ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time jumps into wilds

Registered Member

Default First time jumps into wilds

Hi All,

As this headline mentions, this is the first time I'll keep wild discus. Let me introduce my tank details:

Tank Dimension: 48-18-18 inch
    Substrate: Sand
    Fish: 4 X 4 inch Cuipeua Semi royal
    Filter: 1 X Eheim 2217, 1 X Eheim 2215
    Filter Media: 2 kg Lava Rock, 2 kg Seachem Denitrate, 2 kg Seachem Matrix, Peat, Sponge
    TDS: 50
    PH: 7.2
    Temperature: 28 degree Celsius
    Decoration: Driftwood
    WC schedule: 10% daily (RO+Tap water mix)

Now since I don't have any firsthand experience on wild discus, so I have few queries:
    1. Whether above criteria is good enough or I have to do some modification?

I am well aware of the fact, 18 inch is not an ideal height for discus tank, but in long term scenario I have a plan to upgrade it. Also for water, my RO water TDS is 30, where as my tap water TDS is 150. My intention is to maintain TDS as 50-60 during first few weeks.

Though I can't reduce my tap water ph & have no intention to charge additional acid to reduce it. Hence I choose Cuipeua discus which is not much delicate like Heckels.

For feed, I have Australian Blackworms, GHM & Tropical wild discus gran, so that will not be any problem for me. For WC, I like to perform 10% daily with 50-50 RO-Tap water.

I would request all of senior & experienced wild discus keepers to help me to make this new venture a successful one. Please suggest me if I am wrong or whether any modification is needed.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: First time jumps into wilds

Welcome bubun! Nice to see you here and researching and getting yourself geared up for your new fish!

Have you already committed to the 4 fish? First off, I would add another fish to make it 5 if you can, Im not a fan of smaller odd numbers, but some people have done ok with a group of 4 but I like to go larger and tend to overstock so take that into consideration. I had 5 wild discus in a 40 breeder for a while and they were doing great, recently moved them to a bigger tank.

I don't think the tank dimensions are that bad.. You have some nice depth and length, the height is fine, its a bit tall but no big deal to me...

I would up that water change schedule. Can you? 10% is really nothing and a drop in the bucket if you ask me... I would try and max out your water changes, especially in the beginning... My wilds seem to do well with less frequent water changes but still big amounts. They didn't seem too keen on daily's, so I was doing 50% every other day. Now in the new tank I am still trying to figure things, but right now I am at about 70% twice a week.

Consistency is key, keep the water fresh and consistent, the more you try and add to it, play with it or distort it in some way, the more room for error and problems you will see...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I agreed with what Phil suggested. I would however suggest doing daily 50% water changes the first week. Generally the tank will have a mini-cycle due to the added bio-load and the WCs help with any measurable ammonia.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Paul

Do you plan on adding more in the future? I started all my groups in 4's in a 40 breeder at first then moved them into a 125G display eventually (total of 11... one passed away). Don't focus too much on pH, TDS, gH... I know most (including myself) try to recreate natural environment but stability and clean water are the 2 most important things. Phil can attest to this, he's been having great success with wilds in tap water. Good luck!

- Paul

Are you based out of India. GHM is predominantly used in India :-). If yes can you please PM me the source and price of the wilds

Registered Member

Hi Phil,

it's nice to talk with you after a long time. Actually I joined this forum & follow since 2006, but somehow I forgot my credentials & hence I have to re-register.

As of now, I'll get or wish to get 4 discus, but my intention is to keep 6-8 wild discus at max. For Water change, I think I didn't mention everything. Actually, after 1 month of quarantine process I'll add discus in my main tank. During quarantine process TDS & water change will be performed in a proper way (30% WC daily). I set my RO TDS as 35-37 & my tap water TDS is around 150. I wish o provide them TDS as 50-55 max. Hence I have to mix 80-20 RO-Tap or so. For WC schedule, apart from siphoning I wish to perform 50 liter/ 20% in every alternate day (is it a good idea ?)

Pat & Phil,

I am in dilemma whether I'll add lava rock inside canister media or inside the tank or my storage barrel where I'll add RO - Tap for 1 day before introducing into main tank. As you know lava rock will loose its functionality over time if clogs inside canister. I seek your suggestion for this.

Since Lago Cuipeua is a white water so this cuipeua discus is a white water fish. But many wild discus keepers keep their cuipeua in black water too. So adding some leaf litters or commercial blackwater extract is a good idea or just stick on white water?

Paul,

As of now, I'll focus on this 48-18-18 tank but as mentioned will add 2-4 more discus in future. For PH, I don't focus as I can't control it. But just for first few days I wish to provide them 50-55 TDS but slowly increase in future.

Kroyin,

It's BHM (Beef Heart mix), was a typo for G, and not from India man, but wish to go there in future.
    Last edited by bubun; 12-15-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I think lava rock is used to house your beneficial bacteria so the correct place would be in your canister. I do not see it being useful in the tank or the storage barrel. Periodic cleaning of your canister filter should prevent any clogging issues.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks Pat. generally I clean my canister in every 1 month interval. So I hope there's wont be any problem in 1 month span.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubun View Post
    2 kg Seachem Denitrate, 2 kg Seachem Matrix
    FYI these two are the exact same material only the "denitrate" is smaller. In fresh water it will not remove any nitrate unless used in an anaerobic condition. I have used it in the past to fill my magnum350 carbon container as you can get a bunch inside the container. It a good media for bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites.

Registered Member

Cuipea is a clearwater lake, just like nhamunda lake or other lakes in a vast alenquer region. Those are intermixed with white water lakes though. Ph in those lakes is near, so not so low. Any pics of the wilds?

Registered Member

Pit,

Actually those filter media that I already have & hence I don't want to change filter media as of now. I prefer a heavy filter media and bit over filtration for my tank.

Yes, cuipeua discus are from white water region, but as many wild discus keepers add some leaf litters or commercial blackwater extract is a good idea for cuipeua discus or just stick on white water?

Once I'll get those wilds, I'll post pics. Now I am gathering all info to all set in this new venture.

Real Name
    Phil

Looking forward to seeing pic! When are you expecting arrival?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubun View Post
    Pit,

Actually those filter media that I already have & hence I don't want to change filter media as of now. I prefer a heavy filter media and bit over filtration for my tank.
    I was not advocating that you change anything. I like overkill also lol . With the marketing of these products a lot of fish keepers hope that the denitrate will in fact remove nitrates in the aquarium and hope for less water changes because of it. In my experience that has never happened for me and others I know that have used it. Because of its smaller size there's a whole lot of surface area there in a small package and it works wonderful as a bio bed. My example is this. My Rena XP3 the denitrate pebbles were mostly too small and would fall through the baskets so the regular matrix being bigger worked better, and as I stated in the other post it worked very well in my Magnum350 carbon container.

You sound like you have some nice fish coming I like others here can't wait to see pictures

Registered Member

Thanks Pit. I also do like over-filtration of my tank, but I may have to add spray bar to my Eheim 2217 to reduce flow rate.
    Yes, expecting those fishes in next week & after 1 month of quarantine process I'll house them at end of January.

BTW, whether TDS 55-60 is good for my cuipeua discus, though lago cuipeua has TDS 35 max.

Registered Member

Here is the update after long time:

I added my discus in my main tank after quarantine procedure. That time I added 4 discus, all from Cuipeua region. But within a week they started fighting with each other. So I did not take any risk and added 2 more cuipeua with them. Within 2-3 days they settled down.

During this procedure, for first 2 days I faced bit issue for my newly introduced fish. My own tank TDS was set @65 where as I took them @25 TDS. Slowly they settled down and showing it's proper color.

Since I have my wilds approx 1 month, so please excuse me for their proper color. Color & pattern will come slowly.

Here's the details of my tank as of now:

TDS: 60
    PH:6.8
    Fish: 6 cuipeua semi royal & cuipeua red solid
    Feeding schedule: BHM, Australian blackworms, Ocean nutrition Discus flakes, Hikari frozen bloodworms (3-4 times a day)

Finally, here's the pictures of them...

IMG_7882.jpg

IMG_7891.jpg
    Last edited by bubun; 02-24-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast