AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Newbie filtering options and tank size questions :)

Registered Member

Default Breeding Newbie filtering options and tank size questions :)

Hey guys,

As some of you know I am fairly new to Discus. I have recently purchased 7 Discus from a local very reputable discus importer form Malaysia. I got two couples (one confirmed breeding couple) and the rest ''singles'', all in the same tank (350 litres including sump) One of the couple as from the first day in the tank started laying eggs and it has gone already through three batches in just a few weeks and they dont seem to want to stop breeding. I have also tried to raise artificially a batch of 100 fry, however I wasnt well prepared and had an issue with the brine shrimp eggs which none of them hatched. The breeding pair are also stressing out the other fish to the point that some of the most shy sometimes start breathing from one gill. One of the ''single' discus has also started laying eggs in the same tank alone with no partner. I hope that this is a good sign that water parameters are good and the fish are happy apart form the stress being caused by the breeding couple who have become very territorial and aggressive at times.

In view of the above I am planning to move out of this tank and separate at least the breeding pair and possibly also the other pair to a DIY breeding tanks.

Now my plan was to breed the two couples and the question is this; I have been researching all around the internet and here on the forum and cannot get to a decision on what size and how much tanks I would practically need to breath 1 to 2 couples and also to raise their fry. Also what type of filtration should I go for, I have mixed feelings on if I should go for sponge filtering, sump or filtering or go for an internal sump inside the tank like a refugium? (dont know what its called in english exactly).

The idea of having all the tanks linked to one sump and having all the tanks with the same water sounds good, but then if I get a disease in one tank it will be quickly spread in all other tanks, however on the other hand it would be easy to transfer any fish to any tank having the same water.

What about sponge filtering powered by air pumps? would this be enough? Because going this direction would save me the space of a sump and thus may gain space for another tank instead of the sump?

I am somewhat restricted in space and cannot set up all the tanks I want, but I can afford to build a DIY rack for 2 to 3 tanks. The question is what size to go for and filtering.

I would appreciate if I could get some feedback from you guys on how you have your breeding setup please.

Thank you and have an awesome Discus day !

Registered Member

Default Re: Breeding Newbie filtering options and tank size questions :)

I am curious on the type of filtration and size of tanks to breed and raise fry used by the seasoned breeders here on this great forum. Anyone?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Like most things with discus there's no one right answer to this. Personally I use 29 gallon tanks for breeder tanks and 55s for growing out fry. I only have sponge filters in my tanks.

Real Name
    Steve

I also only use sponge filters. I have 55 and 75 gallon tanks that I use for breeding, and I remove the parents when the the fry are old enough, letting the fry have the tank. Depending on the size of the batch, I've eventually had to start culling or split the batch between two tanks to give them enough space.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Many thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated and will help us newbies reduce the error portion in the trial and error learning curve (which is quite steep at the monent).

I understand that one could go by with just sponge filtration, however would have to rely on larger daily water changes. Thus I am now more leaning towards setting up a 3 tier rack, capable of holding x2 (58 gallon) tanks and a sump or 3 tanks with the sump on the side or another method of filtration (if more tank space is needed). The tanks would have the possibility to get a seperator inserted temporarily in the middle transforming a 58 gallon into a 29 gallon breeder. All tanks would drain in each other and into the sump and back to the top tank, thus having all tanks with the same water, making transfer of fry from 1 tank to the other easier. Between each tank I was planning to have a 4.7" working gap to give enough room for plumping and for cleaning etc.. would this be enough?

I will try and upload a diagram of what I have in mind to make it clear and esier for you guys to give me some constructive criticism

Cheers! IMG-20170114-WA0001.jpg SC
    Last edited by Keith024; 01-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

My guess would be with only 7 inches of clearance your going to find wiping down glass etc. a hassle. If it's worth the trade off for you, I'm sure you can make it work.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    My guess would be with only 7 inches of clearance your going to find wiping down glass etc. a hassle. If it's worth the trade off for you, I'm sure you can make it work.
    The plan was 4.7 inches not 7 inches. So I guess its not enough right? What minimum clearance between tanks do you guys recommend please? as I am somewhat restricted with ceiling height and would like to fit 3 tanks or 2 tanks and a sump in the height I have.

Many thanks once again

Registered Member

Maximum height I have (basement) is 209cm approx 82 inches.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Others are going to have to speak to optimal spacing, I'm fortunate to not have to do that currently. Could you use a bit of a stair design on your rack so you'd have better access to your tanks?

Real Name
    Steve

Nice idea Keith!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Others are going to have to speak to optimal spacing, I'm fortunate to not have to do that currently. Could you use a bit of a stair design on your rack so you'd have better access to your tanks?
    Yes that would something to consider and actually a good idea thanks

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I'm sorry to ask a question in a existing thread. I'm unable to post a new thread. So, I have a pair of yellows and they have been breeding for the past two months but with no luck ( in a community tank). They are confirmed male and female.
    So last week I set up their own breeding tank - 29 gallon tank, painted white in the back, sponge filter and a heater at 82F. I have my ph at 7.6 (steady) and no ammonia or nitrates. But the eggs turn white after 48 hours.
    Here is a picture of discus after 36hours -
    yellow pair.jpg
    The pair seems to be very young though male is little over 4inches and the female about 4.5inches. Any suggestions here is very appreciated. Its giving me a lot of stress to see them try so hard and go wasted.
    Thank you,
    Sanjay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Firstly, I'm sorry to ask a question in a existing thread. I'm unable to post a new thread. So, I have a pair of yellows and they have been breeding for the past two months but with no luck ( in a community tank). They are confirmed male and female.
    So last week I set up their own breeding tank - 29 gallon tank, painted white in the back, sponge filter and a heater at 82F. I have my ph at 7.6 (steady) and no ammonia or nitrates. But the eggs turn white after 48 hours.
    Here is a picture of discus after 36hours -
    yellow pair.jpg
    The pair seems to be very young though male is little over 4inches and the female about 4.5inches. Any suggestions here is very appreciated. Its giving me a lot of stress to see them try so hard and go wasted.
    Thank you,
    Sanjay
    I am no expert in fact I am a Discus breeding beginner, however you may want to check if the male is infertile (maybe by changing the male?), if they/he is too young, or if you have two females.

Registered Member

Can anyone with experience advise on minimum decent clearance between stacked tanks on top of each other please?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith024 View Post
    I am no expert in fact I am a Discus breeding beginner, however you may want to check if the male is infertile (maybe by changing the male?), if they/he is too young, or if you have two females.
    I'm 100% sure its a male and I did think of having another male. But I'm doubtful if the new male and female will get along (considering how pricey discus are to gamble)
    Will lowering the ph make difference I do have peat granules from fluval, but not sure how to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast