ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Started from the Bottom... off to the PENTHOUSE...???!!!

Real Name
    Phil

Default Started from the Bottom... off to the PENTHOUSE...???!!!

Good morning and happy holidays to all the great folks here at Simply.

I've alluded to some new things happening my way for a bit now and although there have been some pit stops along the way, I have yet to be where I really wanted to be until now. I've had a lot of swings here in the last few years of this hobby. Thankfully most have been up swings and positive but a few down swings have really made me re-evaluate myself as a hobbyist and where I want to be as a keeper. Those ideas and lessons have brought me to where I am today.

A quick backdrop... I like what I feel like is the vast majority here stated keeping discus because I saw them in magazines and LFS for years and years. Finally I dove in with no education what so ever w some petland buy 2 get one free special and I had a group of blue diamonds. I learned the hard way, licked my wounds and was lucky enough to find this place. Even once I found this place my stubborn behind wanted to pick and choose what I injected into my style. Again learning hard lessons. Even when I said ok enough. Do it right or don't do it at all. I still strayed. I stayed the course for a long time with my 55 gallon of domestics and crosses. For almost 2 years I had the same 9 healthy fish. Was I overstocked...? Of course I was but you can see from my posts that I was on top of it all and I did so with care. The whole time I planned to upgrade that tank and make a nice display tank. Not my straggled 55 in the corner of my office. I wanted a show tank in my main area that my employees could enjoy and the folks who are in and out of my office all the time. I'm a firm believer in the calming effects of fish and I feel they bring peace and tranquility and are perfect for a stressful office setting. That plan however took many delays due to sandy rebuilding and as any good aquarist would... I got bored... I grew tired of my 9 healthy fish and decided I need more color more pizazzz something new. That is when my problems ensued, frustration set in and I began to get annoyed with the hobby as a whole. I started with a pair of discus on then bottom of my stand which lasted maybe a month and I said this isn't for me. Then I plunge down into wild discus a group of 5 in a 40 breeder and inbuilt a stand on he bottom
    To hold them. Things were ok but the time it was now taking me to clean two fish tanks after work was delaying me getting home and seeing my family and causing more issues. I was now rushing through changes. Trying to sneak them in before work or during. It was a mess and a lot of stress and I was almost ready to quit. Thankfully I didn't but I was close and I needed to regroup and figure out a plan and get back to my original goal. A nice display tank for all to enjoy.

I was and am so inlove with my wilds I knew if I had to choose it would be them. So the Sale of my domestics and crosses went. That was rough for me but I did it. I had 2 72 bow fronts set up at one time. One was drilled one wasn't. I sold off the drilled one to a friend and kept the other. Never used it and it's been in my basement. I was going to use that one and paint the back move my awuaclears and keep it simple. Then my friend who I sold the tank to wanted to get down to one tank and off this one. He offered it to me for $300. I sold it to him for $450. He also re plumbed the entire sump refinished the stand. I couldn't say no to it and missed having a sump to hide all my equipment and add water volume.

My plan was to move the 5 wild reds and 3 inspector pleccos to the new 72 and let them settle as I decided on some more fish to add to the group. As some of you may have seen I decided after much research and communication to get some wilds greens from Brian Weiss and his store.

Upon moving my reds to the 72 and having Brian's fish gearing up for that tank I ran into a few issues both at home and work. For starters my reds did not take to the new move so well. I really assumed they would just be happy and exploring their new big turf and glad for the upgrade. Instead they seemed scared , nervous and stressed. They were not eating well and were huddled a lot. On top of that I realized that with 2 kids under 2 - 2 dogs and the wife. Discus at home were just not an option for me. At work I maintain the tank and go home. At home I have way tooooo many distractions and once they subside usually sleep wins out over water changes. I weighted my options. And the greens were moved in with the reds. It was almost an instant fuse between the groups and it was as if my reds became alive again. I think they got so used to the 40 breeder that once in the bow it was almost too big and they felt timid. Now with the reenforcements of their new buddies they felt safe and protected.

Best news of all...? I haven't lifted a bucket in weeks. I rigged up a nice pump and hose system tk water the plants and I age my water in a big drum on wheels. Water changes are soooo easy and whenever I do them now I actually feel dumb that it took me so long to do this!

Pics and more to come !

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Started from the Bottom... off to the PENTHOUSE...???!!!

I'm sure having not completed QT on the new guys was not an easy decision Phil but understand life happens. Sounds like the two groups are getting on well. Looking forward to pictures.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I know you must have pictures somewhere
    Rich

Real Name
    Phil

Although I put together a new tank... my photo skills are just as.... well crappy!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Happy Holidays Phil.
    Glad it all worked out for you and your discus Phil. After all discus keeping is suppose to be enjoyable. Also looking forward to some pics.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Phil

Here are some pics... The tank to start once it was cleaned up re painted...

IMG_7683.jpgIMG_7685.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

This was not long after they were first added to the tank...

IMG_7688.jpgIMG_7690.jpgIMG_7691.jpgIMG_7692.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

As you all can see... I still have my reflection issue... I also feel like the tank almost looks bare but it is not... I moved the same wood from the 40 to this one. Before I sold off my domestics I ordered some new, nice big pieces of wood. I soaked them for nearly a month in boiling water and they still were growing weird stuff and I think were messing with my water chemistry. I got scared and sold some pieces and gave some away. I felt comfortable with this wood as I have had it in m tank a while, I also love the look of it and I don't want my tank bogged down with too much wood. Once I get a new light on there I think it will look much better...

I also decided to go with a rock I have used in the past called cichlid stones. They are eco-friendly, ceramic rock formations that look and feel reel but are hollow, so they take up very little water volume and they have openings that double as caves for the inspector pleccos and my treacherous twelve emerald cory cats that I also purchased from Brian, which are ammmmmaizng and so green! They glow!

Real Name
    Phil

I have one of these babies arriving soon... I am not a tech guy really, or much into gadgets like most other fellas seem to be. But a good pal recommended this to me and it looks really fun. Not to mention my fish don't seem to be enjoying the current LED lights I have on there. I think they are too bright. This system seems to allow you to adjust, fade, replicate and create many different colors of lights. I will play with it to find something they like...

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...6-48-inch.html

I am also not sure if it is the bowfront or what but I think they catch more shadows than they are used to and it causes them some stress, hope the light helps there as well...

Real Name
    Phil

Here are some more pictures of the reds - they were very active on the first day, but then became a bit timid. I checked water params quite often and was worried about a mini cycle occuring, but one never did and my params always checked out rather well...

IMG_7690.jpgIMG_7691.jpgIMG_7692.jpgIMG_7694.jpgIMG_7708.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Phil

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

I have that light on my 120 gallon (the 48-60 one) and I really like it. I programmed the 4 custom settings to be progressively dimmer. Then I can quickly pick the brightness I desire,

Real Name
    Phil

Thanks Steve I appreciate the feedback. The light is set to arrive on Thursday and I am excited for
    It. My current light is too bright and not adjustable. I want to go with a dimmer darker light I think it will make a cool effect for them

Real Name
    Steve

Way to photo bomb your fish Phil!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Stunning fishes and really good aquascape! I am jealous 😀

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast