AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy used lenses?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Where to buy used lenses?

So besides Ebay where do you think is a good reputable place to buy used lenses? I checked out Nikon's refurbished section already.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Where to buy used lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    So besides Ebay where do you think is a good reputable place to buy used lenses? I checked out Nikon's refurbished section already.
    That is actually a great place to keep looking. You will see a great deal pop up one day and be gone tomorrow. Check it regularly.

The other recommendation I have is Keh.com.

Keh is known amongst many photography buffs as being the best place to find great lenses, with great customer service and a great return policy. Their lens rating is super favorable as well, always towards the purchaser and not the seller (Keh).

Go take a look.

Finally, I would recommend forums based specifically with your gear brand. Go to their for sale/trade section and take a look at what is being offered. If you see something you like, make sure that member is a long standing one that many can vouch for.

One site I used to buy a lot of used gear from was Dpreview. They have a ton of people selling stuff. It is a lot more risky there though since there are so many people posting. It is more difficult to find well vetted sellers there.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Highly recommend Keh.com as well. You may have some luck on BH or Adorama's used sections as well, they rate their gear and from what I hear it's pretty accurate. I never seen the prices as good as Keh but it might be worth a look. Another place you might check is the camera rental places, Borrowlenses and Lensauthority which sell used. Heard some good things about them, and that sometimes they even underrate their gear. Again I don't think you will find earth shattering prices or the selection like you might at Keh, but worth it to check.

Hard to beat specific photography forums, members there take care of their gear and know what they have. A lot of times these pros or enthusiests just get rid of stuff to fund something else so you find killer lenses in great shape.
    -Matt

Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

when i was into photography ebay and craigslist were my to go places. found some really good deals on craigslist. hope to get back into it soon.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Thanks everyone, I'm going to make the move by april on a camera and buying a refurb body and a used lense.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks everyone, I'm going to make the move by april on a camera and buying a refurb body and a used lense.
    You and me both! I have everything in the shopping cart ready to checkout but I chicken out each time. I always do this, I know what I want (I think) but it could take me a month or more to actually order it.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

update,

I have been looking at these two lenses, The first I think would be a good walkaround lense for average distance, portraits and fish shots, and the second for distance shots or wildlife shots. I will be going on a cruise in april to Italy, Venice and Rome so I want to capture anything that interest me as this will probably be my only trip there. So let me know some feedback on the lenses. I will be making my move prior to april so I can get acustom to the camera. I found a refurb D500 for a good price and want to save more with used lenses.
    https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-nikko...r-nikon-f.html
    https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20842794.html

Real Name
    Ricardo

The Keh one is your run of the mil "kit" lens. Not a bad price, especially if it is cheaper buying it separate than together.

As far as the Nikon lens, I would prefer the 70-300 4-5.6 aperture. This lens is a little "slow" which means it needs really good light to work to its best potential. Take a look at the Tamron 70-300 4-5.6. I remember I got mine for $300 brand new directly from Tamron.

Please keep in mind, I do not know camera body mounts, so please make sure when you buy a lens that it is the correct mount for your body.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Rick,
    So this lense "Tamron 70-300 4-5.6" would be my distance lense, It says fits Nikons mount. Is this the lense that you shoot with? And also what would you advise for the first lense my "walking around lense"

I found it on Keh

https://www.keh.com/shop/tamron-70-3...-nikon-62.html

Also this from Nikon

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...5-6.3g-ed.html

Looks like it has the same 4-5.6

Real Name
    Ricardo

Rick,
    So this lense "Tamron 70-300 4-5.6" would be my distance lense, It says fits Nikons mount. Is this the lense that you shoot with? And also what would you advise for the first lense my "walking around lense"

I found it on Keh

https://www.keh.com/shop/tamron-70-3...-nikon-62.html

Also this from Nikon

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...5-6.3g-ed.html

Looks like it has the same 4-5.6
    Yes, I have personally shot with this lens in Sony mount and it was a gem of a lens at that price range. I have no problems recommending it. Again, not sure what mount is what with Nikon, so just make sure it is for your camera mount before buying.
    I ultimately ended up getting a Sony 70-200 2.8 and a Sony 70-400 4-5.6 and ended up selling the Tamron. I later regretted it because it was so much lighter than my 70-400 and the 70-200 was not long enough at times. The Tamron was actually a nice addition to those 2 other lenses and I regretted selling it. With that said, the price of that lens doesn't really fluctuate and again, it is a bargain lens at great value.

As far as a walk around lens, you may be asking the wrong person. I use a walk around that is 24-70 2.8 but that isn't a cheap lens. I don't like kit lenses and I don't particularly know the Nikon lineup. Pat may have a better answer than myself here. If it is a cropped camera though, I wouldn't hesitate to say to get a prime just like Pat did when starting and go with either a 24 2.8 or 35 1.4 / 35 f/2 / 35/2.8 (not sure if they make a 35/2.8 mind you).

I can really get more in to detail later when I am at home and can browse around Keh or other sites. Do you know your lens mount though? That would help.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Looks like a Nikon F bayonet mount, I inserted the tec specs. Scroll down to lenses.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...Tabs-TechSpecs

Real Name
    Matt

I can't comment on quality of the Nikon lenses, I just don't know Nikon so I can't recommend a specific lens. However for Canon I like walking around with something like my 17-40 f4 or 24-105 f4 (though I want to replace the 24-105 with the new 24-70 or new version of the 24-105). Kind of depends on what you tend to shoot. Night City scenes like street photos, any astro, just general low lights especially indoors, or like more intricate details, I'd probably prefer a 2.8. For anything dealing with hardscape landscapes I'd take a f4+ 95% of the time. Fast glass is heavier and more expensive, if you aren't going to be shooting it's range then what's the point? Granted, some new lenses will look better and sharper at f value of X over the old lens at f value of X so there would have to be some comparison where the 2.8 may beat out the f4. And if you have the money to spend, it's nice having the option to go down to 1.4 or 2.8, but in general, I never find myself wishing for fast glass unless it's for a specific purpose...personally. And I sure don't have the money just to have it yet. I'd probably already be shooting f4+ on a landscape anyway or in a lot of other cases, no need to pay an extra 1-2k for fast glass especially when I'd hardly use that fast wide angle for anything but night skies. To Canon an extra stop or two can be worth $1000-2000 which to me the consumer is not worth it in most cases.

I prefer my really fast glass to be in the 35, 50, 85mm prime ranges more specific to purpose than all around lenses. The Canon (Could be this way for other brands) 35 1.4 is one of the most popular lenses in the lineup and prices at $1700, but are you going to buy it over two other insanely popular in the lineup? The 16-35 F4 at $1000 or the 17-40 F4 at $750? Unless you have a reason to I think you'd be crazy to. My point is, look at what you want to shoot, or why you may shoot and choose your lenses accordingly.

I could be totally off base here, that's just how I view it.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Devon, since I shoot Nikon with Nikon lens I can tell you what I use for a walk-around lens if you like. It is the 18-200 which is a wide-angle zoom lens. This is it https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-nikko...zoom-lens.html. Note that is it intended for a crop sensor so it is a DX lens. Full frame lens are FX. Note that I have used FX lens on my DX bodies but no clue if it works the over way. This is not an expensive lens. I shoot family events, sunrises/sunsets, people, landscapes etc. Basic use this lens for everything except macro and distance work (like shooting birds).

I can post some examples if you like.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Okay so I think I have found out that I should pursue the lowest F stop I can afford so I think this lense might fit the bill? It's the Sigma 70-200 F2.8. I have looked at the Nikon equivalent but its a little steep $1600 used and The sigma is $1149 new. I rather but one good lense and not have 2 crappy lenses that I wouldn't be happy with in the end.

Here is the Sigma https://www.sigmaphoto.com/apo-70-20...8-ex-dg-os-hsm

Here is the Nikon http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...furbished.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast