ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Culturing Mosquito Larvae

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richie

Default Culturing Mosquito Larvae

So I want to get some more kinds of food in their diet, and I know discus adore mosquito larvae, but I'm super paranoid about diseases and etc for starting from scratch.
    Can anyone share their experiences on how they breed larvae well and healthy?
    Online How to's are basically just saying to put a bucket of water outside, but is there a better way of doing it?
    I've never breed or cultured anything.

Cheers

Default Re: Culturing Mosquito Larvae

I prefer a large containers of water rather than buckets. I toss in come old hay, leaves and maybe a bit of dirt. I get tons of larvae. My fish have never gotten a pathogen from them. I don't know what their nutritional value is. I do know that the Discus can't resist going for them because the larvae have this swisting motion as they swim. And just think...they're free!!!!!
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I prefer a large containers of water rather than buckets. I toss in come old hay, leaves and maybe a bit of dirt. I get tons of larvae. My fish have never gotten a pathogen from them. I don't know what their nutritional value is. I do know that the Discus can't resist going for them because the larvae have this swisting motion as they swim. And just think...they're free!!!!!
    True, I was just mostly worried about pathogens.
    Cheers, will have to wait for spring though

Registered Member

I was also interested in doing this as I used to do it for other fish with great results, I wonder whoever has any more experience in this because I am also concerned about and disease which can be introduced in the tank, even though the larvae would be coming from a controlled environment.

Registered Member

I have done this several times with know problems.VIP, put a screen on top of the bucket
    otherwise if they turn into mosquitos you will only be adding to your misery. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Keith024 View Post
    I was also interested in doing this as I used to do it for other fish with great results, I wonder whoever has any more experience in this because I am also concerned about and disease which can be introduced in the tank, even though the larvae would be coming from a controlled environment.
    I have a ton of experience doing it. I do not cover my containers. I just harvest the larvae before they turn into adults. The fish go crazy from them. If you're worried about it don't do it. An element of risk goes hand in hand with feeding live food.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thats true I always had very good results with other fish however never tried it with Discus and at my first chance I will try

Registered Member

Some mosquito larvae are a proven vector (carrier/transmitter) for mycobacteriosis (fish MB)

Registered Member

Is the mosquito larvae easy to see once it's ready?