ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How many can I fit?

Real Name
    Steve

Default How many can I fit?

I've started a 55 gal planted tank as an experiment. I've got a pair of GB rams, 3 sterbai cory's and some cherry shrimp. I want to get some schooling fish and I am still researching what I want. Suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering how many of these fish I can comfortably put in the tank. I'd like to get at least 2 or 3 different schools. Most seem to max out at 1.5 to 2 inches. Thanks.

P.S. No plans to include discus for now.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 01-27-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: How many can I fit?

Steve,

I guess for me it all depends on your WC schedule and regiment? To me its a simple bio-load question. Do you want to do little WC or weekly, or more...

You can never go wrong with Rummies and or Cardinals. I have reaally wanted to try some hatchets myself.

Maybe a small group of hatchets for the top of the tank, some tetra's for the middle and up that corry collection a bit, plus they will help in-between the plants with left over food!

I'd love to see pics...

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Phil. It's really very rough at the moment, just stuck the plants in the substrate to get them established and start playing with it. If it goes well, I'm considering setting up a larger tank later. I've read the rams want clean water like discus and I'm hoping to get by with about a 75% WC weekly. Would that be enough?

Real Name
    Phil

I've never really kept rams with any success, only tried once or twice. So I am not sure about the water params but I would think that is ok, especially heavily planted to help as a natural filter.

That is also what I meant about bio load, I mean I had 10 plus adult discus in a 55. So you having say maybe 40 tetras and another 10 hatchets on 75% weekly should be rather solid. You may only know by trial and error. Maybe add two groups, do your water changes and check levels after a few weeks if things are good and stable maybe add another group if not you stop where you are?

Real Name
    Steve

Even just a ball-park would be helpful. We plan 10 gal per discus. I'm thinking "how many fish per gallon, or inches per gallon." I'd like to make at least minimal schools.

Real Name
    Mervin

+1 with the hatchets.I have some in with discus and they are great tank mates.A nice choice if you want to have something for upper layer schooling fish.

Real Name
    Steve

How about pencilfish? OK with GB rams? Discus?

Registered Member

I have many times seen "1 inch of fish per gallon" given as a very general rule of thumb.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    How about pencilfish? OK with GB rams? Discus?
    It would depend on there size.In a 55 gal.I personally would not put tank mates in with discus other than a pleco to help clean up the left overs.6 full grown discus would be pushing it and is not perfect size for a group of full grown discus.

Buenos Aires tetras, bloodfin tetras, rummynose tetras, or white clouds all look great in schools. White clouds are smaller fish. I've got a school of 12 Buenos Aires tetras in a large 350gal planted tank. They look good, and get larger than other tetras.

-Leland

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    It would depend on there size.In a 55 gal.I personally would not put tank mates in with discus other than a pleco to help clean up the left overs.6 full grown discus would be pushing it and is not perfect size for a group of full grown discus.
    Thanks Mervin. I'm not really looking to put any discus in this particular 55. It's my planted experiment and I want to add some schooling fish with the GBrams. If all were to go well, I might convert a 75 or even start a bigger tank that might include discus, so just wondering which fish might cross over in that case. Really way down the road. I saw pencilfish were native to South America so I was wondering if they would be good additions with the rams, or too active.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Try chili rasboras. I love that tiny little fish. You can have a huge school in a 55g as well. I had over 100 of them in my 55g fully planted tank with co2.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mervin

If your wondering how many fish in a 55 gal.I had 75 cardinals in a 55 and there was room for rams or other small cichlids.See here.