ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 125-150g aquarium for $100 on craigslist.. Would a upper level hold this ?

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: 125-150g aquarium for $100 on craigslist.. Would a upper level hold this ?

Here is a great video on how to seal a leaking tank. I have tried to seal many old tanks and have most have not held water for very long. This doesn't mean it leaks out fast but they usually all leak. The ones that did like yours are doing always got worse. I hope you have better luck than me as I love the 135's.

Kraig

Registered Member

Default Re: 125-150g aquarium for $100 on craigslist.. Would a upper level hold this ?

Thats exactly how i did mine.. except i didnt use masking tape for the bottom seal. The bottom seals need to be thick. And the side seals need to be as thick as the glass is. so in my case 1/2 inch thick. Thats why you can see i have straight lines on all my corner (minus that ugly one). Ive re-sealed 3 tanks so far but only a 30g and 44g pentagon. And now this 135g.

Anyway a little update. I tried blowing in that corner tonight and no water. I stuck a thin 26 GA peice of steel in there to pry back the trim a little, shined a flash light in and its dry as a bone there. So i guess it was just water that leaked down inside the trim when i was setting the tank up. LOL that puts a big sigh of relief for my chest.. because i was worried lol

As i said my 92g scared me like this the other day too, when i moved it like a cup full of water came out of the trim.. and i noticed the corners of the 92g bowfront the trim has a big cup like section of it under the glass that holds water.. I poured a little water from a bottle on the trim and it went right to the corners and sat in the cupped sections until it filled up enough to leak out the bottom. Same thing happend here.. reaching down into 24 inches of water on a chair to stand on your arms/chest get wet and i probably got alot of water inside the trim from that and it just needed time to dry out. Ill keep an eye on it though.

I suspect it might also be condensation from the window.. This corner is against my window and its 20f outside. My window when closed gets a crap ton of moisture on it. and i had it open the other night and just had my blinds down.. this morning my blinds had water in them lol.. The heat from the tank and cold air is causing condensation.. So i just closed the window, blinds and my curtains to keep moisture from building up
    Last edited by Candydiscus; 12-10-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123