AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Carib Sea sand ideal for discus?

Registered Member

Default Is Carib Sea sand ideal for discus?

I recently moved my all male peacocks to a smaller tank and started keeping discus in the well established 125. I have the Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix (semi-fine black and white) and just wanted to know if this was ok for discus. I've done some searching and can't seem to find an answer!

Registered Member

Default Re: Is Carib Sea sand ideal for discus?

Don`t have my discus tank up yet, but have done lots and lots of research. Long as it isn`t the saltwater or african cichlid sands you should be fine. So your particular one wont work because it will give the water a higher PH than discus need.
    Some people hang pictures.
    Some people prefer living art in aquariums.

Real Name
    Eric

Bare bottom tank is ideal for discus, anything else is a compromise. You need sand that you can thoroughly siphon if you go that route, I believe that sand is too light and will get sucked up with the poop, but you would know better having first hand experience. Most who chose to have a substrate go for pool filter sand for this reason.

I have Carib Sea white sand in my discus tank. Its light and moves around. I also suck up a fair amount with WC's.
    I could not find pool sand at the time so I went with it.

It's ok but would not use it again if I can find pool sand.

Is this substrate meant to keep the pH high?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I have Carib Sea white sand in my discus tank. Its light and moves around. I also suck up a fair amount with WC's.
    I could not find pool sand at the time so I went with it.

It's ok but would not use it again if I can find pool sand.
    Usually Carib Sea is usually ok, but you have too keep in mind he has African cichlid mix which has a higher PH.
    the description says quote "resist the eventual downward drift of pH in long established or crowded systems" and discus prefer lower PH.
    https://www.caribsea.com/caribsea_af...ichlidmix.html

yep, that's why I asked the question I did.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I like the CaribSea 'Super Naturals' in the finer sizes like Sunset Gold or Torpedo Beach. They don't effect pH.

Registered Member

The PH thing really was my concern. Knowing that I should probably look at switching out. What is the best recommended substrate? I know bare bottom is ideal but I like the look of some substrate. If I felt like a complete tear down I could probably paint the bottom to make bare bottom more tolerable but that will have to wait for a future time...

Registered Member

Since the 4 years i have kept aquariums CaribSea SuperNaturals sand is my favorite. Especially in the black.

Registered Member

Hova, I would recommend pool filter sand. It's cheap and easy to vacuum. You can find it at a big box home improvement store or pool supply place. I've been using it for 10 plus years and have never had a problem, and I run low pH water.

Registered Member

Being in Florida I'm thinking pool filter sand won't be hard to find! Thanks guys.

On another note, has anyone painted the bottom of their tank before? I've seen people do it but the problem is with the 125 there's 2 cross braces. I can't imagine it would be easy to paint those from the bottom to cover them up. I'll probably crawl under the tank tonight before getting sand to see if there's any wiggle to paint them. That sounds like a total PITA but would give me the look of sand with the ease of cleaning of bare bottom...

Real Name
    Jacklyn

pool filter sand/caribsea supernaturals sand/and carib sea instant aquarium is my recommendations if going with anything other than bare bottom.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by *HOVA* View Post
    Being in Florida I'm thinking pool filter sand won't be hard to find! Thanks guys.

On another note, has anyone painted the bottom of their tank before? I've seen people do it but the problem is with the 125 there's 2 cross braces. I can't imagine it would be easy to paint those from the bottom to cover them up. I'll probably crawl under the tank tonight before getting sand to see if there's any wiggle to paint them. That sounds like a total PITA but would give me the look of sand with the ease of cleaning of bare bottom...
    A lot of people paint the bottom, or slide some form of paper or foam board under it. Maybe when you do a big WC drop the level real low, if you have a buddy over they can help you get it under. A lot easier than painting and not permanent

Registered Member

I've painted tanks before just not the bottom. My concern is the big black braces showing. Maybe paint the bottom black and the back of it a lighter blue? I suppose that would somewhat make it difficult to see detritus on the bottom but would look more seamless. The silicone is also black so it would match well with that too.

Real Name
    Phil

I guess I am missing your issue? Do you not like that the brace and bottom color will be off? Why not paint all the glass the color you want or a sand color and the braces are the braces...? The point of painting is to deter reflections or a weird view for the fish to be headstanding as they try to look at themselves... right? the glass will all be covered and the braces are a black plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast