ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uatuma Red Spotted Green and Madeira Heckels

Registered Member

Default Re: Uatuma Red Spotted Green and Madeira Heckels

Nice discus, your quarenteine looks more beautifull and biotope correct than most show tanks here (including my past tank). Are those plant leaves from your backyard? What are your water parameters and what is your wc regime? How big is this tank?

Real Name
    Tobi

Haha, thank you. Actually yes, the palm leaf is off my date palm and I have an Indian Almond which I planted 5 years ogo for Discus keeping. The floaters are Pistia sp which grow in my wife's pond like weeds. The plec keeps sucking them so I have to replace them quite regularly.

The tank is 450 liters which is 120 us gallon I think. Their permanent tank will be a 190g. I'm now contemplating to keep the 120 for the 10 heckels only and just move the greens and add some more in a bit.

PH is 6.6, tap is 6.8, so my wc are straight from tap with Seachem Prime and Stressguard 60% every 3 days at the moment. Same protocol as for my Stendker tank and the Asian tank, only they don't need the stressguard.

Real Name
    Patty

Really like your fish, tank and those dwarfs too. Can't wait to see their permanent home if this is the quarantine tank! How cool that you can grow your own almond leaves!
    Patty

Real Name
    Tobi

Thank you Patty, I can't wait either to move them to the permanent setup, but it looks like it will take a couple months, the custom tank is taking longer than anticipated.

Also I just read in one of Bleher's publications that there are no S. discus in the Maderira river. I've contacted him to see if he can help identify mine further.

IMG_5862.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

Also, additional qt is set up for the next batch due to arrive this week at the importer's. Apparently some reds and blues including semi and royals. Will update once I know what's there and what ends up in this qt
    IMG_5865.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

IMG_5886.jpg
    So here's what ended up in qt this time, 10 colombian Altums. Lord help me

Real Name
    Tobi

Also came with the Altums, 4 Putamayo greens, 2 Uaru fernandezyepezi, 1 L128, 1 L091 and some Coridoras "Super schwartzi". All doing well, already taking Brine shrimp and fdbw.
    IMG_5924.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5910.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

Little update on qt no1, 3 1/2 weeks since they moved in.
    Everyone is looking good and healthy, eating like pigs.
    https://youtu.be/a_Q2PouXEoI
    IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5953.jpg
    IMG_5954.jpg
    IMG_5955.jpg

Registered Member

Heckels and blues come form the river systems/lakes that run parallel to Rio Madeira. In heckles this are abaxias, unini, basically the southern arm of the heckle distribution. In Blues its mainly Canuma river. By te way, feeling any choking sensation? I apologize for my huge green monster.

Registered Member

Nice fishies. How many are you shooting for in the big tank? How many do you have so far? You are on a roll.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    By te way, feeling any choking sensation? I apologize for my huge green monster.
    I don't get it, sorry. English is not my first language, maybe that's the issue?

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Nice fishies. How many are you shooting for in the big tank? How many do you have so far? You are on a roll.
    I'm at 25 wilds now, got 5 Beruri blues in the 3rd qt since monday. They got some Uatuma blues and Heckel crosses in, which will be available from the weekend, so might get some of those or more Beruris.
    IMG_5991.jpg
    IMG_5992.jpg
    IMG_5993.jpg

https://youtu.be/98CW5hInpaA

They are eating, so they should get some meat on them soon.

There are several different options I'm playing with, at the moment it looks like the Heckels will go in the 120 permanently, the greens in a 220 yet to be bought and the blues in the 190 gal. The Altums go with either the green or the heckels, in which case they will get the 220. All the plecs will go with my Stendkers ( 10 at the moment, 12 more ordered) in the 325 gal, which is being built as we speak.

I have my eye on a group of Acestridium dichromum for the greens tank and Farlowella acus (if they really are acus, hard to tell) for the blues.

The eques cories will stay wth the heckels, the schwarzi with the greens, and the blues will get kanei or axelrodi, yet to be decided. Sterbai are already with the Stendkers.

Biotoecus and Dicrossus will be split into differen tanks as well, and for the third tank I have the Uarus. Once they grow and potentially get too aggressive, they will get a dedicated tank, but for now they are fine to go with one of the Discus groups, whichever ends up without dwarfs.

I'm also considering some characins for each tank, the stendkers have Rummies and cardinals. Might get some Carnegiella strigata, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma and maybe green neons, but I fear they may be too small and end up as snacks.

The heckels will get "blackwater look", as will the Altums. So it seems logical to put them together.

I know all my quarantines look the same, but subjectively the stained water, floating plants and branches/palm leaves and sand help settle them quite well.
    Last edited by Swedgin; 02-16-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Registered Member

Green monster means jealousy, it was a joke . Btw be carefull with what you feed your panda uaros, those are almost pure herbivors. You could do a small aquaponic system by diverting tank water to grow lettuce and similar vegetables. You would get less nitrates in the water, cleaner tank and food for your uaros. Nice new fish and thise greens really got thick since arrival.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Green monster means jealousy, it was a joke . Btw be carefull with what you feed your panda uaros, those are almost pure herbivors. You could do a small aquaponic system by diverting tank water to grow lettuce and similar vegetables. You would get less nitrates in the water, cleaner tank and food for your uaros. Nice new fish and thise greens really got thick since arrival.
    Haha, thanks, I thought it was something like that. The Uarus are eating well on organic cucumber at the moment.

Real Name
    Tobi

Picked up some more during the weekend, 3 Tefe green, 2more Beruri and 4 Uatuma Blue. That's quite enough now though, don't want to overcrowd the qt tanks and it's all I'll be able to house comfortably in the new setups.
    One of the Tefe:
    IMG_6027.jpg

One of the blue Uatuma:
    IMG_6032.jpg
    Last edited by Swedgin; 02-21-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast