AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Started from the Bottom... off to the PENTHOUSE...???!!!

Default Re: Started from the Bottom... off to the PENTHOUSE...???!!!

As mentioned before I really like your setup and of course your wilds!! They seem really happy in your tank! If you don't mind, let me ask you: do you know where they are from (region)? What is your temp and your water parameters? Lastly what do you feed them?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    You guys are going to get a kick out of this. The saga continues.

Everyone is filling out today little by little. Finally I can get the lights off! I do and... the one directntk my back as I am taking the pics has I switch that I can find. We have to follow a bunch of fire Marshall rules and we need that front lobby light on at all times and the switch is hidden. I need to ask my father in law where he hid it. I looked all over he hid it well.

This is what I got and gave up.
    Phil Phil Phil......You had one job mate.

Just kidding. I think its going to be hard not getting any reflections being a bow front, but please keep trying
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pavlos View Post
    As mentioned before I really like your setup and of course your wilds!! They seem really happy in your tank! If you don't mind, let me ask you: do you know where they are from (region)? What is your temp and your water parameters? Lastly what do you feed them?
    Pavlos - I appreciate the kind words! I hope they are happy I am trying my best to make them as happy as possible!! The greens are from the Tefe Region and my reds are split between the Cuipeau Region and the Alenquer region... I keep them in 83 degree water, the params I don't really test, once in a while Ill have a friend drop by with a kit or swing by a local LFS for test. I age water 24-48 hrs, cap full of prime a few min before water change and then out with the old in with the new...

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Phil Phil Phil......You had one job mate.

Just kidding. I think its going to be hard not getting any reflections being a bow front, but please keep trying
    I know Joe... I am such a failure!!!

I will keep going at it! I need to get one good pic so my man Ricardo can make me a new avitar!!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Love what I am seeing with your fish Phil...no bars
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Love what I am seeing with your fish Phil...no bars
    Pat
    Thank You Pat! Yea, I am seeing less and less of them... I have become a huuuuge fan of the reverse bars that a lot show! They look really cool when displaying that...

I guess this means they are getting comfy?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thank You Pat! Yea, I am seeing less and less of them... I have become a huuuuge fan of the reverse bars that a lot show! They look really cool when displaying that...

I guess this means they are getting comfy?
    I think so Phil
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

I hadn't seen this whole thread Phil! They are looking great. Good job. Nice avatar as well. I am assuming you gave up on trying to get a nice shot of one of them?

They really do look beautiful though.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I have one of these babies arriving soon... I am not a tech guy really, or much into gadgets like most other fellas seem to be. But a good pal recommended this to me and it looks really fun. Not to mention my fish don't seem to be enjoying the current LED lights I have on there. I think they are too bright. This system seems to allow you to adjust, fade, replicate and create many different colors of lights. I will play with it to find something they like...

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...6-48-inch.html

I am also not sure if it is the bowfront or what but I think they catch more shadows than they are used to and it causes them some stress, hope the light helps there as well...
    Hey Phil,
    Just wondering how that light is working out. I see it is on sale right now and was wondering if it has a timer or can be connected to one. My current light just offers blue and white and is too bright even at it's lowest settings but I do like the fact that I can have it timed for moonlight at night before it goes off altogether. Interested in your opinion.
    I have really enjoyed watching your tanks evolve and respect the transparency you offer so we can learn along with you. I really appreciate that you are wlling to share your experiences with us.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I hadn't seen this whole thread Phil! They are looking great. Good job. Nice avatar as well. I am assuming you gave up on trying to get a nice shot of one of them?

They really do look beautiful though.
    Thank you Ricardo! I have not given up but since it is taken me longer than expected to attempt a shot, I switched the avitar to one I found while browsing through pictures online.

I am determined to grab a good shot so you can make me a new cool avitar. It was bugging me to see my old fave fish there all the time, which I no longer have after the sale so it was time for a change!

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hey Phil,
    Just wondering how that light is working out. I see it is on sale right now and was wondering if it has a timer or can be connected to one. My current light just offers blue and white and is too bright even at it's lowest settings but I do like the fact that I can have it timed for moonlight at night before it goes off altogether. Interested in your opinion.
    I have really enjoyed watching your tanks evolve and respect the transparency you offer so we can learn along with you. I really appreciate that you are willing to share your experiences with us.
    So far so good with the light Jenene, it has done what I was hoping for and made the fish much more active, lively and exploratory. I have not fully fully played with all the options, as you can imagine there are trllions, one click of blue a click down of red, every little click of the remote changes it ever so slightly. My guys seem to like this smokey red , so I go with that in the am then ramp up to a brighter whiter light then back to the red. I do this all manually. The version I got was just the light remote and the power supply. It does not have a timer, I actually thought it may but it didn't. Looking back on kens a few days ago I see a seperate part that you can buy for another $25-30 for this purpose, I haven't caved and purchased it yet, not sure if I will. It is on a regular type plug/outlet, so I do not see why you can't plug in to your own timer, but with that it prob will power one setting, not sure how to ramp up or down Sorry I am so not that tech savvy, I spend too much time shooting hoops lol...

You are very sweet and kind with your compliments. I truly appreciate it! I try to be as open, honest and transparent as honest. I am far from perfect but I do try to apply basic principles for the most part. I make my mistakes, bad decisions, or stay stuck in stubborn ways and I want folks here to see that and learn from me or along with me as I have by so many of you. I try to give all sides, the good the bad the ugly. I don't want to be someone who posts pictures of their tank when it looks great, or my one tank that looks good, when I have tanks of bad fish that I hide, or don't talk about sickness or deaths. With each tank I start, I try and take from my past experiences and build on them. I thank you again for seeing that and it makes me happy to help others!

So far so good with the light Jenene, it has done what I was hoping for and made the fish much more active, lively and exploratory. I have not fully fully played with all the options, as you can imagine there are trllions, one click of blue a click down of red, every little click of the remote changes it ever so slightly. My guys seem to like this smokey red , so I go with that in the am then ramp up to a brighter whiter light then back to the red. I do this all manually. The version I got was just the light remote and the power supply. It does not have a timer, I actually thought it may but it didn't. Looking back on kens a few days ago I see a seperate part that you can buy for another $25-30 for this purpose, I haven't caved and purchased it yet, not sure if I will. It is on a regular type plug/outlet, so I do not see why you can't plug in to your own timer, but with that it prob will power one setting, not sure how to ramp up or down Sorry I am so not that tech savvy, I spend too much time shooting hoops lol...

You are very sweet and kind with your compliments. I truly appreciate it! I try to be as open, honest and transparent as honest. I am far from perfect but I do try to apply basic principles for the most part. I make my mistakes, bad decisions, or stay stuck in stubborn ways and I want folks here to see that and learn from me or along with me as I have by so many of you. I try to give all sides, the good the bad the ugly. I don't want to be someone who posts pictures of their tank when it looks great, or my one tank that looks good, when I have tanks of bad fish that I hide, or don't talk about sickness or deaths. With each tank I start, I try and take from my past experiences and build on them. I thank you again for seeing that and it makes me happy to help others!
    Thanks for the info on the light Phil. They are on back order right now so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I thought I would use this one on my Discus tank and the old one on my community tank that has a very old light on it. I wouldn't mind buying a programmable timer if it allowed you to set little zones. The LED I have now has a timer but it is so complicated I break out in hives if I accidentally unplug it or the power goes out for a few minutes. It takes weeks to get it right again. So no tech wiz here either.

Anyway, the new display looks amazing and it was fun seeing it all come to fruition. Keep up the posts Phil, they are really valuable. No one is perfect, that is for certain. (I am not quite as brave as you but I did post a picture of my sump at it's nastiest.) Those that learn from errors, have the ability to let it go, and can keep moving on are truly the wiser. Thanks again!

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks for the info on the light Phil. They are on back order right now so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I thought I would use this one on my Discus tank and the old one on my community tank that has a very old light on it. I wouldn't mind buying a programmable timer if it allowed you to set little zones. The LED I have now has a timer but it is so complicated I break out in hives if I accidentally unplug it or the power goes out for a few minutes. It takes weeks to get it right again. So no tech wiz here either.

Anyway, the new display looks amazing and it was fun seeing it all come to fruition. Keep up the posts Phil, they are really valuable. No one is perfect, that is for certain. (I am not quite as brave as you but I did post a picture of my sump at it's nastiest.) Those that learn from errors, have the ability to let it go, and can keep moving on are truly the wiser. Thanks again!
    If you check out this link, it has all the offerings. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-lighting.html

I am not sure which one would work best for you but they have ramp and timers for sale. There is one bundle there but it seems expensive for what is included, I could be missing something, but it seems cheaper to buy separate than the group?

I was the same way with the timer! My brother in law set it, then I unplugged it for a WC and it was all over. I got a call from my night dispatcher one night, it was like 11 pm hes like is this tank light supposed to stay on all night?!?! I was like what NO!!!

I kinda prefer the manual control... when I am here the light goes on and I play if not it is off, I hide the remote and let that be that... I think your add of a hand me down works well! I mean for $90 this light is so cool IMO. Get this one for the discus and add the current light to your community, WIN WIN. Plus with your set up the room divider, your crazy color discus, you and the kiddos could have fun with this light! Tell college boy to get ready to make some movies and pics to show it off!!! Order it now maybe you get it before he goes back! lol

Thanks again for the compliments! I am really happy with it, it was a quick turn around but it is exactly what I wanted, I truly love it. Plus my water changes are so easy now, I feel like I fell back in love with the hobby almost. I was so stressed by it all in previous months, even thought about taking a break. Thankfully John sent me some wilds I just couldnt bare to part with! You do a great job of sharing, taking advice and implying it and learning and teaching so thank you right back!

If you check out this link, it has all the offerings. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-lighting.html

I am not sure which one would work best for you but they have ramp and timers for sale. There is one bundle there but it seems expensive for what is included, I could be missing something, but it seems cheaper to buy separate than the group?

I was the same way with the timer! My brother in law set it, then I unplugged it for a WC and it was all over. I got a call from my night dispatcher one night, it was like 11 pm hes like is this tank light supposed to stay on all night?!?! I was like what NO!!!

I kinda prefer the manual control... when I am here the light goes on and I play if not it is off, I hide the remote and let that be that... I think your add of a hand me down works well! I mean for $90 this light is so cool IMO. Get this one for the discus and add the current light to your community, WIN WIN. Plus with your set up the room divider, your crazy color discus, you and the kiddos could have fun with this light! Tell college boy to get ready to make some movies and pics to show it off!!! Order it now maybe you get it before he goes back! lol

Thanks again for the compliments! I am really happy with it, it was a quick turn around but it is exactly what I wanted, I truly love it. Plus my water changes are so easy now, I feel like I fell back in love with the hobby almost. I was so stressed by it all in previous months, even thought about taking a break. Thankfully John sent me some wilds I just couldnt bare to part with! You do a great job of sharing, taking advice and implying it and learning and teaching so thank you right back!
    You are hilarious! I can only imagine those bleary eyed Discus after being under lights forever thinking "when is this freaking day gonna end already?"

Reading your review on the lighting I can hear that commercial guy "but wait! if you buy now..." Seriously though, I do think it is really cool and have put in a request for them to email me when they get more. College boy already saw the video on Ken's site, He is all fired up. He is studying electrical engineering and loves color changing LEDs. He has put them under our fireplace mantle and rigged them in a food truck he works on in the summer. Right up his ally.

I am so glad you have found your way back in. I know things got really tough for awhile. Many people would have thrown in the towel. Who is John? I see his fish poppping up all over on this Forum. Sounds like the place to go for wilds.

Your employees are lucky to have such a beautiful tank to enjoy. Do they actually get work done?

Easier water changes are a key to a happy life for sure. I wish mine were more automated but I have never had to slug buckets.

Thank you for the kind words as well!

Real Name
    Patty

Wow Phil-nice penthouse! I've been reading about wilds and wonder why some keep the ph low and use RO water even when they're not trying to breed. Is it heckles that are so particular? maybe that was the thread I was reading...I love your tank-really classy tank to match your classy looking wilds!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast