ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Aquatop failed, new 2nd filter ideas for a 125

Default Aquatop failed, new 2nd filter ideas for a 125

Hey guys, my aquatop cf500uv canister messed up this week and got water all in the uv lamp, and messed my top fin stand up. I think I added way too much quilt batting therefore causing it to leak. Just a theory.

Anyway I currently have my Fx6 running the tank. I'm looking to get a 2nd canister to keep the tank as clean as possible.

Should I try another Aquatop, or would something like a Fluval 406 work? Can't go the sump route.

Any all ideas/opinions welcome.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Aquatop failed, new 2nd filter ideas for a 125

The FX6 should be more than enough for that size tank from what I've had experiences with the FX6's.

Real Name
    Willie

A canister filter will clean the water column. So if your water is clear, then that's all you can expect. If not, then adding another canister or HOB filter would help. If you like your water sparkling clean, then a micron filter would be needed. A HOT Magnum would work well.

Because oxygen is limiting in a canister, nitrogen cycling may also be limiting. If I ran a canister filter, I would add a different type of filter to maximize cleaning. Sponge filters are the best complement, by a power head on the back would also improve ammonia cycling.

Note that a canister filter won't pick up anything from the bottom of the tank or reduce the bacterial buildup on the glass surface. Only large water changes and wiping down the glass would do that.

Good luck, Willie

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Parker View Post
    Hey guys, my aquatop cf500uv canister messed up this week and got water all in the uv lamp, and messed my top fin stand up. I think I added way too much quilt batting therefore causing it to leak. Just a theory.

Anyway I currently have my Fx6 running the tank. I'm looking to get a 2nd canister to keep the tank as clean as possible.

Should I try another Aquatop, or would something like a Fluval 406 work? Can't go the sump route.

Any all ideas/opinions welcome.
    look at pinkyfilter, its very cheap(of course nowhere near as cheap as batting) and doesn't plug anywhere near as fast as quilt batting, stays together better too.

Real Name
    Mervin

And with a canister filter your should have the out-let near the surface for water movement.It makes the surface area larger and the movement helps with oxygenating the whole water column.Hence,the best way to feed O2 to the filter.The O2 goes in the water column from the surface and not from the filter itself.