ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Looking for Solid Wood Stand fo 125G or 150G

Registered Member

Default Looking for Solid Wood Stand fo 125G or 150G

Hi All,

I'm looking for solid wood stand for 125G or 150G. So the size should be 72"L x 18".

Any good deals or anyone making them custom with a good price?

Thanks

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Looking for Solid Wood Stand fo 125G or 150G

You maybe lucky and find a solid wood stand on Kijiji.
    If your wanting an idea on a custom build... http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.co...ium-cabinetry/ or you can find a local wood working cabinet shop near you.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    You maybe lucky and find a solid wood stand on Kijiji.
    If your wanting an idea on a custom build... http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.co...ium-cabinetry/ or you can find a local wood working cabinet shop near you.

...Ralph
    What is Kijiji? Craigslist?

Those custom cabinets are nice. But I don't think I have the budget for it. Not sure what the price range for those.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post

Those custom cabinets are nice. But I don't think I have the budget for it. Not sure what the price range for those.
    Kijiji is basically a site where someone can buy or sell any product you can think of. There are lots of deals new and used.
    When your on the site just pick the city you live in located near the upper right corner and what your looking for and the search engine will display what is available.
    Solid wood furniture comes at with a hefty price but remember you get what you pay for.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Naz

Kijiji is in Canada,Similar to Craigslist
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

When I started looking for a new stand I was astonished at the prices for poorly constructed stands out there. I was even more astonished at the prices of the better built ones. That's when so decided to just build my own.

I finally got around to framing it. It literally cost me less than $40 in lumber to frame the stand. Plywood and stain will be less than $100 additional

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

If you are at all handy, you can build a pretty awesome looking stand for a reasonable price. For tanks larger than 55 gallons, the frame can be constructed of simple 2x4s and covered with 3/4" plywood. The plywood can be purchased in a variety of veneers (Oak, Cherry, Burch, etc). Your can also purchase pre-finished cabinet doors in a variety of finishes (or unfinished) from Home Depot or Menards, for a very reasonable price. Add a little crown moulding around the base and top, and you can make yourself an awesome looking custom cabinet.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SomeFin's Fishy View Post
    If you are at all handy, you can build a pretty awesome looking stand for a reasonable price. For tanks larger than 55 gallons, the frame can be constructed of simple 2x4s and covered with 3/4" plywood. The plywood can be purchased in a variety of veneers (Oak, Cherry, Burch, etc). Your can also purchase pre-finished cabinet doors in a variety of finishes (or unfinished) from Home Depot or Menards, for a very reasonable price. Add a little crown moulding around the base and top, and you can make yourself an awesome looking custom cabinet.
    just make sure you use deck screws and NOT drywall screws....

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    just make sure you use deck screws and NOT drywall screws....
    Lol. That would be an epic fail.

I used #8 2.5" screws on mine.

Registered Member

Hi guys,

I tried to determine the weight of a 125g glass tank vs. acrylic one. There are many fish tank weight calculator websites and each of them gives me a different number after I entered the dimension of the tank.

I wanted to get an acrylic fish tank (125g) and I wanted to know the weight of it vs. a glass one.

Thanks

Real Name
    Naz

Hi guys,

I tried to determine the weight of a 125g glass tank vs. acrylic one. There are many fish tank weight calculator websites and each of them gives me a different number after I entered the dimension of the tank.

I wanted to get an acrylic fish tank (125g) and I wanted to know the weight of it vs. a glass one.

Thanks
    1 gallon of fresh water is about 8.36 pounds, approximate weight of an empty glass 125 is 206 pounds, Acrylic aquariums generally weigh around 40 to 50% weight of glass tanks . so around 100 lbs is an estimate for an acrylic 125 hope this helps.
    Last edited by Akili; 01-07-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: to add""weight of glass tanks""
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Thanks for the info Akili.

Wow, a 125g glass tank is 206 lb. That's heavy. I guess a 75g should be 120 lb? A 125g acrylic tank will be lighter than a 75g glass tank. I like it.

I looked the big apple custom acrylic aquarium and they want $1300 for a new 125G acrylic tank. Geee..

Love Mark and pittdog's suggestions. Totally DIY. Take your time, ensure all 2 x 4s are level and build panels around them. Then add canopy that suits you. At first it's scary thinking how heavy a full tank is but pounds per square inch of one 2 x 4 (even at different lengths) is very comforting.
    -Elliot