ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus and pea puffers?

Registered Member

Default Discus and pea puffers?

The tank I am planning to set up is a 65 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. Initially I was just planning to do a planted discus/shrimp only tank, but these cute little puffers have a special place in my heart. I wanted to eventually set up another tank for them but it occurred to me that they have the same temperature requirements as discus. From what I have read its recommended to keep pea's in a species only tank (But what fish isn't?) but they can do well in community tanks. They are usually pretty chill, unless the run out of snails to eat, then they turn into fin nippers. I plan to keep a little colony of shrimp and snails in the sump so I always have a supply if my main tank runs out of them.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I plan to get a group of juvinile discus (3-4 inches.) Will the puffers bully the discus? Will the discus bully the puffers? W̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶r̶i̶m̶p̶ ̶r̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶n̶k̶?̶

Thank for any advice as always.

Real Name
    Casey

Default Re: Discus and pea puffers?

Pea puffers are nippers, they go in species only tanks because they will eat chunks out of your other tank mates. Puffers are a predator. Do NOT mix them with your discus, they will be a costly mistake. I had a puffer literally kill a Jack Dempsey.

Real Name
    Phil

Nasty mf'ers for sure. Do not mix they are terrors

Registered Member

Dang, there goes that idea. Species only tank it is.

But yet somehow knowing that a 1 inch little puffer could take out a professional wrestler amuses me. Unless you meant the fish of course

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

maybe they could lbe in ur sump with the snail feast

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I had 6 of them when I first started out, loved watching them. I had them is a community 55g, then they went in a 20g and then to a good friend lol. Nice for a little nano planted tank.