ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: nutritional value of red wrigglers?

Registered Member

Default nutritional value of red wrigglers?

What is the nutritional value of them?

I put a few in a container a month ago, feeding them old apples and they are going to town, I just started feeding them to some quarter size discus and they are going to town.

Mark

Default Re: nutritional value of red wrigglers?

Hi Mark,
    Red wigglers are a very good food but nutritionally they look sparse at the surface since fed live. The really contain little protein mostly water 80+percent. They are about 10% protein . Very good for micro nutrients based on what you feed them. Just dont rely on them for a main food.
    Details here in an excellent article...
    http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/the-feeders--bugs.html

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Great link, Al. The red wriggler worm nutrition is surprising, as it's so different from earthworms. Well, you learn something new everyday.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

There is one thing that is important: the percentage of protein is not really relevant in my opinión, what is really relevant is how bioavailable is this protein for specifically discus fish. I dont think there are studies about this, are they?. It is hard this topic of the nutrition.

Registered Member

I have read other articles where protein is more than 10%, based on a paper. Although I still think it is impossible to know if you do not test the bioavailability with your specific fish. Not sure if all fish can use the very same protein (I dont think so).

61% crude proteins, 9% fats, and 5% ashes

http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Nutritio...ce-AAF011508W/

Quote Originally Posted by Donethur View Post
    I have read other articles where protein is more than 10%, based on a paper. Although I still think it is impossible to know if you do not test the bioavailability with your specific fish. Not sure if all fish can use the very same protein (I dont think so).

61% crude proteins, 9% fats, and 5% ashes

http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Nutritio...ce-AAF011508W/
    Thats for dry weight. When people culture and feed Red wigglers you have to look at the wet weight protein analysis....thats why its 10% protein (live aka wet weight)verses 60% protein dry.

I am going on a limb here but I am pretty sure(as in 99.999%) that all /most of the protein in a worm is digestible and usable. The area you get into trouble with is when you look at feather meals etc. Those kinds of proteins are less desireable. ...again, I have no proof to cite.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thats for dry weight. When people culture and feed Red wigglers you have to look at the wet weight protein analysis....thats why its 10% protein (live aka wet weight)verses 60% protein dry.

I am going on a limb here but I am pretty sure(as in 99.999%) that all /most of the protein in a worm is digestible and usable. The area you get into trouble with is when you look at feather meals etc. Those kinds of proteins are less desireable. ...again, I have no proof to cite.
    You are right, it is wet vs dry.

Not sure about what you say, but it may be logic as fish eat worms, but probably evolution made to adapt them to what they had available, so first it would be to know if all worms share the very same proteins.

In any case, I also think they use them a lot from the nutritional point of view, and probably you are right, as in the studies I have read, they are useful for correct growth, as well as in my own experience, I have seen good growth rate for discus adding this to the diet (no changes, I just replaced a bit of brine shrimp for this, and the results were GOOD), so probably they use a lot from them.