ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Myths, Facts and Assistance

Real Name
    Phil

Default Lighting Myths, Facts and Assistance

I am one of the Ehhh about lights folks...

I have never bothered with them much or really done any research. Back in the day it was just a bulb and you picked a white one or a blue one. Now there are lights that basically allow you to pick and make your own color blends and do some crazy things!

Now that I am going for the real deal "show tank" and because the people in the office, mostly my pain in the rear brother-in-law, I researched, asked and purchased a new light.

I wanted to maybe clear up some myths, get some hard facts and just some personal experience here from other hobbyist as to what has worked or has not worked for them in the past. Issues to be aware of or avoid, etc. I thought this would be an informative way to converse about lighting in general.

Since I moved my group of 5 wild reds from a 40 breeder to a 72 bow and added another 4 wild greens to the group, the fish haven't been super active. They swim and eat but a lot of times they like to hang out under the tree branches as a big group. I was starting to think that the new placement of the tank, higher traffic area, a bow front and too bright of lighting was the cause. I killed the light and I think if anything it added more shadows and obscurity to the blob like images in front of them. My 5 reds used to just pace the tank and beg for food all day, this behavior changed since the move. I was really hoping that a good light would assist in this issue, maybe cut the shadows and clear up their view so we looked more like people and not fun house objects.

With a good recommendation from a friend I went with this light from kens : http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...6-48-inch.html

I got the light today and it is a rather cool little light. Super thin, compared to my Aqueon big bulky light, this thing was like a sheet of paper. It has a cool remote with so many options. I added the light and played with it for a bit, but since I am supposed to be working, I kept my play to a minimum and went with a dimmer setting to start. I think I can already see more movement from them and a little pep in their step. I guess I was hoping to slap the light on and have them party, but we all know that isn't realistic.

So far I like the light and hope it helps them get more settled...

Please share your experiences and feedback with your own lights, past lights or what you find works best for you!!!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Lighting Myths, Facts and Assistance

One thing I will mention Phil is that people have been claiming for years that fish in general are more likely to freak out in bowfront tanks. It has something to do with the shape and the way they view everything from the inside out that has a fun-house effect. I am not sure how much of this is true but I will say that I personally had a bowfront and didn't notice any of this odd behavior.

I will also say that I believe all lighting is heading towards LED's. I would only recommend non-led's when someone is trying to achieve something specific, like planted tank and or reef tank where the lights play huge factors.

Other than that, led's are now dimmable, you can change the color spectrum, and discus on their own do not care too much what light you place above them. There is the exception of way too much light. I once put a double T5HO fixture above my discus tank to see how they would like it and they hated it.

You have to play it by ear.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

The light Phil bought works very well on plants. I had one on my 75 and grew some big plants. Foster and Smith run them on sale all the time for the same prices I would encourage to buy from them. I've lost a ton of respect for Kens Fish. I have tried to contact him for over a month on all media Phone, Email and his eBay account he will not respond to anything. I have been extremely polite in all accounts. I see he is building up negatives on eBay for the same reason too many of those they will no longer let him sell there. Too bad I was extremely happy up until my last order.

Registered Member

The Current brand lights are a OK choice for your tank.When I was researching led lights,the only negatives I heard about them was that the power supplies and remote controls could be shorter lived than expected.I went with the Marineland planted tank led model,which so far has been durable,but it lacks dimming capability and is too bright to leave on more than about 6 hours/day without causing algae issues.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Phil, I have several of the Current LED Plus fixtures and I really like them. They are not too pricey and have had some for a couple years now. With wild discus I really like being able to dim the lights. Here a little vid of the baby Unini heckels with the light on the sunrise/set setting. Note that these little heckels are still shy and tentative but the light does not seem to bother them.

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

i have switched everything back T5 HO. freshwater led doesnt give out that color that T5's do. i love the shimmering effects of leds. but they wash out the colors of your fish. even the ones with reds rgb etc..just cant compare to T5's. i use the white/pink color combo and it makes my fish look 10 times better then when i had led. i have several leds including finnex 24/7 and kessil and other cheap brands.

i nowuse current usa satellite pro +, compared to the heat, cords, replacement bulbs, fans, etc of prior lighting solutions, these are amazing.

i can control every color channel to get whatever color i want. if you want to to go crazy like they do on reef tanks you can have different color throughout the day. lights of old just couldn't do this.

the cost savings on electric is large too.

for all this thing does, compared to cost, hard to beat. i've spent more on DIY lighting setups before than this cost.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    The light Phil bought works very well on plants. I had one on my 75 and grew some big plants. Foster and Smith run them on sale all the time for the same prices I would encourage to buy from them. I've lost a ton of respect for Kens Fish. I have tried to contact him for over a month on all media Phone, Email and his eBay account he will not respond to anything. I have been extremely polite in all accounts. I see he is building up negatives on eBay for the same reason too many of those they will no longer let him sell there. Too bad I was extremely happy up until my last order.
    I here you. Got a email the other day that a product was back in stock but i had wanted it 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    how much control do you have on light levels in the non pro version?
    can you control each color and the level output of each?

what plants did you grow, and how deep was the water?
    i'm looking into putting plants in my sump to see if that helps eat nitrates and i'll need a light for under there.
    don't really want to spend anymore than i need too, the pro version was a LOT more.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    how much control do you have on light levels in the non pro version?
    can you control each color and the level output of each?

what plants did you grow, and how deep was the water?
    i'm looking into putting plants in my sump to see if that helps eat nitrates and i'll need a light for under there.
    don't really want to spend anymore than i need too, the pro version was a LOT more.
    I grew swords and several Anubis's. Water depth was typical 75gal as I said in my post. Mine was 48" current + model and I could control all the RBG LED's the white LED's have full or 1/2 brightness. I know nothing about the pro version. It's pretty versatile for the 90.00 I spent much better than a dual bulb T8 8000k sky white. Plants were in short clay pots with flourite plants grew to the top out of the water practically. I ran everything full on.

I have been playing with the LED's in about every form and fashion for the last couple years. I've done a lot of DIY stuff with every thing from the cheap LED RGB strips from Ebay to expensive high CRI COB lights. It was fun but I got tired of spending money chasing the Holy Grail of DIY led lights.
    I'm going to take one more shot it with these...
    http://store.yujiintl.com/collection...ant=1455866497

They have a very high CRI rating and more importantly...they have a violet phosphor. There are a lot more star LED's that have high CRI ratings and some with violet, but I'm thinking I can slaip these in a fixture pretty easily.

The thing with lighting is you have to decide what you want.
    1. Display the fish with the best colors
    2. Grow plants.
    3. Both

Once you go to the dark side with growing plants you have a whole big set of considerations
    1. PAR value...Photosynthetic available radiation
    2. Low, medium or high light
    3. What plants can you grow in these light levels
    4. ALGAE!!!
    5. CO2 levels
    and the list goes on.

I built a light with a Yuji COB. The cheap one ($40) and man it throws a lot of beautiful light!
    I was devising ways to hang it over a tank, but instead I threw it over my winter orchid tank and man it grows orchids!

What's over my tanks?
    1. Discus tank has a 36" Ecoxotic. Really like this light! Lots of features especially ramp up and down. I have set at about 45% brightness. Java ferns and Anubias doing OK. No co2 but just put in root tabs for the anubias.

2. Planted tank, 30" Finnex sting ray and Beamswork 6500k light with half its lights on. On a split schedule, 4 on then off midday then 4 on in the evening for viewing.
    Co2 injected dirted tank no ferts.
    Tank is in transition right now, I pulled a beautiful S repens carpet to try to get a Crypt parva carpet going, but parva grows SOOOO slow. It's coming but its going to take a lot of time(year?)

3. Orchid tank, Yuji 50 BTC cob. On 12 hours a day and will increase 1/2 hour every month until June, then I throw them all outside for the summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is the carpert before i ripped it out....apparently it was looking too good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

really like your planted setups.

the "carpet" did you prune it to that height, or is that how high they grow?

the best luck i ever had with planted tank was in a 75g and using NOFLO sunlight bulbs, substrate was Shultz Profile for a few dollars from walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    really like your planted setups.

the "carpet" did you prune it to that height, or is that how high they grow?

the best luck i ever had with planted tank was in a 75g and using NOFLO sunlight bulbs, substrate was Shultz Profile for a few dollars from walmart.
    It was pruned...but the beauty is...when you prune you stick the tops in the substrate to fill in.

Real Name
    Phil

I have been playing with the light a bit and I do enjoy it. I got the basic set-up so no timer or anything, so doing it all manually right now. I have my 4 favorites saved thus far but they are all over the spectrum a bit. They seem to, as I expcted, enjoy the dimmer somewhat darker settings. I have a red favorite and it makes the water look stained almost but it is rather cool and they seem to like that one. I have been starting with that one in the am, then going to a brighter setting mid day then back to the red in the evening, then off...

So far so good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast