ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planted tank and water changes

Registered Member

Default Planted tank and water changes

I have enjoyed exploring the site and have found it to be very helpful in getting me started in the world of discus keeping. The question I have is this - I have a 90 heavily planted tank that is about 2 years old. After about 6 months I removed the hob filter that i seeded the tank with and my parameters have been spot on since. In fact I have not done a water change in 18 months only top offs. I have 30 fish in the tank from bolivians, neons, columbian tetras, guppies, and cories. I was hoping to add about 5-7 discus but everything I have read tells me I need to do regular water changes.

So this brings me to my question. What is the purpose of the water change and why make a water change if your parameters are good and stable? I would really like to keep discus but if water changes are mandatory am not sure I will be able to.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Planted tank and water changes

Your tank might be in balance right now, but adding discus will drastically increase the bioload. They are big fish that needs lots of food and your tank will not be in balance anymore. Furthermore, they have greater demands for high water quality than your current stock.

If you are not able to do frequent water changes than you probably should stay away from discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

When you say balanced.What are the readings?TDS,nitrates,PH?What are you using to keep the PH from crashing.Some tough little fish you have there.18 months with no maintenance/WC must be like swimming in a toilet bowl.A discus would be more like WC's every 18 hours.

Registered Member

Good morning Bluelagoon thanks for replying - my ph is steady at 7.4, amonnia is 0, nirtrite is 0, and nitrate is between 5-10, water temp is 82. I tap off with half ro/tap water when needed. There are a large number of plants and a large piece of driftwood and the tank's substrate is dirt and stone. I have 4 T5 lights that run 8-10 hours a day. There are also 2 powerheads to providde movement and 02 as well. I have been following the Walstad method. I have had very few deaths actually none in the past 8 months or so and my cories spawn regularly.

So this takes me back to my original question if my parameters are stable and I test every 4 days whats the purpose of the water changes.....aren't the parameters more important. As far as the left over food the it is converted into needed nutrients.

If you bioload isnt exceeding your cycles capability why change the water? Please explain the history of water changes in respect to discus.

Again thanks for replying!

Registered Member

good morning LoGeek - I agree adding that many large fish might temporarily knock my cycle off course - but lets say I am capable of maintaining it could it be done?

Real Name
    Mervin

There are still DOC and TDS to contend with.What are you doing about those?

i'd like to see a pic of your setup if you'd post it.

I've read her book, and many others. I personally think it could be, but in a much bigger tank than that.

i grew out in a planted tank with a large sump, about 2x the volume of water you have. as the fish grew and size of feces grew, the water went foul fast and required many more WC than i wanted to bother with frankly. having the plants, stones and wood made it all the harder to vacuum off the sand too.

what is your substrate?

if i were you, i'd get a simple bare bottom setup going and grow them out there, then after grown add them to your planted, see how the walstad method handles that.

I have had a tank that was so packed with plants you could not even see the fish, but still, that setup couldn't keep up with a medium fish load. i saw cories hemorrhage and die from high nitrates. i tend to stock on the heavy side. in your setup, you have a much lighter fish load than i end up with. Discus make a lot of bioload.
    Last edited by Jack L; 01-07-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Registered Member

well the dissolved organic carbon is being used up by the plants and helps with good bacterial growth - it must not be much of a factor because my ph is stable and as far as the total dissolved solids that are in the water my hardness hasn't changed overtime either....although I add ro I am also using tap to replace any minerals and such that might be lacking......

so what do you think if I can maintain my parameters and my cycle can keep up with the added livestock can it be done?

Registered Member

I've had planted tanks for a number of years and started with discus about 6 months ago in a high tech planted tank. If you keep your params stable and you are very capable of keeping a planted tank, the discus are actually the easy part, but that's easier said than done. When you're talking about discus in planted tanks, you have to be considering adults only, so buy the biggest discus you can afford. Don't expect any more growth after you add them to your planted set up. As far as water changes go, I use the EI method and do a 50% water change/gravel vac once per week and usually 1-2 25-50% change throughout the week. I do not believe that the Walstad method will work with discus in a 90 gallon, even if you only had a pair of discus and no other fish. Without large and frequent water changes, I think you'll probably run into more water quality/algae issues with a low tech system because of all of the excess nutrients and dissolved organic compounds. Discus eat a ton and produce a lot of waste. You will probably need to reduce the bio load you have right now to a few dither fish and scavengers and maybe 7 or 8 discus. In general, you'll battle 2 things with discus waste in a planted tank: 1) dissolved organic compounds from decaying protein (hence my extra 2 25-50% WC's) and 2) food debris/detritus on everything. Notice I did not say nitrates and phosphates. People on SD will tell you that less nitrates are better, but that only applies when the nitrates are from fish waste/decaying food (most people don't realize what they're doing is using nitrates as an indicator of dissolved organics, which are the real culprit, you could actually dose nitrates up to about 40 ppm and have no ill effects on your discus). You'll probably dose more nitrates and phosphates along with trace elements, although you'll modify the amount of nitrates you add since discus are heavy protein eaters.

So, long story short, I recommend learning all you can about EI, CO2 as a limiting nutrient and keeping a planted tank (besides using the Walstad method), get your tank and new method stabilized, and go with large/adult discus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rclarkie View Post
    well the dissolved organic carbon is being used up by the plants and helps with good bacterial growth - it must not be much of a factor because my ph is stable and as far as the total dissolved solids that are in the water my hardness hasn't changed overtime either....although I add ro I am also using tap to replace any minerals and such that might be lacking......

so what do you think if I can maintain my parameters and my cycle can keep up with the added livestock can it be done?
    if you are asking if your setup could handle the bioload of Discus, it would be hard for me to imagine it working. you could always try it, just keep the spare ready to hold them for when your 90 starts smelling like a sewer.

one day i might try it with a 220 or something and a small discus school, say 6, and no filters but plants. but i know my 140 w/ plants AND sump, could not keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexMoHoosier View Post
    I've had planted tanks for a number of years and started with discus about 6 months ago in a high tech planted tank. If you keep your params stable and you are very capable of keeping a planted tank, the discus are actually the easy part, but that's easier said than done. When you're talking about discus in planted tanks, you have to be considering adults only, so buy the biggest discus you can afford. Don't expect any more growth after you add them to your planted set up. As far as water changes go, I use the EI method and do a 50% water change/gravel vac once per week and usually 1-2 25-50% change throughout the week. I do not believe that the Walstad method will work with discus in a 90 gallon, even if you only had a pair of discus and no other fish. Without large and frequent water changes, I think you'll probably run into more water quality/algae issues with a low tech system because of all of the excess nutrients and dissolved organic compounds. Discus eat a ton and produce a lot of waste. You will probably need to reduce the bio load you have right now to a few dither fish and scavengers and maybe 7 or 8 discus. In general, you'll battle 2 things with discus waste in a planted tank: 1) dissolved organic compounds from decaying protein (hence my extra 2 25-50% WC's) and 2) food debris/detritus on everything. Notice I did not say nitrates and phosphates. People on SD will tell you that less nitrates are better, but that only applies when the nitrates are from fish waste/decaying food (most people don't realize what they're doing is using nitrates as an indicator of dissolved organics, which are the real culprit, you could actually dose nitrates up to about 40 ppm and have no ill effects on your discus). You'll probably dose more nitrates and phosphates along with trace elements, although you'll modify the amount of nitrates you add since discus are heavy protein eaters.

So, long story short, I recommend learning all you can about EI, CO2 as a limiting nutrient and keeping a planted tank (besides using the Walstad method), get your tank and new method stabilized, and go with large/adult discus.
    Tex, is your tank pics on here somewhere?

Registered Member

Hi Jack I will post a picture of my tank later today when the lighting is a bit better to take picture. I see your merit in a grow out tank for sure. I used organic potting soil and rather large pebbles for the substrate. I ve had very little algae growth and the cories are doing a great job with the left over food - still getting the hang of feeding the fish rather then the tank...lol. I have been keeping neons solely for the nitrate build up I like to think of them as my tank canaries!

What other books would you recommend me to read?

Registered Member

thanks Tex I will check out the EI method.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have done both methods in tanks years ago.And they do work well.The EI method for adult discus does seem to work;at least it did for me.I got tired of the maintenance and went back to simple discus keeping.The tank I did nothing with and only top offs only had a light bioload and not discus.WC's seem to be a the key for young healthy discus.

Real Name
    Filip

The main reason that discus requires much more WCs than the rest of the freshwaters is their non compatible immune systems with the pathogens that thrive in a a high PH water environments .
    Simply put , they originate from Amazon waters with very low PH where the number and the species of bacteria and pathogens in water is far more restricted than in our PH 7 tank water . Their immune system is made accordingly , and can't put up with bacterial counts in our tank water .

The result of keeping discus in a planted , dirty bottom tank without many Wcs and cleaning is ussualy compromised immune systems and discus oftenly getting sick from different diseases .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast