ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Made the jump to wilds

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: Made the jump to wilds

Four wilds left and one started that "whirling". Up in arms on what I'm going to do. Right now thinking about just culling all, empty tank, bleach it, and order some wild looking fish from Hans. Throwing in the towel on wilds for now.

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Four wilds left and one started that "whirling". Up in arms on what I'm going to do. Right now thinking about just culling all, empty tank, bleach it, and order some wild looking fish from Hans. Throwing in the towel on wilds for now.
    try reaching out to others on board first with wilds experience....if not too late

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You still have one which is whirling Roland? Mine have stopped and have returned to their normal look. Give it a little time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Okay Pat, will do, just did a WC and there was a sudden change in behavior. They are all swimming around at ease and not just staying in one area. Maybe thing starting to change for the good. Will wait and see.

Registered Member

I'm not sure what your routine is, but I would recommend not doing the huge 50-90% water changes. 20-30% a day is working very well for me. Best of luck.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Okay Pat, will do, just did a WC and there was a sudden change in behavior. They are all swimming around at ease and not just staying in one area. Maybe thing starting to change for the good. Will wait and see.
    Sounds like things are looking up Roland. Hopefully you will see a change where they are not showing bars and show more of that pretty yellow cast.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Another one started that whirling thing today, so after watching doing it three times during the course of the day, culled it just now. Now just down to three left. Letting things ride it out. At this point I feel I got some bad fish to start with. I guess that's why they were 4 for $100. Chocking this one up as a bad discus fish keeping experience. Hoping the remaining three make it. By the way hope your wilds are doing good. No more wilds from John for me.....

Real Name
    Tobi

Just read through your thread, I can only imagine your frustration. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer, just got into wilds myself. Did you feed tubifex by any chance?From what I gather they might be the carrier for the parasite linked to whirling. there are few medications that can help to reduce infection risk.

Found this online:
    Nitrofurazone (Furan 2) combined with AAP ParaGuard for in tank treatment.
    Methylene Blue, sodium chloride, along with Quick Cure or ParaGuard in a Fish Bath
    And Metronidizole & praziquantel as part of a fish food soak.

And this:
    some drugs, such as furazolidone, furoxone, benomyl, fumagillin, proguanil and clamoxyquine, have been shown to impede spore development, which reduces infection rates.

At this point maybe you could try to medicate to see if it maybe makes a difference?

IN TIME OUT!

Why dont you use jbl peat instead of tea rooibos ?

Real Name
    Jason

That's heart breaking mate, sorry to hear it's still persisting! The life cycle of the actual parasite, if it is the parasite, is said to be much longer than the time your fish have been in the tank. If it's the parasite, it's likely whoever sold them to you wouldn't have even known either. They all won't necessarily have it, especially since you've been removing them (the parasite can come out after death and can also be ingested from eating the dead fish), so I think it's pointless to kill the others that aren't showing symptoms.

Mine had it sporadically. He had it and would dash, but then he settled down and I thought it was over, and then it came back. The last time it came back, it came with a vengeance!

I think it's an opportunity, provided it's not the parasite, to get your systems and procedures working. If you can save the others, you may be demonstrating the practices you need with your system. Have you decreased the WCs in volume and frequency? Have you started feeding sparingly? Have a go at introducing Purigen in your filtration. Try a daily syphon without WC (just syphon through a filter sock placed in the sump and remove it). Have you made sure you're not pH shocking your fish with WCs?

If you've been doing those things, then you could try one of the medications to try to hit the `possible parasite`. You're probably not going to do any damage hitting the tank with General Cure or something.

In reality, I don't have much experience, and I can't tell you if what I did actually stopped it (because the fish that displayed it died, and the others didn't develop symptoms). But it was in my tank, and it hasn't been there since I did the above ^^things.

Good luck Roland, don't give up,
    Jas.

Real Name
    Jason

Any updates Roland?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey JBurgo thanks for following the progress of my wilds. As of today I have three left out of six. Last week went on to treat them with PraziPro. Finished the treatment and all seem to be just fine for now. Check video: https://youtu.be/wYEBW5Uo_UA

Real Name
    Jason

They're little beauties mate! Keep the chin up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Those fellas have a nice color and shape to them, I like the look. It is a shame you have had such issues with the others... What is your plan for the 3 of them now? 3 alone could cause you issue down the line as they mature, right?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Maybe down the road would like to add 2 more to the tank. For now just going to wait to ensure these guys are okay, plus don't want to risk any problems with new wilds addition. No plans for anymore tanks right now. I do have an 125G w/ 11 adult discus from Hans....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast