ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Discus and SimplyDiscus

Registered Member

Default New to Discus and SimplyDiscus

Hello Everyone!

Finally jumped into Discus keeping after 10 years of hesitation .
    Attaching photos of my fish - I've had these guys for 3 weeks now and they're eating like pigs from my hands, I do a daily 40% water change.
    Hope these guys come out super .
    Any comments and suggestions are welcome
    DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: New to Discus and SimplyDiscus

Nice juvies. Care to share more info. Tank info husbandry info etc. stock all that ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Nice juvies. Care to share more info. Tank info husbandry info etc. stock all that ?
    Thank you! I've got 6 of them in a 50 gallon grow out tank. I feed them 4 times a day with hikari bio gold, tetrabits, fd bloodworms and fd tubifex worms. I change 40℅ of the water everyday and temp is at 29C.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

nice fish. Tetrabits will make your yellow fish appear red and I think he looks awesome as is...

where did you get your discus from?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Renju, welcome to SimplyDiscus!!! Thank you for taking the time to share a little bit about your tank with us. Your juvenile discus are beautiful especially the yellow in my opinion but they are all beautiful. Take good care of them and they will grow to be really stunning discus.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Patty

Hard to pic a favorite here-they are all so beautiful.

Registered Member

Thank you all for your wonderful comments

My discus have been hooked onto FD Australian Blackworms and now they only eat that. I tried starving them for 3-4 days but they wouldn't touch the hikari anymore. I tried the garlic flavor route as well but no luck. I'm worried about prolonged starvation affecting their health and shape. Any other suggestions ? I'm thinking that only Blackworms and tubifex worms aren't an ideal diet for growing discus

Quote Originally Posted by renju7 View Post
    Thank you all for your wonderful comments

My discus have been hooked onto FD Australian Blackworms and now they only eat that. I tried starving them for 3-4 days but they wouldn't touch the hikari anymore. I tried the garlic flavor route as well but no luck. I'm worried about prolonged starvation affecting their health and shape. Any other suggestions ? I'm thinking that only Blackworms and tubifex worms aren't an ideal diet for growing discus
    Most people I have seen say black worms are plenty nutritious as a staple. Have you tried beef heart

Also I'm no expert but have always read that tubifex aren't the best choice as they have the potential of containing some nasty pathogens as they come from sewer systems...like I said mostly what I've read but someone please correct if I'm wrong.

Very nice looking fish BTW. Where are they from ?

My fish also addicted to FDB but they still eat flakes and granule like they used too. Balance diet is the key feed FDB as a treat and feed more granule and flakes instead. I won't give my fish FDB until they finish their flakes

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    My fish also addicted to FDB but they still eat flakes and granule like they used too. Balance diet is the key feed FDB as a treat and feed more granule and flakes instead. I won't give my fish FDB until they finish their flakes
    How do I make my fishes accept other foods now? Would it be ok to fast them for more than a week without any side effects?

Real Name
    Rob

At this size I would personally stay away from fasting them. You don't want to stunt them. I would mix their food with whatever they are currently eating to get them to get used to a new food before I fast. I'm rather new, but I'm pretty sure at this size you don't want to be skipping any meals.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRobV View Post
    At this size I would personally stay away from fasting them. You don't want to stunt them. I would mix their food with whatever they are currently eating to get them to get used to a new food before I fast. I'm rather new, but I'm pretty sure at this size you don't want to be skipping any meals.
    Exactly what i was thinking. Looks like I will have to trick them into accepting other food somehow.

Registered Member

Help! The pelvic fins of two of my discus seems to be disintegrating. I'd treated using Melafix & Pimafix (as per instructions) for the required length of time. They get better but then a month after treatment, it re-occurs. The weird part is that it's always the same 2 that always get affected (Red Valentine and the Tiger Turq). I am not sure what more I should be doing!!

Help! The pelvic fins of two of my discus seems to be disintegrating. I'd treated using Melafix & Pimafix (as per instructions) for the required length of time. They get better but then a month after treatment, it re-occurs. The weird part is that it's always the same 2 that always get affected (Red Valentine and the Tiger Turq). I am not sure what more I should be doing!!
    What are your water parameters?

40% per day with 6 in a 50 being fed 4 times per day may not be enough. You may want to start with increasing wc before meds
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Ryan is right, start with increasing water change percentages but one other thing, Melafix and Pimafix are completely hopeless. Some call them snake oil as they have very little medicinal value in their ingredients. do you have pictures?
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast