ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water Change pH Swing

Real Name
    Eric

Default Water Change pH Swing

Hello. Recently I have switched from aging to straight from my tap due to wintery conditions and a requirement to keep my aging barrel outside. I have a couple questions regarding pH swing and hope people will share their experience and observations here.

What is the maximum swing that discus can tolerate without issues?

Does water that decreases in pH with aging stress out fish more or less than water that increases pH with aging?

What is worse, adding water with a lower pH to the tank or adding water with a higher pH?

My water currently out of the tap is about 6.7-6.8 pH and ends up at about 6.5 pH after aging. My KH and GH are around 1 and TDS at about 20. I change 50-80% daily. Any risk for a pH crash? With my pH swing, what would be the max % water change that would be safe?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: Water Change pH Swing

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Hello. Recently I have switched from aging to straight from my tap due to wintery conditions and a requirement to keep my aging barrel outside. I have a couple questions regarding pH swing and hope people will share their experience and observations here.

Does water that decreases in pH with aging stress out fish more or less than water that increases pH with aging?

What is worse, adding water with a lower pH to the tank or adding water with a higher pH?

My water currently out of the tap is about 6.7-6.8 pH and ends up at about 6.5 pH after aging. My KH and GH are around 1 and TDS at about 20. I change 50-80% daily. Any risk for a pH crash? With my pH swing, what would be the max % water change that would be safe?
    I'm very interested to hear replies on this topic myself. But besides the PH another area of concern for you might be the increased dissolved gases that cold water retains as opposed to warmer water.

In the four months since I've kept discus I've been doing 60% daily WC straight from by tap; my tap water is PH 6.5, 78F and the water in my tank after 24hrs is 4.7 PH. Now this is a big difference in PH but my fish are doing great, two 'pairs' out of my eleven Discus who clean wood & go through the motions together. The pairs are still juveniles 5"- 6" (total length) but I guess they're practicing for when they are old enough to actually mate. I'm still a beginner in this hobby but I can't imagine my Discus being any more healthy & happy than they are. So I really wonder how this Discus PH sensitivity really works? I haven't tested but I know my water is really 'soft' so is this why they're not affected by such a huge daily PH swing?

Looking forward to seeing the replies in this thread.

Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 12-21-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    But besides the PH another area of concern for you might be the increased dissolved gases that cold water retains as opposed to warmer water.
    Kenny
    This device has completely solved the microbubble / dissolved gas issue. It doesn't help with pH though

Real Name
    Phil

I don't think your ph swing is much at all. I could be wrong though, but it seems minimal. I think the real issue comes with bigger swings...

I tried to search through old e-mails because I believe it was a sponsor here I got fish from once explained to me the difference in going from a high ph to low and vice versa and which was the one to be concerned with. I can't seem to find the dang mail

Registered Member

"My water currently out of the tap is about 6.7-6.8 pH and ends up at about 6.5 pH after aging. My KH and GH are around 1 and TDS at about 20. I change 50-80% daily. Any risk for a pH crash? With my pH swing, what would be the max % water change that would be safe? "

Under those conditions,personally I would feel safe changing 50% of your water daily without aging.Maybe even a higher % too,but I feel if your tank is not overcrowded,and you are not overfeeding,50% daily is more than adequate,and a safe number considering your {moderate} PH swing.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

It is safer to go from a lower ph to a higher ph. Think about when you get freshly shipped fish and we do a plop and drop. Generally the ph drops in the bag while the fish is in the bag during the shipping process. When we receive the fish we cut open the bag while not allowing air in the bag, drain the water and ease the fish into the tank. Generally the fish recovers fully in short time if proper care is taken during the shipping process.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

This device has completely solved the microbubble / dissolved gas issue. It doesn't help with pH though

Eric,

Your fish look really good. How big are they?

Kenny

Real Name
    Mervin

I also don't think that is much of a change over a bit of time.It's when the PH is sudden and lower that is the most harmful.If you're changing water every day ,I can't for see a crash.Is this well water?The reason I ask is because when the water comes from a municipal source it is usually at least 7 or a bit higher to counter act the acids that would corrode metal pipes.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Eric,

Your fish look really good. How big are they?

Kenny
    Thanks Kenny! I have never pulled to measure, but they are 4.5"-6" in total length (TL). They all still have some growing left to do

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I also don't think that is much of a change over a bit of time.It's when the PH is sudden and lower that is the most harmful.If you're changing water every day ,I can't for see a crash.Is this well water?The reason I ask is because when the water comes from a municipal source it is usually at least 7 or a bit higher to counter act the acids that would corrode metal pipes.
    Thanks for the response Mervin. Its municipal water. I suspect that the water company brings the pH up around 7 when the water leaves the treatment facility, is 6.8 by the time it hits my tap, and 6.5-6.6 after aging. The water come from a volcanic watershed (Bull Run) so it picks up almost no alkalinity in its journey to my fish tank.

In the summer it stops raining and by the end of the summer a portion of the water comes from concrete resevoirs. When this happens pH, GH, and KH raise noticeably.

I'd kill to have those water parameters out of the tap!

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I'd kill to have those water parameters out of the tap!
    Makes it slightly easier to cope with all the rain!

Real Name
    Willie

If you're doing 40% - 60% daily in a bare bottom tank, there's not going to be a problem with pH swings. Of course, there's the matter of micro bubbles and temperature adjustments. But if you're taking care of those problems, my only recommendation would be to increase the amount of water you change. It's not any extra work.

Good luck. Those discus look good, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.