AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Beef Mix?

Registered Member

Default Beef Mix?

When making a beef mix for discus, do you have to use beef heart, or is there another type of lean beef that will work just as well that is easier to obtain? What about 96% lean ground beef?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Beef Mix?

96% Lean ground beef is being by lots of people nowadays but keep in mind beef heart is quite cheaper than lean ground beef.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

I did a mix of ground sirloin, mixed it with Garlic Guard and gelatin and my Discus loved it at least as much as frozen beefheart. Unfortunately I must have heated the gelatin incorrectly and it separated from the beef and got tangled with my sand causing a mess that took awhile to clean up.

i just made 10 lbs today, used heart, but next time i'll compare to lean ground. there was a good bit of waste trimmed off the heart.

I am experiment with some of my first BH mix, trust me, as a newbie you would want to add a little more gelatin as binding agent. Trust me It help, my first try without enough gelatin end up with a tank full of nasty stuff

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    I am experiment with some of my first BH mix, trust me, as a newbie you would want to add a little more gelatin as binding agent. Trust me It help, my first try without enough gelatin end up with a tank full of nasty stuff
    i added egg this time as a binder, will see if it helped at all with particles.
    though, once i get the school of dither fish in there, i sort of want it to separate so they can get some too.

Registered Member

Is everyone now using 96% lean beef instead of beef heart?