AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cannister filter OFF.. how long can the BB last?

Default Cannister filter OFF.. how long can the BB last?

Ok.. so the situation is, in my community tank, i have two canisters running simultaneously (because i had two lying around but only one tank to filter - 400L)

When i disconnected one of them for its routine clean one of the u-pipes snapped off clean.. bye bye filter.. I'm getting a replacement cannister but due to Chinese New Year this it won't be available to put back in until 5 days after it happened.

My question is - the beneficial bacteria? How long is it good for and can/should i transfer the old media into the new canister? Or should i just start a fresh?

Thanks in advance!
    250L (66 US-G) Bare-bottom - 2 x Red Turquoise, 2 x Blue, 1 x White Face Red Melon, Ancistrus catfish - Sunsun Canister Filter, Jebo Heater set to 30c, Odyssea 2 bulb light........ “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Cannister filter OFF.. how long can the BB last?

In 5 days it'll be dead.Can your rinse it off and put it in your tank or other filter?If you have another filter with established BB,you should be fine until your new filter gets seeded.

Ok thanks. Thought that might be the case but always best to check..

I'll wait till the new one is available.. wash the old media in tank water and add that to new filter. Then run it alongside the other filter...

Real Name
    Ricardo

If your BB has been in the confines of the dead filter for more than 24hrs, i'd say to just simply forget trying to recoup it. Just rinse it off and put it in the new filter when it comes in. The current filter will have enough BB to support your current tank, but you will probably need to increase your water changes for a few days.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com