ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing out the new lens

Real Name
    Matt

Default Testing out the new lens

Not cropped or maybe composed the best. This was more like test shots putting the lens through it's trial run. Bit of a wet gloomy day so lighting and conditions were not the best, and there wasn't to many birds out and about. It's the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II. Lemme know what you think!
    100-400 II test by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Testing out the new lens

Looks nice and sharp Matt. Are you happy with it? I am taking the 200-500 out tomorrow for the second time. I am so excited about it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks, very much so Pat. The extra reach is something I am not used to, and to be that sharp at close to 400 is great. And that is on my old body too, can't wait to pair it with a new body that can utilize it better. I plan to get a 1.4x tele extender which would effectively give me around 560mm.

Really want to shoot on a sunny day, might not see one of those until next week.
    -Matt

Hey Matt,
    Looks like it does a really nice job at the 400 mm end. Those shots are all at f5.6. Iso
    320? I wonder how bumping up the iso a bit would work. That was tough lighting but the colors look good.

How does it do at the 100-300mm ???
    I like the wood thrush (first pic) alot.If thats what it is , They arent easy birds. Secretive usually.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Looking at these again, Neat seeing a Junco there. They spend winters all through the The USA but it odd when I think you have them. Here in CT they are our snow birds... coming in with the snows. They spend their summers way up north...boreal forests and woodlands...though some do stay year round in some high elevations.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Al you would know better than me on the birds, seeing no yellow eye that what I have always called "Brown Thrush" (really Thrasher I guess) typically have I'd say you are probably right. To my inexperienced eye they both resemble each other from afar. And it seems that may very well be a Junco. Always see them around "winter" here if you can call it that (but hey they are calling for some snow this weekend! Doubt that happens). I can't wait until hummingbird season to try the lens out.

To be honest I didn't have much time to go through all the focal lengths or dive much into changing ISOs and such, started getting dark outside. Will have to do that in the next few days. I mainly wanted to see what kind of reach I could get as a first test. If the clouds clear a bit tonight I might see what I can do with the moon.
    -Matt

Matt, they look nice and sharp. What camera body? Did you shoot in RAW and add anything in post, or are these JPEGS from the camera with some in camera processing?
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Matt

This is with my 5D MK II, about to get a new body though. I shot in RAW, added a slight unsharpen mask and adjusted white balance as usual, and barely touched the vibrance/saturation on the squirrel photos to make them a bit more natural. If I was PPing them further I'd take out that old electric fence wire for sure.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Few more. Another gloomy wet day, waiting on the snow.

Carolina Chickadee (I think) with a 100% crop
    Chickadee by Matt, on Flickr
    Chickadee crop by Matt, on Flickr

Squirrel friend loves to pose
    Squirrel by Matt, on Flickr

Is this to much of an artsy crop of a nuthatch? To much black on the left? Also a 100% crop.
    nuthatch by Matt, on Flickr
    nuthatch crop by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Real Name
    Rob

Not too much black in that... I think the crop is perfect. The black draws your eyes to the subject perfectly. I like the contrast you have in that photo. Very good job!

Holy smokes. I can never get that close to bird without them flyin off!

Really awesome Matt. You should bring some prints down to the wildlife expo next month.
    -Elliot

Matt, the chickadee shows what that lens can do. Impressive. I think you got yourself the extra reach you wanted. Pick up a good quality teleconverter and you should be able to have some real fun. Enjoy it. Next up you need Petersons Field guide to eastern birds and National Geographics Birds of North America. Taking pics of birds is fun, but you need to know what they are called to label them or maybe sell them!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

I must of missed these replies, didn't see the notification I guess. Thanks all. Al, a 1.4x teleconverter is on the list and will be one of the next things I pickup. They are actually fairly cheap for the extra reach you gain. Will get me out to about 560mm, with a new body it will be with auto focus too which is great. These older bodies can't use auto focus through the teleconverter most times. LOL I'm not the best with names. A lot of times, even sometimes here, I'll know a bird as one thing that i've heard all my life and then I read here or elsewhere and it changes the ID completely. One of those, but grandma always called it this type of moments.

We had a bit of snow the other day (now it's back in the 70s), was hoping for a Cardinal in the snow but none showed. Really really excited this summer to go after Hummingbirds and Eastern Bluebirds. We have the Blues year round and I saw multiple the other day but I tend to really see them out in the summer time.
    -Matt

Matt,
    Do you have a place to set up a bluebird house? They have special needs as far as house type and need to be protected off the ground on a post with a good open flyway but theres no better way to get them hanging around. Nows a good time to set it up. We have a couple here that get used each year.

Also if they make one for canon...tamron makes some good quality teleconverters. I have a couple of the pentax ones and a tamron and I think the tamron is dang pretty good.
    1484866747442-762631259.jpg

14848668815051974985254.jpg

I definitely think teleconverters have a good use in wildlife photography.... you lose some light and a little resolution but sometimes photography is a trade off between what you wish you had and what you actually have!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-19-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Yeah Al, we have houses set up at the family farm property. Had them ever since I can remember, I remember being lifted up to peak in the houses when I was young to see the eggs/babies after the parents went on a food run. They tend to like the houses near the open fields. Good visibility of their surroundings.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast