AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 Breeder Grow Out

Registered Member

Default Re: 40 Breeder Grow Out

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Here's to hoping yours are younger than when I got mine, which were already a couple months old but only less than an inch long. I would recommend changing more water if you can since you are aging your water, and doing your water change not too long after feeding the beefheart, even if they are kind of picking at it here and there. I added a couple pics from today on my thread if you want to see what kind of growth/shape I've seen in mine after a while of good diet and water changes. Do you happen to know how old yours are?
    I emailed the breeder this morning. They were all under 8 weeks when I acquired them. The oldest (largest) are about 11 weeks old max at this point and the others may be a few weeks younger.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I emailed the breeder this morning. They were all under 8 weeks when I acquired them. The oldest (largest) are about 11 weeks old max at this point and the others may be a few weeks younger.
    They may be a bit stunted. At 11 weeks good growth would have them closer to 6-7 cm.
    "Things don't have to change the world to be important."

These are my Giant Flora exactly @ 8 weeks old sizes between 1.5"-2". Hatch date 8/27/2016...

IMAG0708[1].jpgIMAG0709[1].jpgIMAG0710[1].jpg

Registered Member

Those look great! Where does one measure, mouth to tail or just the body?

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Those look great! Where does one measure, mouth to tail or just the body?
    As you can see they don't have colors yet. These are now normal growth rate for healthy fry.

TL - from mouth to tail.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    As you can see they don't have colors yet. These are now normal growth rate for healthy fry.

TL - from mouth to tail.
    Well I was definitely measuring wrong. The 3 biggest and oldest which are at tops 11 weeks old measured in at 6+ cm mouth to tail. Didn't measure correctly at all before!

If were you, I would just cull all the stunted ones. There's no point of continuing because stunting are irreversible.They will stay small and will not reach its full potential.

Registered Member

I'd personally keep them all if you're going for a learning experience, since they tend to do better in higher numbers. There can be a learning curve when growing out tiny discus, and you can learn what works for you and what doesn't as far as diet, temp water changes, etc.... however, it is a lot of work for discus that likely won't have great shape and size as adults.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'd personally keep them all if you're going for a learning experience, since they tend to do better in higher numbers. There can be a learning curve when growing out tiny discus, and you can learn what works for you and what doesn't as far as diet, temp water changes, etc.... however, it is a lot of work for discus that likely won't have great shape and size as adults.
    Thanks for your support! That is my thought completely. I'm not going to be the next grand champion with this group, but if I learn how to grow them out that'll be worth it. I doubt very many were extremely successful on their first batch of juveniles.

Real Name
    Phil

There is really no right or wrong answer here

Mr warblad breeds nice fish and is trying to give you the true breeder perspective.

However if you want to learn and are willing to invest your time in fish that you know will
    Be sub par than that's totally your call

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post

However if you want to learn and are willing to invest your time in fish that you know will
    Be sub par than that's totally your call
    + 1. Keep up with WC and good food and a few might just surprise you.
    Pete
    MAGA

Registered Member

Thanks Pete! I've increased W/C to 60% daily. I'll take some more pics this weekend of everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12