AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pigeon Blood Strains

Registered Member

Default Pigeon Blood Strains

Hello.

I am quite new to the wonderful world of discus. I bought a couple of 2" discuses that I hope to breed when they are older. I've been extensively researching the breeding process of discuses and have found that non-pigeon strains should not be mixed with pigeon strains otherwise peppering would occur.

The issue I am running into is that I am unaware of what the pigeon-blood strains are. Is it as simple as if they have stress bars they are non-pigeons, or is it more complicated than that.

My question is are "Super Red Discus" non-pigeon or pigeon? Same with "Golden Discus", would they non-pigeon or pigeon?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Pigeon Blood Strains

Quote Originally Posted by Braxton View Post
    Hello.

I am quite new to the wonderful world of discus. I bought a couple of 2" discuses that I hope to breed when they are older. I've been extensively researching the breeding process of discuses and have found that non-pigeon strains should not be mixed with pigeon strains otherwise peppering would occur.

The issue I am running into is that I am unaware of what the pigeon-blood strains are. Is it as simple as if they have stress bars they are non-pigeons, or is it more complicated than that.

My question is are "Super Red Discus" non-pigeon or pigeon? Same with "Golden Discus", would they non-pigeon or pigeon?

Many thanks!
    Good luck! There are so many strains and so many crosses it's tough to keep track of them all.

Here is a link that will hopefully help you some.

http://www.discusnada.org/discus-classification/

What I do know is there are many variations of the PB strain. You have pandas, checkerboard, maze, pearl, rafflesia, red eagle, etc. Another problem is breeders will give their fish a different name due to one specific trait that they focus on that may vary it slightly.

It's safe to say that PBs don't have bars but not all barless fish are PB. General idea is non PB x PB will yield heavily peppered fry but I believe it's moreso a PB to a fish with bars. With that said they do successfully cross PBs with snakeskins which do have bars.

Over time breeders have minimized peppering but it's still a concern. My. PBs have very minimal peppering and I initially had them in a planted tank with black substrate.

I myself am a fan of the PB strains but many have something against them. I have a red check, a golden check and a rafflesia

Also a word of caution. Having only 2 2" can be problematic. It's best to have 5 or 6 and then hopefully you can pull a pair from the group once they mature.
    Last edited by Ryan925; 01-05-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Good luck! There are so many strains and so many crosses it's tough to keep track of them all.

Here is a link that will hopefully help you some.

http://www.discusnada.org/discus-classification/

What I do know is there are many variations of the PB strain. You have pandas, checkerboard, maze, pearl, rafflesia, red eagle, etc. Another problem is breeders will give their fish a different name due to one specific trait that they focus on that may vary it slightly.

It's safe to say that PBs don't have bars but not all barless fish are PB. General idea is non PB x PB will yield heavily peppered fry but I believe it's moreso a PB to a fish with bars. With that said they do successfully cross PBs with snakeskins which do have bars.

Over time breeders have minimized peppering but it's still a concern. My. PBs have very minimal peppering and I initially had them in a planted tank with black substrate.

I myself am a fan of the PB strains but many have something against them. I have a red check, a golden check and a rafflesia

Also a word of caution. Having only 2 2" can be problematic. It's best to have 5 or 6 and then hopefully you can pull a pair from the group once they mature.
    Do you happen to know if the "Super Red Discus" or "Golden Discus" is a pigeon based?

Real Name
    Filip

Hello.

Many thanks!
    Hi Braxton and welcome to Simply discus .

It would be wiser for you to start reading the stickies in the begginer section about the general discus upkeep first , before you explore the world of breeding .

For breeding purpose people either buy a proven grown up pair or start with +6 , preferably 10 small discus hoping that some of them will form pair and breed 5-6 months after their purchase .
    It would be good if you can properly introduce your tank , filling the Tank Questionnaire from the begginer section stickies , so that people can offer you more help and advice in achieving your goals .
    Both of your dicus are Pigeon blood based , but don't get your hopes up , that they will surely grow to be a pair .

Good luck Braxton and keep us posted .

Do you happen to know if the "Super Red Discus" or "Golden Discus" is a pigeon based?
    No one except the breeder can answer this question for you without more info. Both of these names are made up names by the breeder. They are not names of recognizable strains. Pics would help. My best guess would be that the super red is pigeon based. There are many strains that look golden in color that are pigeon based but there is also a gold gene that is used in naming some strains. A discus could have the gold gene without or with being pigeon based.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association