ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Calling all master aquascapers

Real Name
    Austin

Default Calling all master aquascapers

Hey guys,
    After redoing my hardscape many many times... i believe i have an idea to create a hardscape im actually happy about. My aim is a jungle scape featuring a great big root pushing seiryu rocks away. As if it nothing could stop it. Anyway, my current hardscape which i believe is the start of it has reached a snag. Not only does it not resemble my goal, i have no clue on the rock placement. I would greatly appreciate some assistance on the position of the stones. Attached is a picture of what it is currently.14829001180021350713166.jpg
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Calling all master aquascapers

I'm no "master aquascaper", but a few remarks from my personal taste:
    - The stone all the way to the left and right is a bit too close to the glass. Try to leave some space for the aquascape to end seamlessly.
    - The line of stones in front of the driftwood is a bit to even and straight. The aquascape would benefit from a bit more depth and surprise.
    - Your aim that you describe is clear and creative. Right now the driftwood comes across as trapped by the stones. Have you considered letting part of the driftwood break through somewhere along the stone wall? Maybe having moved some stones out of the way to visualize the impact of the breakthrough. You can angle the driftwood a little towards the front glass to create depth, allow for breakthrough and give space for somf background plants behind it.

Overall I think you are on to something good here and I wish you all the best! It will be interesting to follow your aquascape. Keep us posted!
    Last edited by LoGeek; 12-28-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Real Name
    Austin

I will have to try that, i did try to tilt the wood but the back of it ended touching the glass or the it was to close to the front, nevertheless i will try again.

angle the driftwood from the back right corner to the front at about a 30 degree angle and let it break through the stone????

Real Name
    Jörgen

You can also experiment with background color and different levels of sand.

Totally agree with LoGeek and Neptune. But the idea and execution are on point! Just minor tweaks. Different levels of your sand will give it more deminsions. Keep the line of stones but make it less intentional if that makes sense. Maybe take off a few smaller ones on the end and move them to front left corner since (1) the line doesn't have to span the absolute entire tank and (2) a random stone or two off the line may make it look more natural as well as provide a small focal point. Build sand towards back right corner for an ever so slight slope. All suggestions but hell, I like it even if you don't change it!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Austin

Ok so i have done a little planning, and have taken all ideas on board.
    -I will try my best to angle the dirftwood about 30 degrees, the limiting factor would be the distance between the back panal and front panal of glass.
    -I have also tried to differnt heights but the soil and sand allways seems to flattern out with the pump/wavemaker, nevertheless i will try by changing the rock formation and having the soil pushed back and adding some dark gravel to the soil (soil is eco complete)
    -Im also going to change the rock formation in a differnt approach with plenty of gaps filled with sand and plants to give the illusion the sand is also from the planted area
    -For long term jeopardy im also going to improve the borders between sand soil
    -Perhaps placing stones around the driftwood will look nice aswell

The badkground works with the rest of the house so i will not be changing it at this point, if i do though it would probably be black

Real Name
    Filip

Have you ever tried to fix the wood in a " upside down "manner from what it stands now ?
    It should stand taller that way and make the triangular look of your setup more accurate.

About the stones .
    Try to take out half of them out since there are too many IMO and work with the rest half of them to make them more randomly thrown on the bottom , in different depths and positions.
    Last edited by Filip; 01-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Real Name
    Austin

What do you mean by upside down? Do mean like as it sounds?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    What do you mean by upside down? Do mean like as it sounds?
    Yes.
    I meant to put the bottom laying side up if you can fix it that way.
    Its hard to tell Wood's shape from a pic but it seems to me that the wood will stand taller and give the tank more triangular look that way .
    And stones are way too inline .It would look more natural if you play them around in a random way .

Real Name
    Austin

Im not sure about flipping the wood, the bottom is just flat wich will look od and the anubias is reallly well established facing up. I will be changeing rock around alot, my current problem is the one of the far right, no idea what to do with it but i want to use it

Real Name
    Austin

Update: the wood has been moved and already looks alot better, i would post a picture but the camera on my phone makes the pics to big. Any way to make the file smaller so i can post it?

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    Update: the wood has been moved and already looks alot better, i would post a picture but the camera on my phone makes the pics to big. Any way to make the file smaller so i can post it?
    From the gallery in the phone you can usually open the picture in the phones photo editor and resize it.

Real Name
    Austin

I have also redid the right side of the rocks, opinions? Should i follow the same thing for the rest of the scape?

2017-01-22 16.32.50.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

It looks much more natural this way Austin . You can play with the stones and see what works and looks best for you .