AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best filter to use in addition to Fx6 on a 125?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Best filter to use in addition to Fx6 on a 125?

Was wondering what some of you use in addition to(if anything) a fluval Fx6 canister. I have a 6' long 125g display tank with sand as substrate with the fx6 and a ghetto rigged HOB seeding from my old tank. That HOB will come off in a couple more weeks. Im not the biggest fan of how much noise the HOB makes but do like that it breaks up the surface water/scum. Do any of you use a surface skimmer? Appreciate any suggestions

Registered Member

Default Re: Best filter to use in addition to Fx6 on a 125?

I swear by surface skimmers. I used to use one on my old 55 on the intake for my canister. You can pick them up on Amazon for 10-15 bucks. Just be careful not to get any sand in them or the plastic screw adjuster will freeze up. They clear up the surface film in no time. Another thing to use is a sponge filter, cheap and can be moved to a QT/hospital tank if needed as well.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I swear by surface skimmers. I used to use one on my old 55 on the intake for my canister. You can pick them up on Amazon for 10-15 bucks. Just be careful not to get any sand in them or the plastic screw adjuster will freeze up. They clear up the surface film in no time. Another thing to use is a sponge filter, cheap and can be moved to a QT/hospital tank if needed as well.
    Been considering just going that route since the Fx6 doesnt disturb my surface water much and it does accumulate some scum on it. Do they have sponge filters inside them also? Just not sure if I should be getting another full on filter like an AC 110 or a sponge filter to go in the tank.....

Real Name
    Mervin

On my FX6 I had to put my outlet near the surface to agitate the surface water to get rid of the surface scum.It worked for me.Plus it makes for more surface area for better gas exchange.Six footer,110 gal. tank with outlet in the center of the tank.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 12-27-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    On my FX6 I had to put my outlet near the surface to agitate the surface water to get rid of the surface scum.It worked for me.Plus it makes for more surface area for better gas exchange.Six footer,110 gal. tank with outlet in the center of the tank.
    Dont you bet dead spots within the tank ? Mine is also a 6 footer but I seem to have 1-2 dead spots in the corners of the tank. For the most part it works pretty well though and pushes all the crap to one of two sides for easy siphoning.

Real Name
    Mervin

I had the out take on the ends but I found this worked better in my tank.The surface movement seems to do the whole tank better.Surface movement is better IMO than bottom movement.Hence less scum and more O2.I have no issues with dead spots/nor no need to worry about them.

Registered Member

I've done the same thing on my 60 gallon, African cichlid tank. I rigged up the spray bar on one end and the return with the cheap skimmer attachment on the other. It works well. The current goes in a counter-clockwise racetrack motion. The dead spot is directly under the spraybar in the front, which makes for easier cleaning, since most of the detritus ends up collected in that spot.

Real Name
    Willie

I added a SunSun air pump to get rid of dead spots in my 110 and it took care of the surface scum as well.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

All good suggestions. If I dont feel like biting the bullet and spending more for a skimmer/small filter, ill most likely move my output around and play with the angle of flow.

Gator-is your setup with the output on one far side of the tank and a surface skimmer on the other? Thats the setup I was considering the most

Registered Member

Yeah, I cut the spray bar down to mount on the upper left side of the tank with most of the holes on the front half of the tank. And the skimmer intake is mounted to the middle of the right side of the take. It's an african cichlid tank, so I added a small Sicce nano to the lower side back right corner to keep the current going in counter-clockwise motion. Here's a link to the skimmer attachment I use:https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-T...uarium+skimmer It isn't fancy, but it's cheap and has served me well over the last 15 years. One recommendation is to get one of those magnetic holders. They are $8 or so, but remove the hassle of suction cups.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Nice, I considered those but wanted a separate system if possible. I went ahead and grabbed an Eheim 350 skimmer and a sponge filter. Figured since I already run a pump/air stone to the tank I might as well put a sponge filter under it and the skimmer will take care of the surface.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBraap View Post
    Nice, I considered those but wanted a separate system if possible. I went ahead and grabbed an Eheim 350 skimmer and a sponge filter. Figured since I already run a pump/air stone to the tank I might as well put a sponge filter under it and the skimmer will take care of the surface.
    Not a bad idea,should work fine.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Yeah. You can't go wrong with a sponge filter.