ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: WTB Assorted Discus for 180G in S. FL

Registered Member

Default WTB Assorted Discus for 180G in S. FL

Im looking to buy an assortment of discus for my 180G. Let me know price and package thanks. If you have any questions feel free to ask me thanks

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: WTB Assorted Discus for 180G in S. FL

Checkout our sponsors near to you, you will find what you want and will get door to door service .......................http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...iscus-Sponsors
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Somethingsfishy.com seems like the best prices for an assorted group of 12-18. Is anyone familiar with them?

Real Name
    Phil

If you are going with an "assorted group " and basing it off price alone, not to be harsh, but you are setting yourself up for failure.

Also check out the reviews on that place and you will know why they seem to good to be true ( they are)

Do yourself a favor. Buy from a reputable home breeder or even a sponsor who has some smaller cheap offerings.

Trust me it will make a world of a difference

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    If you are going with an "assorted group " and basing it off price alone, not to be harsh, but you are setting yourself up for failure.

Also check out the reviews on that place and you will know why they seem to good to be true ( they are)

Do yourself a favor. Buy from a reputable home breeder or even a sponsor who has some smaller cheap offerings.

Trust me it will make a world of a difference
    Thanks Phil. Im sure I dont have to tell you but there are always good deals to be had when youre putting a large order together as long as you find the right person. As far as an assorted group goes I dont see how thats setting myself up for failure? I read the reviews on the website and they all seem great thats the reason I asked here.

I came over from monsterfishkeepers. Ive been keeping cichla, crencichla, larger catfish and arowanas for over a decade so I'm not new to fish keeping just new to the discus game and figured this would be the best place to get useful info from. MFK has a discus section but its not as robust and dedicated as this site is but they also try to point a fellow hobbyist in the right direction instead of telling people theyre going to fail.

ill post some pics when the tank is done

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi SoFloCody and welcome to Simply. Please read this about Somethingsfishy.com and go from there http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hishy-feedback. I think what Phil is referring to is getting an assortment of discus from different vendors. This is never a good scenario with discus as each source needs to be QTed away from each other and carefully added together. Getting an assortment from the same vendor can be QTed together.

While I respect that you have experience with other fish, keeping discus is at a whole different level. They are not hard if you follow good QT practices and understand their need for clean water and tank. There are many good resources here. I suggest you start with the stickies in the beginner section and especially with this one. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...CH-THIS-VIDEO!.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi SoFloCody and welcome to Simply. Please read this about Somethingsfishy.com and go from there http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hishy-feedback. I think what Phil is referring to is getting an assortment of discus from different vendors. This is never a good scenario with discus as each source needs to be QTed away from each other and carefully added together. Getting an assortment from the same vendor can be QTed together.

While I respect that you have experience with other fish, keeping discus is at a whole different level. They are not hard if you follow good QT practices and understand their need for clean water and tank. There are many good resources here. I suggest you start with the stickies in the beginner section and especially with this one. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...CH-THIS-VIDEO!.
    Pat
    Ok you guys saved me a few hundred dollars thank you

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote in 2010.

One of the most important things is to start off by buying healthy fish. even if they cost a little more. Otherwise, this could be one of your biggest reasons for failure-- even if you do everything else right. Very few pet shops keep discus correctly or healthy. I said very few because there are some great pet shops out there. But by and large, when it comes to discus, you're usually better off buying from a breeder or discus vendor. Most are reputable, but not all. Do your homework first. You can do a web search on the breeder's name or business. You can also check on the various discus and fish forums and ask questions.

You have two people within driving distance from you that you might want to check out. They both allow visitors, but you need to call them first to make sure they will be in.
    Just because you visit them doesn't mean you have to buy from them. www.wattleydiscus.com and www.discususa.com
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Casey

Glad you're going to give discus a shot. I was in the exact same place as you 5 or 6 years ago. I had kept everything under the sun and the only thing I knew about discus is they look cool and die. I made every single mistake they listed. More than once I am sure. Finally I set up, got my ducks in a row and did things by the discus protocol. Not one death, not one long night hoping my $200 fish is there in the morning.

The guys on here can come off a little harsh sometimes, but it is because they care about the hobby and care about the image of the hobby. The last thing they want is you to go buy 20 discus 18 of them die in a week from gill flukes or whirring diseas then you go back to monster fish keepers forum and post "discus suck! They just die!"

So the people on here take a hard line approach, "DO EXACTLY THIS" and it is a formula that is proven successful over and over.

Good luck and if we can help, let us know. Always happy to help.

Oh and Uncle Sams is a great place
    Last edited by Lido; 01-27-2017 at 07:40 PM.