AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New fish possibly sick

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: New fish possibly sick

Quote Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
    No ,it is nothing at all related to a conventional under gravel filter as explained in detail earlier. The fish has white stringy poop. What is the cause of this?
    How often is the DIY filter get cleaned?If you look in the emergency room posts,you will find most of the issues with young discus are caused by substrate in tanks.You will need to clean this almost on a daily basis for young discus.I've been keeping fish for close to 50 years.I've kept a variety of them from all over the world and the for last twelve some discus.I can say for certain that discus are not like any other fish in their husbandry.When I see white stringy poop Hex is the first thought on my mind,but other infections will have the same symptom as mentioned.Most often protozoa and bacterial.Worms take longer for symptoms to be noticed and usually longer to kill a fish and most likely to be thin.More often than not it is related to their environment,caused by some kind of stressor.I have one discus here up in age and is a big brute,he only ever had one treatment for gill flukes so far in his long life,about two years ago.A clean environment is needed to get these young discus to their potential growth.Best if you can do it and not have to stunt their growth from them getting sick,not eating and using meds in the first place.So, I'd say by looking at your tank,it's their environment.

Real Name
    Rick

One of the most valuable tools in regards to the treatment of sick fish is the hospital tank, yet it is the most often overlooked and just flat out ignored. Treatment in a planted tank, or more specifically a tank with ANY substrate is problematic and seldom successful. A bare bottom hospital tank insures that your fish is getting the proper medication and it is not being wasted or diluted. It also removes the sick fish from stress caused by other fish. You don't treat a child by giving him medication and then letting him play around with other children.

In regards to all the suggestions given, unfortunately that is the way it always is and will be on a forum such as this. There are many good intentioned people here, but that doesn't always equate to the most sound advice, and when you start following the advice of several different people, or trying everything that everyone suggests, well before you know it you have a bigger problem.

As to your questions, a fish can go a longer time than you might suspect without eating, but this largely depends on size. The smaller the fish, the more likely a prolonged hunger strike will cause permanent problems. However, Fish that are, or have been, subjected to medication often stop eating as a result, and it may take a few days for their appetite to return.

As to how long, there is no one single answer, better pictures would help, can I suggest first uploading your pictures to something like photobucket or flikr, so they can be presented properly oriented? My guess for the moment would be once placed into a hospital tank with dim lighting, give them a week. Monitor closely for any changes in behavior.

I hesitate to answer your last question, because I fear given this information that you will not be able to resist to start medicating again, much sooner than I am suggesting. But since you asked, and based on the information I have seen so far, my best guess would be pure metrozindole, not some diluted or shotgun medication that you will find at an LFS, but 100% pure. You can get this at angels plus or Jehmco.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

Also, snails and shrimp, unless purchased from a Known safe source, have no business in a Discus tank. Both of these can serve as an intermediate host to parasites harmful to discus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0054.jpg
    This is the fish that has not eaten at all. This is the one that had the stringy white poop. You can see a bulge on his one side and an indentation on the other.
    Yesterday I did not treat with anything just a 35% water change. After feeding tonight doing a 90% WC.

Yesterday the other fish ate some frozen blood worms. And today has eaten some other dry foods.
    I set up a hospital tank, just a 10 gallon but it should be ok for this one fish. I'm going to move him or her over soon. Any suggestions moving forward are welcome. Thank you.

Quick question. How long do I have to cycle the hospital tank? I did add good bacteria additive and plan on putting my pre filer sponge in the hospital tank.
    Last edited by Mark N; 02-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Registered Member

First confirm water quality. daily ammonia and nitrites. Then check for gill and skin flukes. Have a look under the microscope at the white stringy poop.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Current tank
    Ph 7.4
    Ammonia 0.10 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 5.0 ppm.

Water in hospital tank is.
    Ph 8.0
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm
    This fish has only pooped once that I know of and that was after I treated the tank with epson salt. That is when I noticed the white poop. No eat no poop.
    I would have to purchase a microscope. Currently I do not own one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Just an update for everyone. I set up a hospital tank. 10 gallon moved both the fish over that were not eating. For three days I just did 90% water changes with no meds. I did not see any improvement. I treated with metro the other day. I did not see anything from the one fish. However the other let out like 8" of white poop. The one posted in the above picture. I did see one of them picking at some food but I would not call eating and they have not touched any food since. I am currently still treating with metro.

I also set up a quarantine tank , 30 gallon if they ever make it there.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?... how long should I continue treatment?

Ps all other fish are eating great and are healthy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0071.jpgIMG_0069.jpg
    7 days in hospital tank very little change. Daily 90%water changes. Treating with Metro once again. I really never see them eat. The light fish keeps pooping this white stuff. The other fish nothing at all. I did increase the temp from 86 degrees to 88 degrees. This did increase there activity.

Should I purchased a microscope to look at the poop? PLEASE HELP

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

How are you treating with the metro? Best to use pure metro at 500mg per 10 gallons for a 10 day or better treatment. You will redose after a big water change. Dose for the volume of the tank, not the water replaced.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

I never did agree with the dosage on the API General Cure.It needs more than 6 days and needs to be a bit stronger.Pure metronidazole would be better than that mix.There is no need to use PraziPro,the second ingredint for that long a period.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

IMG_0080.jpgIMG_0076.jpgI am currently using Hikari brand metro+ 1 cap full (9.7g) per 10 gallons. And treating in a 10 gallon tank. 90 to 95% water change per day with full dose of metro.
    This is there recommend directions for what they refer to as a (bath). They recommend this for 5 to 7 days.

How long should It be before I see sines of improvement or they begin to eat again?
    Last edited by Mark N; 02-09-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

It says 7 days or until improvements,but I'd go with at least 10 days."Most" fish start eating around the 5 day mark.

Real Name
    Rick

I hesitate to answer your last question, because I fear given this information that you will not be able to resist to start medicating again, much sooner than I am suggesting. But since you asked, and based on the information I have seen so far, my best guess would be pure metrozindole, not some diluted or shotgun medication that you will find at an LFS, but 100% pure. You can get this at angels plus or Jehmco. My guess for the moment would be once placed into a hospital tank with dim lighting, give them a week.
    For three days I just did 90% water changes with no meds. I did not see any improvement. I treated with metro the other day
    #calledit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    #calledit
    Point taken

I took your advice, as I do appreciate it and respect it. Even if I have not followed it to the last detail.
    The fish were moved to there own tank. Low light ,higher temperatures,bare bottom, frequent and large water changes, air stone, pre filter sponges. Approximately 6 days with no improvement.
    I also know the fish are sick. White poop, not eating,starring at the back of the tank not moving. Yes I will admit. It is difficult to sit and watch them like that without taking further action.
    I take it this brand metro is not pure? I will look into the brands you suggested.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I looked at the Angles plus site. I ordered some items.

I completed treating with the Hikari brand metro for 7 days. Still not eating. No improvements I can see. still white or transparent poop.
    I raised the temperature to 93 degrees and doing 90% WC for the next 7 to 10 days. If no improvement is noticed what would be the next step?? (Levamisole) ???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast