ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning filters off during feedings

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Turning filters off during feedings

I have a controller that operates my heaters and both filters. Push a button when feeding and they stay off for whatever amount of time you have it set for. I set mine for 10 minutes

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Ricardo,

Wow this is going to help me so much. Thanks.

kenny
    We are all about making discus raising easier around here

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I've used the worm cone, but blue rams would go in and grap the cubes out. So I just started to just squeeze the FDBW cube and let my discus nibble from my hand and then release the cube. All my fish will eat the worms from the surface the last few yrs. That's why I turn my pump off during feeding and turn it back on after feeding. By the way running K-1w/ 5 air stones, poret foam and have Bio media reactor still running in the sump, so no bio filtration will be stopped. Also using remote power switch for return pump recommended by Ricardo.

Real Name
    Patty

I like Marks idea of using that automatic timer. I'm always afraid I'll forget to turn filters back on....
    Also remember seeing that cone in your tank Ricardo and wondering what it was. Where do I get this inverted cone?

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I like Marks idea of using that automatic timer. I'm always afraid I'll forget to turn filters back on....
    Also remember seeing that cone in your tank Ricardo and wondering what it was. Where do I get this inverted cone?
    Hi Patty, you may be able to find it cheaper but I am an Amazon addict... Just flip the cone for feeding dry worms. Pointed down for frozen blood worms.

https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Prod...ds=cone+feeder
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hi Patty, you may be able to find it cheaper but I am an Amazon addict... Just flip the cone for feeding dry worms. Pointed down for frozen blood worms.

https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Prod...ds=cone+feeder
    +1. It is just a regular worm cone. I personally like the blue ones. They seem to have an easier time getting them from the blue than the white but this is just my personal opinion.

You can find the blue ones from Dan's place I believe.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    +1. It is just a regular worm cone. I personally like the blue ones. They seem to have an easier time getting them from the blue than the white but this is just my personal opinion.

You can find the blue ones from Dan's place I believe.
    Is this the one Ricardo? They do have a hard time getting the food out of the clear ones I have. Probably why they are knocking it out of the ring in frustration! Thanks for the heads up.
    www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormAccessoriesM.html
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Ricardo

Is this the one Ricardo? They do have a hard time getting the food out of the clear ones I have. Probably why they are knocking it out of the ring in frustration! Thanks for the heads up.
    that is exactly the one

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Traditionally,the feeding cones are designed for live worms,the idea being the worms slowly wiggle out the little holes and the fish grab them.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

We are all about making discus raising easier around here
    For sure

I love when I run in to members like you that don't feed FDBW on inverted cones.

Do yourself a favor and get a $3 cone and invert it. Put the cubes under water and into the cone. Done! No more mess. Here's a vid of my group as babies with the cone:

As far as the OP's statement, yes, turning off filters is the only way I feed BH. If I didn't, all my food would go in to my sump and that would foul really quick. After BH feedings I do water changes and none of it ever makes it to my sump.
    +1 on this great idea. I used to attach a cone to an undergravel uplift tube to feed flakes or anything else that I didn't want polluting the tank. A little unsightly but it dispersed less.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
    I have a controller that operates my heaters and both filters. Push a button when feeding and they stay off for whatever amount of time you have it set for. I set mine for 10 minutes
    Hi, could you let me know what controller you are using? Would really like to fit one to most of my tanks. Thank you
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 12-06-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks! I'm getting a cone and will call it a rickztahone cone! Love this site and the people here-the BEST!

Registered Member

Some people never turn off their filters xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4s7F0-Mitg

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

So far I have always left my filters on 24/7 but growing out discus is going to be a completely new ball game for me. I am used to feeding mbunas, tetras and fantails very sparingly, even fasting them. If I want to grow discus to dinner plate size I will feed rich food every 2-3 hours and (even with a prefilter sponge on the intake to be wrinsed at least once a day) I would like to avoid messy food being sucked in the canister and make it awkward to keep the water pristine.
    I would like to wire some kind of timer switch that once pressed can shut off the filters at feeding time and automatically restart them after a set time (somewhere in the 5-10 minute range, just enough time for the fish to eat and for me to syphon any leftovers from the bare bottom of the tank). I am not very electrically savvy but I can probably get my head round wiring a multifunction timer like
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omron-Multifunc ... Ciid%253A3
    To achieve the desired interval should i select mode: flicker off start?

Alternatively I was wondering if there is a way of "wiring backwards" a simple lag time switch such as those used to turn the lights on in stairwells, but so that it opens the circuit for a set time rather than closing it.

I am also looking at the Inkbird twin relay timer, does it have a "temporary off" function?

Advice greatly appreciated

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast