ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trung's 170 gals discus setup

Registered Member

Default Re: Trung's 170 gals discus setup

Looks great! The finishing touch will be to build a matching canopy!

Real Name
    Phil

Really nice I can't wait to see it wet!!!

looks great, nice use of molding on the stand.

Love the clean look of it and the stand it gorgeous. I particularly love the blue inside the stand. It sets the sump apart and will make it easier to see during maintenance instead of the clear and white walls and floor of the sump blending in to white paint in the stand- very smart.

I noticed the smaller tank in the back ground- you have it all going on at once! What will you do with that one? Can't wait to see the finished and furnished tank with fish.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Looks great! The finishing touch will be to build a matching canopy!
    Thanks but I never like the canopy for some reasons. Keeping discus means high temp water and the evaporation is very high, so canopy would not last long. Plus, I love the open space on top of the tank for easier maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Really nice I can't wait to see it wet!!!
    I will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    looks great, nice use of molding on the stand.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Love the clean look of it and the stand it gorgeous. I particularly love the blue inside the stand. It sets the sump apart and will make it easier to see during maintenance instead of the clear and white walls and floor of the sump blending in to white paint in the stand- very smart.

I noticed the smaller tank in the back ground- you have it all going on at once! What will you do with that one? Can't wait to see the finished and furnished tank with fish.
    Thanks Jenene. I painted a coat of water protection inside the stand before painting blue. In case if water drips or sump or hoses got leaked, the water would not damage much inside the stand.
    The small tank was a reef tank, and I just took it down and planning to do the planted tank. Not sure it will be up or not since I have been so busy with this big tank already.

Update on tank:
    I had a chance to work on plumbing, light hanger, and driftwoods.
    Plumbing: I basically use soft plastic water hose for draining and return water. Return pump is Jebao DCT Marine Controllable DCT-12000
    Lighting is my old light, Current USA LED light and 2 yellow LED lights from iKea for night time
    Driftwood: I attached the small pieces together by zipties and they look like a big tree root under the water. My tank theme is about Amazon biotope
    a14c68859fedccc63b802c9ca8cd29b7.jpgIMG_2672.jpg

and it is wet...

7144dce0607a6dbf74a032bbd841637d.jpg
    Last edited by trungnguyen; 01-04-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice. This is exactly the type of build I would make myself. I love all DIY. You should be very proud of yourself for that stand.

Have you considered painting the bulkheads white? That may clean up the distraction point of the black.

subbed and following.

Where are you getting the discus?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by trungnguyen View Post
    Thanks but I never like the canopy for some reasons. Keeping discus means high temp water and the evaporation is very high, so canopy would not last long. Plus, I love the open space on top of the tank for easier maintenance.

I will soon.

Thanks

Thanks Jenene. I painted a coat of water protection inside the stand before painting blue. In case if water drips or sump or hoses got leaked, the water would not damage much inside the stand.
    The small tank was a reef tank, and I just took it down and planning to do the planted tank. Not sure it will be up or not since I have been so busy with this big tank already.
    i agree about canopy, i always had them before. but now with the simplicity of LED lighting i do not have all the hardware to hide. I wasn't sure if i'd like it without the hood, but now prefer the look without the hood. my son commented on his own that tanks with hoods make the aquarium seem smaller.

its looking really nice.
    idea for the wood, you could drill and connect with plastic dowels or wooden dowels, and not have zip ties.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Very nice. This is exactly the type of build I would make myself. I love all DIY. You should be very proud of yourself for that stand.

Have you considered painting the bulkheads white? That may clean up the distraction point of the black.

subbed and following.

Where are you getting the discus?
    Thanks Ricardo. I enjoyed your building thread as well along with a reef build. I thought about the idea of painting the bulkheads and those draining dishes as well, but for some reasons I don't want to use any kind of chemical inside the tank even some of them are safe for aquarium and many people have proved using them.

About fish, I have been quarantining and growing a small group of discus since Christmas. I got them from David USA Angelfish, and they are about 2.5'' - 3". I am also doing a quarantine for a group of wild caught altum angelfish as well. They are all doing well. I will post pics of the fish later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    its looking really nice.
    idea for the wood, you could drill and connect with plastic dowels or wooden dowels, and not have zip ties.
    Thanks for the idea. I will look into that.

Small group of discus has been in QT and growing. They are 4 super blue angel, 4 super galaxy, and 1 heckle corss. They are from David USA Angelfish and Discus in Florida. They are doing good so far with eating bh mix, bio gold pellets, and FDBW
    IMG_2983.jpgIMG_2984.jpgIMG_2985.jpg

I also have had 8 wild caught altum angelfish have been in QT with meds, and they will go to the main tank first when the tank is cycled. My goal is to grow the altum in the main tank and the discus in the grow out tank. I will move the discus into the main tank when they are about 5 inches and above.

20 Sterbai cory catfish, 6 roseline sharks, 10 balloon rams, and 2 albino bushynose plecos are also in QT process as well.

Real Name
    Filip

Great tank , stand and discus Altogether Trung .
    Can't wait to see the grown discus swimming alltogether with Altums and Sterbais in this beauty .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

this is going to be a massive project...cant wait for next update...

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great tank , stand and discus Altogether Trung .
    Can't wait to see the grown discus swimming alltogether with Altums and Sterbais in this beauty .
    Thanks Filip. The tank seems doing good so far. I just did 90% wc today to help the cycle along with taking out the tannin color in water out. If everything is good, the. i will put a bottle bacteria in and move fish in next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    this is going to be a massive project...cant wait for next update...
    Thanks Dhavalsp.

Beautifully simple set up. Put them in already!!!!! J/k can't wait to see more
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast