ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Breeder Grow Out

Registered Member

Default 40 Breeder Grow Out

Hey!
    Thought I'd introduce myself and show you what I've been up to. BJK here, I've been really heavy into reef keeping and some planted tanks over the past 12 years. Recently moved across the country and had to sell all my livestock so I'm going to be venturing into what I think is going to be the most rewarding and challenging corner of aquaria... Discus!

I've been reading all of your posts and learning tons. This site is a wealth of knowledge and I don't think I'd be successful without ink you all.

Current tank: 40 Gallon Breeder

Filtration: hikari sponge filter

Lighting: Finnex 24/7 (I love LEDs... eventually this will be over half of the 125)

Temp: 82-83 Fahrenheit

Diet: 7 am Omega One Frozen, afternoon Brine shrimp flakes, evening frozen beef heart 20 min before the water change.

Water change schedule: 20 gallons tap water daily with water that has been aged for 24 hours and treated with 1 cap of prime.

Fish: 13 Joe Gargas Discus
    4 - Fletchman Turqouise
    3 - White Spotted Super Red
    3- Green Turquoise
    3- Super Red

Size when I acquired them at our local club auction was up to 1-2 cm

Now the largest ones are about 4 cm.

Plan is to grow these fish out until they are large enough to safely live in my 125 gallon with sump (former reef tank!)

Pics coming as soon as I can figure out how to upload from my iPad... it keeps saying upload failed
    Last edited by BJK; 12-18-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Trying to add pics

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: 40 Breeder Grow Out

Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus.Those 13 juveniles are going to outgrow the 40 Gallon Breeder very fast. The photo you want load have to be less than 2MB,you need to resize them.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Cant wait for pics.never heard or seen a green turq. Those fish should not have been sold so early. Sounds like u bought them very small

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus.Those 13 juveniles are going to outgrow the 40 Gallon Breeder very fast. The photo you want load have to be less than 2MB,you need to resize them.
    Thanks! I'll resize them tonight and post them up. How big should my fish be before transferring them into the 125? I can do them in batches as I have different sizes in the 40 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    Cant wait for pics.never heard or seen a green turq. Those fish should not have been sold so early. Sounds like u bought them very small
    I'm excited to see how they color up as the grow! I think where I bought them from typically sells them really young as he thinks they adjust to new water easier? They're doing great so far! Eating machines and really outgoing.

Registered Member

IMG_0286.jpg

This is under the "full sun" mode on my lights. I'll try to play with the settings to get better pictures. My reds are starting to color up,some this week and are really taking off in the growth department.
    Last edited by BJK; 12-18-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Registered Member

Registered Member

IMG_0288.jpg
    Better pic of a red one.

Excuse the food on the bottom, right during a feeding frenzy. They're able to clean all that up in about 10-15 min!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

man, they are tiny....that red (ish) guy with a stress bar on the eye may be an interesting fish...good luck....Keywords: Lots of WCs with aged water!

I know opinion was never asked but the shape of the fish are very concerning. I hope you realize they are stunted. Don't buy that small size

Registered Member

Why do you say they are stunted?? They have quadrupled in 3 weeks so are growing really well. I bought them really small. I've seen other people who have bought from him and over time had really nice fish after growing them out.

Football shape, large eyes and matured color. I'm a breeder and I can distinguish whether their stunted or not. I usually cull them when I see some of my fry like that. How old are they now?

Registered Member

I agree, I got some free discus at 1" and the biggest one is now about 2.5" but they are stunted like yours. Here's my thread if you want to compare. Read some of the replies, there are links to what the babies should be shaped like. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...l-sized-babies

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I agree, I got some free discus at 1" and the biggest one is now about 2.5" but they are stunted like yours. Here's my thread if you want to compare. Read some of the replies, there are links to what the babies should be shaped like. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...l-sized-babies
    Well I'm going to stay positive and continue my plan. There has been a steady growth curve so far. I'll keep you posted.

Registered Member

Here's to hoping yours are younger than when I got mine, which were already a couple months old but only less than an inch long. I would recommend changing more water if you can since you are aging your water, and doing your water change not too long after feeding the beefheart, even if they are kind of picking at it here and there. I added a couple pics from today on my thread if you want to see what kind of growth/shape I've seen in mine after a while of good diet and water changes. Do you happen to know how old yours are?

Good luck anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast