ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help-Blue Diamond and Red/Mandarin Passion pairing up

Real Name
    Dale

Question Help-Blue Diamond and Red/Mandarin Passion pairing up

So last night in my 100gal display tank I noticed a Blue Diamond and a Red/Mandarin Passion pairing up doing the whole shimmy and shake, cleaning a slate rock and chasing others away; expect to come home to eggs this eve. THE QUESTION IS WHAT WILL THE FRY LOOK LIKE? Neither are PB so shouldn't have peppering but not sure what is dominate trait and unsure of the outcome of the cross. I reviewed the threads and saw one of a Blue Diamond and a Marlboro that looked ok, but I know the Marlboro is a PB trait and not a solid trait. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE?

I can pull them and place them into my breeder tanks, I have room to breed them; or I also have room to separate them and I think I have a PB also interested in the Red/Mandarin Passion since it and the Blue Diamond have been fighting pretty fiercely the last week. I currently have a breeding pair of Red/Mandarin Passions in a breeding tank but they haven't proven themselves and are like 6 or so lays into it.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Default Re: Help-Blue Diamond and Red/Mandarin Passion pairing up

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    THE QUESTION IS WHAT WILL THE FRY LOOK LIKE? Neither are PB so shouldn't have peppering but not sure what is dominate trait and unsure of the outcome of the cross. I reviewed the threads and saw one of a Blue Diamond and a Marlboro that looked ok, but I know the Marlboro is a PB trait and not a solid trait. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE?
    Actually, mandarin passion are pigeon based which is caused by a dominant mutation. The MP also carry a dominant mutation which causes the lack of pattern. In addition the blue diamond carries the recessive BD gene. So 3 mutated genes in this one. The 2 doms will determine the overall look. If the pigeon gene is homozygous, then all the fry will be pigeons. If not, and we get throwbacks to brown based fry, then we are dealing with a heterozygous gene. Same with the no pattern gene, either some, or all will carry this trait. The solid pattern of the blue diamond will recede leaving a more typical wild type pattern, but only if the no stripe gene is heterozygous. If the no stripe gene is in pure form, then no proper pattern will form on them at all.

So the range of results could include mandarin passion type, marlbro type, pattern pigeon type, brown based turk varieties, rose red types and regular brown based wild types. Pepper could be an issue on the pigeons!

Real Name
    Dale

Rod, Wow thank you for that very in depth technical response! Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Dale

As suspected they did lay. Based on Rod's reply above I am very curious and am going to breed them and see what the outcome does indeed become.

Here they are....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is not a blue diamond BTW. See the spotting in the fins and various markings in the face and body. A blue diamond is a solid fish and doesn't have those markings. Guess you are looking at a cobalt or similar.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Dale

Hummm

He doesn't show any bars and breaks in color like a regular Cobalt, but I do see the markings especially in his fin area.

Any way I am anxiously going to wait and see what develops.
    Last edited by Yom; 01-13-2017 at 12:02 PM.

My guess is thats a variety of blue snakekin...very fine pattern. The gill plate markings and those small spots on the fins ...reminescent of scorpion snakeskins.

Should be some interesting fry!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images