AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Fry: when to medicate?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Default Discus Fry: when to medicate?

I have a small batch of fry, 2 months old 3/4" that were hand raised in tap water. Isolated tank where they shared it with no other fish.
    Transferred to my home two (2) weeks ago into again, an isolated tank that was setup with a seed of bio from another tank, one week prior to introducing. Potted plants, driftwood and the usual.

Question: What ailments should I be most concerned about and which medications specifly are safe for fry.
    I use general cure and furan as well as Metro generally for the larger fish.
    Gill flukes are my chief concern. I also feed live California black worms (clean) and brine shrimp exclusively at this age.

Thanks in advance..

Default Re: Discus Fry: when to medicate?

Bacterial, Fungal, and Gill flukes. I used mild PP and lots of water change a day. Don't add any unnecessary stuff just keep it simple. It will only complicate things and also your fry is probably behind in growth. They should be 1.5"-2" by now

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

PP help me out here. Potassium permaganate? What percentages or is there a brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by relliott View Post
    I have a small batch of fry, 2 months old 3/4" that were hand raised in tap water. Isolated tank where they shared it with no other fish.
    Transferred to my home two (2) weeks ago into again, an isolated tank that was setup with a seed of bio from another tank, one week prior to introducing. Potted plants, driftwood and the usual.

Question: What ailments should I be most concerned about and which medications specifly are safe for fry.
    I use general cure and furan as well as Metro generally for the larger fish.
    Gill flukes are my chief concern. I also feed live California black worms (clean) and brine shrimp exclusively at this age.

Thanks in advance..
    Honestly... None.

By hand raised I assume you mean artificial? If so theres little chance of flukes being an issue unless you introduced them with your biofilter..not likely though.

Really you shouldnt have need to medicate fry and in my experience its hard on them and they tend to never grow as well non medicated fry. Best to treat the parents and let them have more fry,

Keep the water clean and feed well and they should be fine. If you want to learn more about PP...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nganate-aka-PP

Caution... it can be very very harsh or deadly if misused. Common lore has it as a panacea for all external fish ailments....its not. But used responsibly it can be very usefull.
    Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Thanks Al I was thinking the same.
    My concern was that at such a young age, if they were to develop something I wouldn't be able to discern what the problem was. A general cure such as PP would be in order. I agree that medicating is tricky at best. Appreciate all the input!

They are growing at a remarkable rate even in the two weeks I've had them..
    best to leave things alone unless there's an obvious problem.

Best-

Registered Member

I haven't used any medication for over 10 years, only
    use medication for hatching eggs. When I did use any meds in the pass it was recommendations from
    Herman Chan. He would take a jar out from under the counter and tell me the doseage.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

I'll ask Herman, or his wife these days as he's basically deaf now at 92 years old. Same age as Jack Wattley in Miami FL,
    Has that ever gleam in his eyes and smile.. he very much enjoys himself. Shoujd we all be so lucky! I'm sure he has something in his sleeve that will work.

Thanks Ciiff