AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: purigen recharge results, this look normal?

Default purigen recharge results, this look normal?

i did the process to recharge purigen

the 1:1 water/chlorox, and the prime soak. skipped the soak in ph buffer.

but a lot of the beads stayed dark, are these typical results?

thanks.

recharged purigen.jpg

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: purigen recharge results, this look normal?

How many prior times had they been recharged? I've recharged mine three times so far and the third time they came just as clean as when they were new. But I only ever let them get as dirty as the darkest bag in your pic.

the small bags, this was their 2nd time.

the big bags, 1st time to recharge.

all beads were as dark as the remaining dark ones, i tried to zoom in more. some came out white, some stayed dark

i'm wondering if just sitting in bucket, the clorox water could not get to all the beads

recharged purigen (2).jpg

Registered Member

Not enough bleach typically is the problem. I always stir about Half way through process. Then again mine is not in bags. I always aim for about 60/40 bleach to water.

As pittdogg said, try a bit more bleach, and stir the bags up well (I use Chinese wooden chopsticks) to ensure the bleach solution is reaching all of the beads within the Purigen bag(s). The entire bead composition throughout in the bag(s) should finish off within a few/several hours, to overnite, looking almost like new - off-white/very light beige.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-17-2016 at 11:12 PM.

thanks. next time i guess i'll dump it out of the mesh bags, i did try to stir it up, but wasn't able to get it all exposed. i was thinking the clorox water would work its way around. guess not.

thanks for feedback.

how do you guys keep from losing beads if not in bag?

Registered Member

I was at Walmart one day seen a giant jar of Valasic pickles for 4$. All I could think of was that it would make a great recharge container. I think it may be 2 quart's but it has served me very well for 10 yrs. now. Like discuspaul I use a piece of wooden dowel rod to stir. I agree that in a few hours it looks new I still go for 24hrs. recharge then I just rinse several times before I refill and add a tablespoon of Safe and soak again 24hrs. rinse well and put back into my reactor.
    I just carefully pour out the water. You will find there are smaller beads that like to flow with the water those I do not worry about losing. I used to pour the media into a very tight mesh bag but have since stopped that. It is easy enough to pour slowly the media stays close to the bottom once settled do not stir up and then try to pour off water
    Last edited by pitdogg2; 12-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    I was at Walmart one day seen a giant jar of Valasic pickles for 4$. All I could think of was that it would make a great recharge container. I think it may be 2 quart's but it has served me very well for 10 yrs. now. Like discuspaul I use a piece of wooden dowel rod to stir. I agree that in a few hours it looks new I still go for 24hrs. recharge then I just rinse several times before I refill and add a tablespoon of Safe and soak again 24hrs. rinse well and put back into my reactor.
    I just carefully pour out the water. You will find there are smaller beads that like to flow with the water those I do not worry about losing. I used to pour the media into a very tight mesh bag but have since stopped that. It is easy enough to pour slowly the media stays close to the bottom once settled do not stir up and then try to pour off water
    that will be better than the 5 gallon bucket i used, thanks for idea

Registered Member

That could get bleach expensive. Lol
    I didn't eat the pickles btw