ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Medicated food preparement

Real Name
    Filip

Default Medicated food preparement

Hi guys .
    Just recently I've tried to make a medicated food for treating worms and parasites on my discus with Levamisol hydrochloride powder .
    Ive put 2 grams of 100% Levamisole hydrochloride along with a 98 grams beef heart and a little water in a grinder and mix them together until a pudding like soup was made .
    Afterwards I pour hot gelatin in to the puuding like mix to bind the medicine with the BH and to make the mix more compact and put it in the freezer.

It all came up pretty well once frozen and sliced on tiny worm like pieces at the end but none of my discus nor any other fish whatsoever would try to eat it and I still try to feed only this for 3 days so they are pretty hungry by now .
    Discus spit it out right away and don't go for another bite again , and I'm talking about good shape , well eating discus who love BH as their favourite meal.

I'm I doing something wrong in my preparation ?
    I've never made any mix and food preparation for fish before so I'm not sure I have done this properly ?
    Last edited by Filip; 12-19-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Medicated food preparement

I find it better to put meds in about a tsp.of water to dissolve it and then put in FDBW to soak it up.Altho,you have the right idea when using gelatin.

Real Name
    Eric

Out of curiosity, why try to get them to eat the levamisole? It makes sense that the parasites are in the gut and direct treatment would be logical, but levamisole is easily absorbed from the water column.

I recently treated with levamisole and it caused my discus to not eat for a couple days. Their appetite fully recovered after 3 days

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I find it better to put meds in about a tsp.of water to dissolve it and then put in FDBW to soak it up.Altho,you have the right idea when using gelatin.
    This would be my next course of action I guess.
    I have done it this way in the past , but now I wanted to be more sure that the medicine is bonded with gelatine and going directly in the gut without getting desipiate in the water .

Thanks for your response and help Mervin .

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Out of curiosity, why try to get them to eat the levamisole? It makes sense that the parasites are in the gut and direct treatment would be logical, but levamisole is easily absorbed from the water column.

I recently treated with levamisole and it caused my discus to not eat for a couple days. Their appetite fully recovered after 3 days

They got some nasty Eye infection that forms like white deposits on their eyes. It almost look like a pop eye disease on the first glance .
    A very experienced fellow member from this forum said that it could be very well some form of parasites attaching on the eyes of discus and he advised oral consumption because this area (eyes ) is not very vascular and dosing in water might not be enough to beat those stubborn b.stars.

BTW. This is a condition that is been going on for months , almost half a year since I first notice it and discus are still eating and vital .Less activity can be noticed on occasions though.
    I will most def. Try the water column treat, , but only after I Finish the 6-8 days course of oral med. Consumption
    Last edited by Filip; 12-20-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They got some nasty Eye infection that forms like white deposits on their eyes. It almost look like a pop eye disease on the first glance .
    A very experienced fellow member from this forum said that it could be very well some form of parasites attaching on the eyes of discus and he advised oral consumption because this area (eyes ) is not very vascular and dosing in water might not be enough to beat those stubborn b.stars.

BTW. This is a condition that is been going on for months , almost half a year since I first notice it and discus are still eating and vital .Less activity can be noticed on occasions though.
    I will most def. Try the water column treat, , but only after I Finish the 6-8 days course of oral med. Consumption
    Thanks Filip, I learned something new!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Filip;
    I have used( sykes big l )wormer for poultry& pigs in liquid form levamisole hydrochloride 16g/L a few times with success and never needed to use it in food , apparently it has a bad taste and that is why there is a form of it which comes with glucose but it causes bacterial bloom in the tank and it's use is not advisable .

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Filip;
    I have used( sykes big l )wormer for poultry& pigs in liquid form levamisole hydrochloride 16g/L a few times with success and never needed to use it in food , apparently it has a bad taste and that is why there is a form of it which comes with glucose but it causes bacterial bloom in the tank and it's use is not advisable .
    You are right on the taste Sayid.
    Even a pinch of levamisole powder used for soaking food prior feeding drives them away from eating completely . They spit the food immediately .
    I was very curious what could be that awfull taste of levamisole and I even taste a pinch off my little finger my self.
    From first hand experience , this thing has very strong and bitter taste and I can't blame them for refusing food soaked with it.

I'll try a Levamisole bath in water next , but I'm not sure if it will help because what I'm dealing with here seems to be a very stubborn eye parasite .

Thanks for your help and input Sayid.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Did the Levamisole bath helped the eye infection ?

Registered Member

Bump, and the answer is?