AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: To cull or not to cull..?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Default To cull or not to cull..?

I've got a topic that I don't know if there is right or wrong answer to.
    Since most breeders are not growing out their stock to any degree, I may be wrong about this, are we not doing the wrong thing by not culling the less desireable traits out of a particular brood? Im guessing maybe 10-15% of the fish have the traits we are looking for. If dog breeders had gone about this in the same manner we'd have one mixed lot of mutts out there.. Perhaps we do. When you consider the genetic traits that I see coming about in terms of body form and coloring. The biggest challenge and opportunities may be what dictates the correct answer in any event..

Happy New Years!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: To cull or not to cull..?

Why do you think most breeders are not culling their stock? Culling starts as small as an inch.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

i am pretty sure that culling among the big name breeders is actually a very heavy handed thing.

culling from an inch or below to remove those with physical defects

culling any slow growing runts that are otherwise well cared for in order to keep the bloodline strong and weed out undesirable genes

and finally, weeding out or otherwise culling individual fish that do not develop to a set standard as the expense of raising said fish outweighs its value to the breeder, food and water changes are costly in the grand scheme of things!

Culling is a part of what we do when we breed.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

As a breeder it's unethical to sell runt or reject fish to a customer that's why we cull that doesn't meet the standard.

Real Name
    Willie

Not only do you cull the bad ones, but you get rid of the average ones. In any tankful of fish, when you move the worst one out, every remaining fish will grow a little better.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Thanks for all the responses.
    I consider this a learning experience and appreciate everyone's insights. Culling is indeed a common practice as everyone has put forth. My question is primarily directed at the proactive practice of culling and not growing fish out to a size where one can see the net result of a particular line. That takes time and enough holding tanks to accomplish. I stand corrected.

Best-

Real Name
    Mervin

We see all shapes these days.Many of our high profile breeders sell culls these days.Seems like anything with two eyes and the the right amount of fins will do,no matter the shape or form.I'm so glad there is a show standard and I hope it will not change.These treats may also get in the population in greater numbers if folks continue to cross them with non culls.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 01-02-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

The first part is to always cull. To many good fish out there to have crappy ones.

Second. It is much easier for me to cull than people on either side of me.....here is what I mean.... I do this as a serious hobby and not as my living. If someone is trying to pay their bills and buy food for their family with the sell of discus it can get pretty hard to cull something that will bring you at least some money. On the other side of me is the brand new animal rights discus breeder that thinks it is wrong to kill anything. Now I think we would all be better if we had consistent culling. The person trying to make a living would become known for high quality fish and would end up getting more money for his fish. In the long run he would end up making more money with fewer fish. The hobbyist would become more connected with how nature really works. Only the strong survive and the others become food for the preditors.

-john
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 01-03-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: John being John lol
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Steve

Strictly a technique question, how do you do your culling? I have a hard time chasing down any one 1.5" fish in a tank full of fry. I've tried lowering the water level some, but then they get more crowded and if I go so low as to lay them flat, it's hard to see body shape. I've tried scooping out a group and sorting them out of the tank, but I worry about damaging them. I also have the problem that I only have the good soft Jehmco nets in their large size, and their smaller ones have been out of stock. What kind of nets do you use? Do I just need to get better at netting them?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    The first part is to always cull. To many good fish out there to have crappy ones.

Second. It is much easier for me to cull than people on either side of me.....here is what I mean.... I do this as a serious hobby and not as my living. If someone is trying to pay their bills and buy food for their family with the sell of discus it can get pretty hard to cull something that will bring you at least some money. On the other side of me is the brand new animal rights discus breeder that thinks it is wrong to kill anything. Now I think we would all be better if we had consistent culling. The person trying to make a living would become known for high quality fish and would end up getting more money for his fish. In the long run he would end up making more money with fewer fish. The hobbyist would become more connected with how nature really works. Only the strong survive and the others become food for the preditors.

-john
    This is so true. What I don't understand is why some people chose to not cull and sell low quality fish? And why put a picture up of a gorgeous, perfect discus then deliver a football or runt to a good paying customer? It gives the seller a bad name and it leaves the buyer to cull them which is something no pet owner should have to do. If they really want to sell ugly fish they should have a grade D quality with a low price to reflect it.

I just paid $350.00 for a butterfly discus from one of these sellers. It was nothing like the picture advertisement. It was 6" shaped like a football with blue pepper blotches all over it. They said they pulled the discus from it's mate to give it to me. They weren't just selling but also breeding it. Bad business.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-11-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

So there's also several rounds of culling. Early on, it's about culling for obvious deformities and runts. You can do that with 1" fish. Then you grow the rest up and start to pick out your best fish at 2" or so. Over time, you'll end up with only the best of the best.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.