AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uatuma Red Spotted Green and Madeira Heckels

Registered Member

Default Re: Uatuma Red Spotted Green and Madeira Heckels

Are you sure? That's only 34 wild discus. Nice handful. Best of luck with them. Look real nice.

Real Name
    Tobi

Thank you William, I got my work cut out for me for sure, plus I need to leave some wiggle room for potential future projects, wife permitting.

I'm have yet to find any reference to Green Discus from the Uatuma river anywhere, be it books or the internet. I fear the exporter might have got something confused or made it up. I saw the original list the exporter sent to the importer, so I know the name comes straight from the exporter. If anyone has any references to greens in the Uatuma I'd be grateful if you could share.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Thank you William, I got my work cut out for me for sure, plus I need to leave some wiggle room for potential future projects, wife permitting.

I'm have yet to find any reference to Green Discus from the Uatuma river anywhere, be it books or the internet. I fear the exporter might have got something confused or made it up. I saw the original list the exporter sent to the importer, so I know the name comes straight from the exporter. If anyone has any references to greens in the Uatuma I'd be grateful if you could share.
    I have never heard of any greens from the Uatuma so would be a first for me. Perhaps the fish were mislabeled.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Not too get too personal, but what do those fish cost in Dubai? They seem to be
    quite the investment.
    Jay

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Not too get too personal, but what do those fish cost in Dubai? They seem to be
    quite the investment.
    Jay
    They range from 230$ to 410$, the Heckels and Uatuma Blue being the cheapest of the bunch. I figured get them while there are actually any available here, it's a first that wilds have been imported to Dubai commercially to be sold. All other previous shipments were by private people for their personal collections only.

Having said that, adult Stendkers go for around 250 here, so not such a bad deal on the wilds
    Last edited by Swedgin; 02-23-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I have never heard of any greens from the Uatuma so would be a first for me. Perhaps the fish were mislabeled.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, not that it really bothers me, I'd just be interested in what they really are.

Registered Member

Take an average of $300 per fish X 34 fish = That's over $10,000 in discus! Wow! Business must be booming in Dubai.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Take an average of $300 per fish X 34 fish = That's over $10,000 in discus! Wow! Business must be booming in Dubai.
    Well not having children helps, so I can put those funds towards my animals. Cheaper in the long run actually, at least that's what I tell myself ��. So #35 I got today is well justified. Another Beruri, very red with nice pattern. Beautiful fish, couldn't pass it up. They still have some Putumayo greens left with amazing form, so I have to remind myself I'm at my stocking limit in the qt for now.

Real Name
    Tobi

IMG_6054.jpg
    IMG_6055.jpg
    Here he is, eye is a bit cloudy but easily dealt with

Registered Member

Hey Swedgin - I'm watching a show right now called Tanked. They are in Dubai at a resort called Atantis, The Palm. It's on a man made island. The fish tank there has 3 millions gallons of seawater. 65,000 fish. The glass is 27" thick. All natural sunlight. They can turn over the entire tank water in 17 minutes. Now that's getting it done. Wow! Some engineering. And that's just for starters. I love this kind of stuff. You Dubians aren't afraid to go big, that's for sure. Just curious if you've seen the exhibit. That's awesome.
    Last edited by William1; 02-25-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Real Name
    Tobi

Hey Swedgin - I'm watching a show right now called Tanked. They are in Dubai at a resort called Atantis, The Palm. It's on a man made island. The fish tank there has 3 millions gallons of seawater. 65,000 fish. The glass is 27" thick. All natural sunlight. They can turn over the entire tank water in 17 minutes. Now that's getting it done. Wow! Some engineering. And that's just for starters. I love this kind of stuff. You Dubians aren't afraid to go big, that's for sure. Just curious if you've seen the exhibit. That's awesome.
    Been ages since I've been there, but it was quite nice. They had a rescued (?) whale shark there at the time, not sure if it's still there. Check out the aquarium in Dubai Mall, not too shabby either.

Real Name
    Tobi

Better pics of the new guy without the mood bars:
    IMG_6057.jpg
    IMG_6062.jpg
    IMG_6064.jpg
    Really digging him, one of my favs of all of them.

Registered Member

They also showed the Mall. Largest shopping center mall in the world. The biggest display tank is 110' long and 27' tall. Incredible. I have an Uatuma blue with very similar makings on a lighter brown base. He is a real nice fish.

Real Name
    Tobi

They also showed the Mall. Largest shopping center mall in the world. The biggest display tank is 110' long and 27' tall. Incredible. I have an Uatuma blue with very similar makings on a lighter brown base. He is a real nice fish.
    Haven't seen an update on yours for a while. They ok?

One of the other Beruri:
    IMG_6076.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

Blues are homed, Heckels and Greens to do next

IMG_6193.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast