ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Can a pair breed and raise fry in a 20 gallon tank?

Registered Member

Default Can a pair breed and raise fry in a 20 gallon tank?

I was just wondering, can you breed and raise fry to 1 inch with the parents in a 20 gallon tank?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Can a pair breed and raise fry in a 20 gallon tank?

Raising the fry to one inch would be pushing it.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

How should water be changed throughout the breeding process, from hatching, wrigglers, to fry?

Real Name
    Willie

20 Gal is really too much to use as a breeding tank, so raising fry is out of the question. I would recommend a 29 gal tank as a minimum for breeding purposes. I prefer 40 breeders, which are easier to clean. Fry respire rapidly and put out a huge amount of waste. I would do 100% water changes daily in a 20 gal tank just to raise fry. Even so, I doubt you can get them to 1" without significant stunting.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    I was just wondering, can you breed and raise fry to 1 inch with the parents in a 20 gallon tank?
    NO,you can't.

Real Name
    Naz

How should water be changed throughout the breeding process, from hatching, wrigglers, to fry?
    Some people do use 20 gallon tanks for breeding., as a matter of fact I have a pair that have spawned five days ago in a 20 gallon tank.The wrigglers are not free swimming yet. For the first 48 hours I did no water change.On the third day after the spawn after Ihad seen the wrigglers I did a 25% water change with aged tap water. Yesterday I did a 40 % water change and this morning a 50% water change Both these water changes were with aged tap water. While doing the water changes I was very careful with the siphon hose that it did get any where close to the wrigglers or the cone and tried to siphon out as much waste as I could from the opposite side of the cone. As soon as the wrigglers are attached,I intend to do 50 % water changes twice a day. Lastly the plan is to do 50 % water change in the morning and 80 to 100 % water change when the fry are on baby brine shrimp feeding.This is the first time I have used a 20 gallon tank. I have always used a 35 gallon or larger tanks in the past.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

I have four pairs breeding in 20longs right now. I have fry at 3.5-4inches right now and I have raised them to adults before as well. I keep the fry and the parents in the 20longs until things start looking crowded then move to a 55gal. Water changes are key. 50% at least every other day for me on the 55gal. 20gals are nice to start but you really need a good amount of water volume to grow. In my opinion, if you kept maybe on a small percentage of the fry, maybe 10-20, you could get to 1inch but you'd need to move them sooner than later to a bigger tank. Stunting is highly possible without sufficient water changes on that 20gal... you'd need to do probably 50%-75% daily with aged water.

Real Name
    Rick

Depends on the size of the batch of fry, but your really pushing it. Might be doable with 2-3x 80% water changes. You can use a 20 gallon as a breeder, but your going to want to move the fry to a larger tank much sooner than 1./2 inch for a normal sized batch (75 - 150) Larger batches even sooner. A 29/30 gallon is the smallest I recommend.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Is there no threads/stickys related to the breeding process and how to care? I am trying to learn what to do at certain stages of the breeding process such as water change schedule, what to feed, what to do.

Real Name
    Naz

Is there no threads/stickys related to the breeding process and how to care? I am trying to learn what to do at certain stages of the breeding process such as water change schedule, what to feed, what to do.
    This is a very helpful...............http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
    Quote from Colin Powell

Real Name
    Mervin

IMO a 20 gal. is barely big enough for a hospital tank for one adult discus.I couldn't imagine a 6.5"-8" discus being happy in such a small tank.Two and fry = multiple WC's per day,you would think.I had an 8.5" discus in a 20 gal.hospital tank not long ago;it had no room to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    This is a very helpful...............http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
    Great read...Thanks
    Pete
    MAGA

Registered Member

I revived this thread because I was today going to buy a 40 gallon breeder. I'd move all but a pair who are always pecking at the cone but get side tracked by the other discus to the 40 gallon. The pair would remain in the 30. Prior to when I had a breeding program going I had either 4 or 6 20 gallon tanks with spawning pairs in each. After reading these posts I think I will buy a 20 rather than a 40 and then move the breeding pair to the 20 and keep 4 to 5 in the 30 gallon. I am heading for the lFS now to price the 20 and maybe a 30. Either one.