ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Show on Netflix: First Contact: Lost Tribe of the Amazon

Default Show on Netflix: First Contact: Lost Tribe of the Amazon

First Contact: Lost Tribe of the Amazon

caught my eye as it was Amazon, have a look, not too long a documentary.
    no mention of Discus...

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Show on Netflix: First Contact: Lost Tribe of the Amazon

Jack I moved this thread to a more appropriate section for non discus chatter. Hope you don't mind

Real Name
    Ricardo

Haven't seen it but will look out for it. Thanks. I'm always looking for things to look at on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/HBO Go/Sling...

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

You know I'm all for finding and protecting them, BUT at what cost? I see disease and death and no good outcome except our veiwing pleasure. This outcome has just happened too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    You know I'm all for finding and protecting them, BUT at what cost? I see disease and death and no good outcome except our veiwing pleasure. This outcome has just happened too many times.
    Did you watch this show?

Real Name
    Matt

Just finished it, wished it were longer. It was so fascinating, I want to see and know more.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Just finished it, wished it were longer. It was so fascinating, I want to see and know more.
    it was short, true
    it brought up some topics i hadn't thought of. e.g. they are not lost, they were in hiding, and now being forced out by thugs on other side of protected land in another country.
    i was suprised by how fast they were willing to abandon the traditional way of life.

the banks of the river looked just like i remembered from 20 years ago.

Real Name
    Matt

The tidbit that made me go "Wow, that's really fascinating" was when he said as soon as they got or saw clothes for the first time, that they felt ashamed of being naked. Generations spent in a primitive way of life, never a care before but as soon as you get that one item of clothing it changes thousands of years of a line of thinking. I've never stopped to think of something that impactful and life changing happening, and never thought something could happen that fast. Here in the modern world we have news and communication so we know what kind of change is coming, like a change in technology that could revolutionize the way we live. We know self driving or AI cars are out there on their way. We have so much time to adapt to the new way of life that it never feels like a change. But to get items of clothing and instantly feel ashamed of how you lived before in the span of what months max? It's pretty crazy.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    The tidbit that made me go "Wow, that's really fascinating" was when he said as soon as they got or saw clothes for the first time, that they felt ashamed of being naked. Generations spent in a primitive way of life, never a care before but as soon as you get that one item of clothing it changes thousands of years of a line of thinking. I've never stopped to think of something that impactful and life changing happening, and never thought something could happen that fast. Here in the modern world we have news and communication so we know what kind of change is coming, like a change in technology that could revolutionize the way we live. We know self driving or AI cars are out there on their way. We have so much time to adapt to the new way of life that it never feels like a change. But to get items of clothing and instantly feel ashamed of how you lived before in the span of what months max? It's pretty crazy.
    one of my distinct memories from that trips was that i gave all my dirty underwear. that's right my DIRTY underwear (after trekking through the rain-forest) to some villagers along the river. they were elated to have it.

to clarify, i wasn't to natives, it was to people who came out the jungle and lived in a riverside village like the ones you see in the documentary.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ralph Arthur Bell

Thanks for the review, I am definitely going to watch this. I love documentary movies and non-fiction literature.
    Fish fish and more fish plz!