ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fish Room 3.0, getting back in the game

Default Fish Room 3.0, getting back in the game

Hello all, after a 2 year hiatus, I've decided I really miss my Discus. Been running several plans through, trying to maximize space, save $$$, and not end up in divorce court!! The fishroom goal is to be somewhat lower maintenance than my last fishroom and allow more time to enjoy. I have a plan. My space is a 13 square foot room that's being built in the garage. Heating will be a via the houses central heat and ventalation is a 6" exhaust fan ducted outside. One wall will have the door, a shop sink, and a couple 55g drums for refilling the system after syphoning uneaten food. Two walls will have the tanks against them and the 4th wall will have another stack of tanks not connected to the system for hospital use, the filtration and a large workbench area. The aforementioned tanks will be DAS tanks, 4 stacks of 75 gallon tanks divided into 3s and two stack of just 75s. I've used DAS tanks in the past and have come up with a system to deal with the short comings I had with them last time. Each tank is getting resealed, dividers are getting painted, and than will be redrilled with 2 1" bulkheads for the overflows to the central sump and the return will be a single 3/4" piping. The sump is a old acrylic aquarium (72lx30dx24t) that's divided into three sections, 1 area of foam mechanical filters, next a large planted filter, and last a return section for pumps and heaters. Return pumps will be two Jeboa DCT12000s each feeding a Aqua UV 80w sterilizer. Each DAS tank compartment will also have a Hydro Sponge filter being feed by my old trusty Alita 60. Lastly, will be using a drip through system also, with a goal of 50% water exchange daily.

I think that about covers everything, will update with pics as everything progresses over the next couple months. Very excited to get started again. Any comments or ideas please let me know!!

Registered Member

Default Re: Fish Room 3.0, getting back in the game

Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures of the whole process. Would like to see how the drip system is plumbed up.

My set ups going to be pretty simple, a water feed line comes into the top tanks of the system. It is controlled by a ball valve. Total volume of the system divided in half, than divide that by 24. Will need to drip roughly 34 gallons a hour. I'll use a bucket and a stop watch to calculate the "drip rate" and adjust the valve to match.
    In the return section of the sump. There will be a overflow that is tied to a drain that runs to our gutters.
    One negative is when we loose power all excess water will drained, causing a problem when the power comes on. I have a unused Reefkeeper that will control the heaters and the return pumps. If power is lost the Reefkeeper will not turn the pumps back on until I refill the system.

I will manually siphon tanks daily and that water will be replaced using the two 55gallon drums and a separate small pump.

Not a perfect system compared to my old manual water change system for doing a 50% water change, but less time needed and can be adjusted if more or less is needed. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by zachrabbit15; 12-22-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Sorry for the delay, weather up here in the Pacific Northwest slowed me down a bit. Picked up half my tanks yesterday, turned into quite the ordeal.