ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning filters off during feedings

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Turning filters off during feedings

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi, could you let me know what controller you are using? Would really like to fit one to most of my tanks. Thank you
    It's called Reek Keeper Lite. There's a lot of different ones out there and a lot of different opinions but this is the one I have and i'm happy with it.

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

Alternatively I was wondering if there is a way of "wiring backwards" a simple lag time switch such as those used to turn the lights on in stairwells, but so that it opens the circuit for a set time rather than closing it.
    Absolutely!! They are made to work both ways. Here's a link to the exact timer I use on my main filters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are instructions included for wiring it "backwards" but essentially, the white wire goes to the silver terminal on your outlet. The black wire goes to the terminal on the switch marked "Load 2 In." Then another black wire is attached to the "Load 2 Out" terminal on the switch and is attached to the black (brass) terminal on the outlet. Your pump/filter/or whatever is plugged into the outlet. The switch is spring loaded and can be set for anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours. Then the circuit is closed and the pumps or whatever come back on. We've been using these for years and they are awesome.

Real Name
    Phil

Today is day 2 for me of the cone and no dice, I have tried a few methods to attract them but still nothing... My fish seem to want nothing to do with feeding from the surface and pulling the food off the top... My domestics would go nuts for that, my wilds are like no way man... Odd...

In the past, I never used a sock over the intake to the sump. Why? I have no damn Idea! I grabbed a nice thick one the other day and this thing is a blessing, it is just a big pre-filter, all the water runs through it prior to getting into the rest of the sump. I have been rinsing it daily to every other day. So as annoying as it has been w the worms all over, it isn't so bad with this guy in place. I am hoping my guys take to Al's new discus chow, which sinks and maybe that can become a nice staple for them. Ill find out in a few days when it arrives.

Has anyone ever bought, built, created a pre filter sleeve almost for an over flow? My overflow seems pretty standard, little slots along the top tro bottom, water trickles in and down tot he sump to be returned. I was thinking of maybe cutting some pre-filter material to slide in or infront of it to catch bigger particles passing through? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Today is day 2 for me of the cone and no dice, I have tried a few methods to attract them but still nothing... My fish seem to want nothing to do with feeding from the surface and pulling the food off the top... My domestics would go nuts for that, my wilds are like no way man... Odd...
    Hey Phil. If the domestics are going for it and the the wilds aren't then the wilds will normally learn the behaviors from the domestics unless you keep them in separate tanks. I keep both together and have never had a wild that didn't end up learning new behaviors from the domestics.

Real Name
    Phil

That may be the cvase stu, however my domestics are gone , all sold, Im stuck with only lowly wild discus now, LOL!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
    It's called Reek Keeper Lite. There's a lot of different ones out there and a lot of different opinions but this is the one I have and i'm happy with it.
    Thanks (suppose it is Reefkeeper) looking into it

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by SomeFin's Fishy View Post
    Absolutely!! They are made to work both ways. Here's a link to the exact timer I use on my main filters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are instructions included for wiring it "backwards" but essentially, the white wire goes to the silver terminal on your outlet. The black wire goes to the terminal on the switch marked "Load 2 In." Then another black wire is attached to the "Load 2 Out" terminal on the switch and is attached to the black (brass) terminal on the outlet. Your pump/filter/or whatever is plugged into the outlet. The switch is spring loaded and can be set for anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours. Then the circuit is closed and the pumps or whatever come back on. We've been using these for years and they are awesome.
    Thanks real useful, might go for the similar model just with shorter timers, maybe up to 15 or 30 minutes. As usual something made just a few hundred miles from here (says made in Tunisia) has to go across the Atlantic aand back again), can't seem to get them in Europe! May go to my local electrical suppliers and see what they have, I basically need a timer switch that beyond the normal COM and NO (normally open) terminals has a NC (normally closed) one too. Thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Phil, they will get it up. Put it in the cone and walk away. Soon they will find it and eat

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks (suppose it is Reefkeeper) looking into it
    Yeah I misspelled it

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
    Yeah I misspelled it
    Automatic text comes up with interesting things sometimes... Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    That may be the cvase stu, however my domestics are gone , all sold, Im stuck with only lowly wild discus now, LOL!
    I'll bet if you bought one medium sized, relatively inexpensive, domestic fish and put it in with your wilds it would teach them some new tricks.

Real Name
    Manny

Hey Phil, I've been using feeder pouches for fdbw. They're a bit more expensive but my discus love eating from them.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ArwkuYDnk

Quote Originally Posted by tunerhead24 View Post
    Hey Phil, I've been using feeder pouches for fdbw. They're a bit more expensive but my discus love eating from them.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ArwkuYDnk
    That is a great idea. No reason you couldn't make your own very cheaply. I actually have thousands of feet of an almost identical mesh tubing right now since we are cutting it down for my husband's company to use as a sleeve to package tools. I thought about using it as of kind of aquarium application but was not sure what it was made of. If it were washed I would think it would be fine since it is not in there long enough to leech anything into the water. I am sure there are many other materials you could make your own out of as well. Suction cups would work just fine with these also.

Thanks for the idea.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Piggy backing on the 'sock' idea posted in this thread...would it make sense to put a media filter bag over my Fx6 intake? It may not look great but wouldnt it serve at least as a filter for larger food items going into the canister?

Real Name
    Steve

I haven't used a sock, but I did use a sponge-like pre-filter on my intake tube when I used canisters. Many folks recommend them. I forget where I got them. Probably Jehmco.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast