AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50% Water Change with Tap Water (not aged)?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: 50% Water Change with Tap Water (not aged)?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    That would be the opposite with my water.You don't want bacteria in the aging water,so leave the chlorine;it will evaporate within 24 hours on its own.You don't want a cycle to start in the aging barrel,so no need for a filter.My understanding with chloramine is the bond with conditioners are time limited and when in the tank the filters and BB will break down the ammonia in the bond removing it completely(this might be something I read some place and may not be correct).I have never had slime in my aging barrel.The barrel hasn't been cleaned for years.
    We don't have chloramine in our city water. I aware that chlorine will off gas fairly quickly but Prime address other issues also. As far as the the slim, i've only had any when I didn't treat when filling the barrel. I don't use a filter either just a stone and heater.

Real Name
    Mervin

We are lucky here,I guess.We only use chlorine in our water,too.I usually don't use conditioners at all with aged water,only when I need some water quickly from the tap.The water here is good to drink from the tap,so it can't be that bad as far as heavy metals are concerned.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

I filter my water through a catalytic carbon filter that removes chloramines. I do not age my water for grow outs, however, during the winter months you may discover an increase in carbon dioxide in your water. If you age your water this is generally less of an issue. A simple solution otherwise is to take a sizeable air stone, place it close to the surface of the water in your tank and blast it with air. This will blow off the carbon dioxide.

Real Name
    Filip

Aging the water serves two purposes of stabilizing PH and outgassing the tap water from dissolved gasses . You don't need more than 24 hours to achieve that with some surface agitation in the aging barell .
    Keeping the water for too long in the aging barell leaves an opportunity of bacteria and other life forms to start forming in the aging barrel .
    The same goes with putting the dechlorinator in the aging barrel , we instantly dechlor the aging water leaving the opportunity for some bacteria to form in water . I always put dechlor only in my tank right before I start pumping the aged water in it . I like my aging tank to stay as sterile as possible and tapwater chlorine levels ensures that for me .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

90% WC here straight out of tap with prime daily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12