ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: water sprite in refug

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Default water sprite in refug

So, I went to Meijer today during lunch to pick up some items and noticed they had a fish and plant section in the back of the store. They had "HUGE" water sprite plants for sale for $5! They were easily 4 x + bigger than Petsmart and 1/2 the price. I plan on putting it in the refug area of the sump. As I'm walking out the store (after purchasing 3 large plants) the lady states "I would rinse those really good because we have duck weed in our tanks and it will take over everything." YIKES! So, my questions to all you experts who have already helped out a lot.....

1. Which method is best for treating plant for snails......bleach method, salt method, hydrogen peroxide method?

2. What advice/recommendations do you have to make sure any duckweed is not on the sprite before placing in the tank after quarantine?

As always, thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: water sprite in refug

Greg , since you are about to use the watersprite as a nutrient sucker in your refug chamber you don't have to worry about duckweed taking over.More fastgrowing duckweed and watersprite in your refuge , less nutrients in your water column , which is your original goal at the first place .

As for sterilization method I allways use Bleach water 19:1 solution for dipping plants prior use with my discus fish . I'm not 100% sure that it will kill all the snails , but this is considered to be effective method to keep potentially harmful pathogens off your pricey discus stock.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: water sprite in refug

That stuff grows so fast all you needed was a leave.Less plant would have been easier to treat.