ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Biotopes anyone? Wild Heckels are the plan

Real Name
    Dominic

Default Biotopes anyone? Wild Heckels are the plan

IMG_9257.jpg Here's what is the begging of my wild Heckel tank. I haven't gotten them in yet but I plan to in the near future. Its a 125 with Manzania wood and river stones and heavily washed play sand. I will be running a Fluval FX6 and 2 300 watt heaters (so one doesn't have to work as hard.) The plan is to get 8 Rio Negro Heckels from John. Anyone know what water parameters are best for those Heckels? Also diets? Thanks guys, gimme your feedback. :)

Also i will be trimming the driftwood so a discus doesn't poke its eyes out.
    My Aquatic Science teacher gave me the nickname "Fish Whisperer" and I didn't get it for nothing!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Biotopes anyone? Wild Heckels are the plan

your wood is nicely placed, really like how they all flow in the same direction and are fitted toward one side and not centered. Personally I think you have too many stones, too many places for poo to hide and not be siphoned. Also asthetically the rocks look forced and unnatural.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Phil

Wow gorgeous set up. When do you plan to add the heckles ??

Real Name
    Tobi

Aesthetically very pleasing, good luck with the project.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    your wood is nicely placed, really like how they all flow in the same direction and are fitted toward one side and not centered. Personally I think you have too many stones, too many places for poo to hide and not be siphoned. Also asthetically the rocks look forced and unnatural.
    I kind of agree with this. Very beautiful setup but the stones would look better if they were more on the right and almost bare stone on the left. Maybe even take out a few. Other than thay, this is a wonderful set up

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

As suggested by Jacklyn and Ricardo, it is a really nice biotoe. The branches look like they naturally fell into their current positions but I too would suggest removing some of the rocks. I would pull the rock out from underneath the branches and arrange them along the outside where the tips of the branches are. Arrange in groups of two or three and do minimal stacking. Only one only stone after the wood stops towards the left. Moving the rocks away from the back will make the tank look deeper.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Now that's the kind of tank I would love to have in my living room! For the stake of easy cleaning of the bottom, I would remove the stones, just my two cents. I got six Rio Negro Heckles (SM) from John four weeks ago, loving these little guys. So far all are healthy and doing great. Good luck with your tank and fish. Welcome to the wild side....

Real Name
    Jörgen

Simple but yet so gorgeous tank!

Real Name
    Dominic

Thank you everybody for the feedback! I also agree with removing some of the stones, I have been staring at the tank as of lately and thinking that there is too many stones. I'll get to rescaping tonight and show y'all the update.

Phillydubs, I don't have an exact date, but I'm hoping within a month or two.

Also, what do y'all feed your wilds?
    My Aquatic Science teacher gave me the nickname "Fish Whisperer" and I didn't get it for nothing!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

mine eat Al's FDBW mainly, occasionally they get frozen bloodworms, or live blackworms, and in the summer/fall they get all the live mosquito larvae I can find.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Paul

I like the scape. Makes me wish I didn't have the huge center brace so I could start over.

Just like Jacklyn I feed mine Al's FDBW mostly with the occasional frozen blood worms and live white worms.

Registered Member

Nice one, but i would ditch the stones are replace it with dry leaves (take Mike Tucci tank as a blueprint). Regarding feeding: veggie flakes, wild gran, dennerle granules (they have probiotic bacteria), fd blackworms, live daphnia, live mosquito larvae (both can be cultured outside (what your neighbours would say about it though...), live whiteworms, maybe live red cherry shrimps. I would ditch seafood/bh mix altogether.