AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus tank setup

Registered Member

Cool New Discus tank setup

Dear all at SD,

Greetings from Bangalore.

Background:

I have kept quite a few different fish over the past few years. Flowerhorn, tetras, Cichlids, Pacu, Discus etc.. etc.. albeit in very poor conditions because the know-how on fish keeping out there is very poor. I had set up juvie discus grow tank 7 years back when I was in my when i was still in school. It was a 40 gallon tank and i had set it up for water changes and used to do 50% every other day. I had initially bought 6 of them but three died the very next day, so there 3 of them left. And they were growing out pretty well, however after about 4 months, The supply of river water ( ~TDS 300) stopped to my place and we had to get water through other sources and I couldn't afford an RO set up back then. So i had to give away the Fish. I have not kept any fish for almost 6 years now.

Current Plans:

I am planning on starting a Discus Juvies grow out tank. Fingers crossed.

Tank Setup:

Dimensions: 3.9' L X 1.4 B X 1.1' H. ~50 gal.
    The dimensions are a bit odd, I know, I got the tank second hand from the LFS. I am yet to clean it and remove of all the gunk and try to get it to the best shape. Will start a fishless cycling with Ammonia soon.

Decor: Will go with a BB tank with a climber's roots dipped in the tank.

Water: Will do 50% water changes everyday with aerated-aged tap water. I don't have a TDS meter, but have a fair idea that the water is around 700 tds. I am not sure of the pH as of yet will include that later.

Filtration: I am planning on using 2 sponge filters, and a 300 Watt heater. I haven't given much thought on the lighting. I am planning on having the top of the tank open.

Stocking: I intend to grow out 10 juvies of about 2" to 3". I have not yet finalised the discus i am going to buy, but then again I haven't started my Fishless cycling still.

Feeding: I intend to feed Tetra Bits, and other available foods. 3 times a day.

Goals: Just having fun watching discus grow.

Thanks
    Raj
    Last edited by discusymphysodon; 12-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Registered Member

Default Additonal Questions on the above.

The height of the tank seems to be a bit to low, will it cause a problem?

Should I add the climber plant towards the end of the fishless cycle?

Should i invest in a TDS meter? I would prefer to go with an HM but there seem to be only fake ones here on amazon.

Would the 700 TDS at tap, cause a concern, should i go with an RO unit. Although I doubt I could invest in it.

Would I require more mechanical filtration and do juvies need a lot of flow in their water.

Should I be keeping at least a mesh on the top of the tank? although i really like open top tanks, it is too much fun to look at fish from the top. Discus however look mostly 1D from the top ;-)

Any suggestions on whom I can buy Discus from in Bangalore.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Regards
    Raj
    Last edited by discusymphysodon; 12-01-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: New Discus tank setup

Hi Raj, welcome to SimplyDiscus! I have been to Bangalore a few times, what a beautiful green city

One question I would ask regarding your plans is if you plan on upgrading the tank at some point? Once discus start getting bigger (4" +) they will require about 10 gallons per discus.

Registered Member

Hi Eric,

I would be upgrading my tank once they grow up. Any suggestion on what tank size/ Dimensions i should be looking for?

How long ago have you visited B'lore? I ain't beautiful anymore :-( Breaks my heart

Regards
    Raj

Real Name
    Eric

Hi Raj,

As long as you follow the 10 gallon per discus rule you should be OK, especially if it is a discus only tank. Others may have more info to offer.

I have been to Bangalore 3 times over the past 10 years and I have definitely seen the changes that have come with growth.. It is still one of my favorite towns to visit in Asia / Indian subcontinent. I have never had a bite of food there that wasn't delicious.

Registered Member

Thanks Eric,

Will then upgrade accordingly.

Great to hear you still love this city, I love it too. And touché on the food part.

Registered Member

Quick Update:

I have ordered most of things needed for the tank, 70% of the items have arrived.

I bought a TDS meter and it showed a reading of 1200, Should i still be using my tap water?

Need your help.