AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Tank Setup -Plz help!

Registered Member

Cool New Tank Setup -Plz help!

Hello. Greetings from Memphis, Tennessee. I'm just getting back into the aquarium hobby from about a decade away. I am new to Discus, but like a good challenge. Perhaps that is part of the enticement. I initially purchased a 125 gal long, but my wife and I both agreed that it did not really fit in our breakfast nook, so I purchased a used 75 gal. Standard 48 x 21 x 18. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on bio-load, setup, plants, filtration, etc.,

I am planning an Amazonian fish bio-type, low-tech planted tank focusing on the Discus preferences, but will be cheating on the bio-type with the plants. I have decided to go with a BB tank and would prefer not to mess with CO2 so that greatly limits my plant choices. I might eventually try pool sand, but for now I figured I should give myself the best chance for success. Here is what I was thinking:

Hydor Professional 450 Canister Filter (pushes between 260-320gph)
    Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel
    2 Fluval E Series Heaters 300w (just ordered)
    Planning on keeping the tempature at 82 F.

Yesterday, i bought some plants from Dustins that should be arriving later this week. Picked up several types of Anubias, some Taxiphyllum Barieri and one Amazon Sword. The Anubias and Java fern I am planning on affixing to the Driftwood. The Amazon Sword is an experiment. I have an aquarium decoration log that I am planning on putting substrate in and then planting the Amazon Sword sticking out the top. The idea is to have a tank that looks as natural as possible, but is still easy to clean. Does anyone forsee any problems with this?

I also ordered an Amzdeal LED 30 cm Aquarium light. They were $22, but reviewed very well, and so I am planning on putting it directly over the Amazon Sword. The other plants are all less undemanding in their light requirements. At a later date I might pick up some Crystalwart as cover.

I've decided to stick with 6 Discus, 12 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Corydoras S. and a mating pair of Bolivian Rams.

I used some Tetra startup to jump start my cycle. I'm also hoping to start cycling my Quarantine tank later today.

Anyway, any suggestions, recommendations or helpful advice would be greatly welcomed.

Registered Member

Default Re: New Tank Setup -Plz help!

Hey SF. Did you get your tank setup? Curious to see how it turned out. Going to be going with a similar setup on a hundred and twenty five gallon tank bare bottom with Driftwood and a few plants.