ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning a winter vacation somewhere in the sun ?

Default Anyone planning a winter vacation somewhere in the sun ?

A little heads up 'tip' for you folks wanting to take a winter vacation somewhere warm, but haven't decided on a destination ?

Linda & I just returned from a week long stay at an adults only, all inclusive resort just 15 minutes south of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and I just felt the need to pass on this info as a matter of interest.

And just so you know, Linda & I have traveled a great deal over the years, and stayed at a good number of quality resorts, or all-inclusives, in several different countries, but have never run into anything as top quality as this place:

It's called the Grand Fiesta Americana, a 1 year new, 3 tower resort right on the beach, that is rated 5 Star (someone on Trip Advisor even rated it a 6 -Star - LOL), that is very competitively priced ( translation: affordable)

Here are some of the features:
    - Modern - All glass & marble throughout, and as clean as a whistle !
    Very impressive overall.

- All rooms (except Penthouse type suites) are of the same size & layout, all facing the ocean, and all with a good-sized , furnished balcony ( & some with Jacuzzi tub). They are 3 categories of 'suites' - 'Junior', 'Deluxe Junior', and 'Grand Junior'.

- Higher rooms - 'Grand Suites' - are priced more dearly but have great sea views on these topmost floors - 11 to 14 ( the latter being the uppermost floor) have access to the 'Grand Club', an exclusive, hardly utilized haven serving lovely breakfast & lunches to only those on these 4 floors - also serving cocktails & hors d'oeuvres till 10 pm).

- Staff service is impeccable throughout the resort.

- There are 7 restaurants, all serving excellent meals. The Mexican, Asian, and Italian restaurants have superb menus and the presentation is nothing short of outstanding ! Even room service has very good food, and the all day buffet is the best we have ever seen, with an unbelievably wide variety of excellent choices.

We can't say enough good things about this unique place, and certainly plan to return sometime.

Google it if you're interested - we feel you won't be disappointed if you try it. Just had to pass this on to you fellow members.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Anyone planning a winter vacation somewhere in the sun ?

Hey Paul;

We were going to take a vacation down in the Caribbean this Winter. My daughters and my nephews wanted someplace warm, but then came Zika. (That's probably why the prices are so reasonable!) Now, we're planning to meet up in Las Vegas.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

P.S. ...........

Someone just PM'd me about prices/affordability outside of the room prices only, which are quoted directly by the resort itself, so here is some addt'l information for the rest of you:

Anyone interested should look into booking a special 7 day deal provided by a usual resort booking agency having some clout to obtain bargain pricing.

For example, I understand that in the U.S., these types of deals are provided by the likes of Wal-Mart & Costco - but I'm sure there are many others. You'll need to check this out.

Don't mind telling you that we booked through Air Canada Vacations, but deals here in Canada are also available through SunWing Vacations, Air Transat, TripAdvisor & WestJet.

Our full cost was $3,850. CDN $, all-in for the 2 of us, (i.e. that's less than $3,000. USD) and that included an upgrade to Business Class for the return flites. ( It was only $150. cad $ extra per person for the upgrade to Business Class on Air Canada Rouge.)
    Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-11-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: $ quote error

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Hey Paul;

We were going to take a vacation down in the Caribbean this Winter. My daughters and my nephews wanted someplace warm, but then came Zika. (That's probably why the prices are so reasonable!) Now, we're planning to meet up in Las Vegas.

Willie
    Hi Willie,
    We didn't even see a single mosquito at this resort, but maybe it was just the time of year.

I wish I was going somewhere, but as it strands, not likely. I almost tried a trip to the Everglades (Fl) but camping spots were all taken and I am limited to exactly when we could go. Oh well....another year.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Cool info Paul. I will check to see if we can make it out there. We missed our Time Share vacation this year but that only means we roll over the points to this following year and can take 2 trips.

We are always looking for nice places to travel to.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hey Ricardo,
    This Grand Fiesta resort also provides/has a time share element, so perhaps it may be possible (dependent on the features of your time share & this one) to trade a week of yours for a week at this one.
    I don't know how these things work, so maybe I'm way off base in this regard.

Thanks for sharing. the coolest warm place i went during a winter was Peru for an ecotourism trek through the rainforest. unlike your holiday,,,there were biting insects : )

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Thanks for sharing. the coolest warm place i went during a winter was Peru for an ecotourism trek through the rainforest. unlike your holiday,,,there were biting insects : )
    Jack, have you posted photos from that Trip?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Actually in the process of renewing my passport now, dying to travel somewhere it's been to long since doing it as a civilian. No current plans but I do keep a list in my pocket of where I want to go. Good friends of mine are toying with the idea of having their Wedding down in Costa Rica so I'd love that to pan out.
    -Matt

That sounds great, Matt.
    I've wanted to visit Costa Rica for many years now - it's one of the few popular vacation spots we haven't been to - yet !

Real Name
    Matt

I've called it paradise ever since going there in like 2006 Paul. I feel like I went before it was overly popular, but not real sure....just the perception I have. I'm sure it has gotten more touristy since. It was the most beautiful place I've ever personally seen on this earth. Such good energy to it too, and easy to travel to speaking english. Like here in the states, everything is English with a Spanish translation, down there it's Spanish but everything has an English translation. And when I went you could pay with American dollars everywhere. Not sure how much has changed since but I have been dying to go back. The amount of wildlife down there is incredible, some of the best Birding around. To see pairs of Scarlet Macaws flying and living in the wild is one of the most vivid memories I have, and Toucans too! Iguanas and Poison dart frogs everywhere, same with primates. The cloud forests. Just such a beautiful place. Never had a bad meal there and had fresh fruit with EVERY meal. I highly recommend the Pacific side of the country, it was my favorite and where we spent most of the time. Oh and look in just about any body of freshwater and you find Cichlids! Convicts, wolf cichlids, everything. If you are a coffee drinker you can't beat it, coffee bushes and fresh brews everywhere.

On that trip I accidentally formatted my camera's card halfway through so I lost half the trip's pictures in a few seconds, I was sick to my stomach. Some of the best hummingbird and butterfly shots I've ever gotten and a lot from the cloud forests/birds. Ever since then Costa Rica has been my White Whale, and I've been scheming to go back ever since even to just re-shoot what I lost. It will always be #1 on my travel list until I go finish it. May not be the next trip taken, or the next, but it will always stay #1 until I get back lol.

Before I learned how to resize photos more than thumbnails, I'd have to dig up the originals from where ever they are buried.

-Matt

Great photos Matt.
    Your second pic looks very much like the many, almost always deserted, beaches in Malaysia (where often the only living things seen are sea turtles laying their eggs on the beach).

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jack, have you posted photos from that Trip?

al
    no, it was years ago, they are all film photos. only on is my user image on this site.

Just thought of reviving this discussion as Linda & I are seriously thinking of places we might like to go in 2019.

Anybody have any good tips on super vacation spots - particularly any adults only all-inclusive resorts which we quite like ?

We went to an adults only, all inclusive in Cabo San Lucas last year (tip of the Baja), and really enjoyed it.

I think I mentioned before that we really like Mexico and have also booked a 7 day vacation for next month (Dec. 13-20)
    at an all-inclusive in Ixtapa, and are really looking forward to that since we haven't been to that area of Mexico.

Always like to hear about travellers' vacation experiences, particularly to sun, sand & ocean spots.

Anyone been to Jamaica in recent years ? Please tell us about it - that's one place we'd love to return to some day - it's been 20 years since we were there - in the Ocho Rios/Dunn's River Falls area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast