ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: What is your favourite discus if keeping a single strain?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red turquoise discus

5 35.71%
  • Red spotted green discus

1 7.14%
  • Wild green discus

4 28.57%
  • Galaxy turquoise discus

1 7.14%
  • Altum flora discus

3 21.43%

Thread: Help with strain selection and identification please!

Registered Member

Default Help with strain selection and identification please!

Hey all!

Just need some help with figuring out what these strains actually are, I've got four which I'd like to know the names of as they're in my shortlist. Google helps but unfortunately you see the same pictures labeled different names which confuses things.

I believe this to be a red turquoise
    DSC00722web.jpg

I think this may be a red spotted green
    39985736f3c262c106f30e1419970ec6.jpg

I think this is a wild green
    11450447_f260.jpg

I'm think to go for 8 red turqs or 8 red spotted greens as they seem to be my favourite.

What is the difference between a red turq and a galaxy turq? they look near on identical on google images lol

What is the difference between a giant/altum flora and a red turq aside from size and shape? the altums just look a bit darker like a blue turq.

Would the care requirements for a red spotted green be the same as a red turq or are they more particular about their water or more shy?

What is your favourite discus out of the three pictured above?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Help with strain selection and identification please!

Bit of a loaded question but let me see if I can help. First off the first picture is what is referred to as a domestic discus, tank raised, and man made. The second grouping are wild discus. As in direct from the source of the amazon waters. That middle picture however is questionable. Could be a true wild, if so its amazing, could be some cross of some type?

Some may tell you the care for each is different, I am one who does not and I don't treat my wilds any different than my domestics.

A lot of times names and strain ID's are all a catchy selling point. If we call this blue moon starlight sapphire of the sun people are like *** thats amazing. If we say here is blue fish people are like blahhh. So as you can see a lot of it is marketing. Other times it gives a hint or a nod to the genes or background info, more for breeding purposes of what would match well. If they have x amount of bars or this gene or that.

At the end of the day, this is a very personal decision. Your best bet is to stay off google images as people can get super crafty with LED's and or Photoshop.

Look at the sponsor section here, you will see actual fish pics and tank pics. That will show you a true view. Go through Kenny's crazy monthly shipments. He follows them all up with actual eating and tank pics. Kenny you order as if it was a menu, what you see is what you get, almost as good as being there!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

any single species group is better than a mixed group IMO. it is really up to personal preference as for what type but I think single species just looks so much more natural and real. I voted for Green discus, but that's just because its what I have and love. get what you like, who cares what they are called, lots of breeders make up their own names. red turquoise would look outstanding as a single species tank
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    any single species group is better than a mixed group IMO. it is really up to personal preference as for what type but I think single species just looks so much more natural and real. I voted for Green discus, but that's just because its what I have and love. get what you like, who cares what they are called, lots of breeders make up their own names. red turquoise would look outstanding as a single species tank
    I'm with Jacklyn on this.

Registered Member

I'd have to agree in that I prefer the look of a single strain group of discus rather than a mixed group.

I'll be going for a red turq group unless i can get my hands of a bunch that look like the second picture.... which i'm guessing will be like rocking horse sh*t lol

You guys over in the states seem to have a much bigger selection and more quality strains and breeders than we do in the UK, to say I'm jealous is an understatement!

I'd love some discus from Kenny, Hans and the Piwos look so awesome