AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wild Type Stendker VS Santarem Question

Registered Member

Default Wild Type Stendker VS Santarem Question

Hi my first post, hope I'm in the right area. I'm in Canada and looking at either bringing in wilds from Santarem or the wild types (santarem, tefe, alenquer) from Stendker? My ph should be around 7.4-7.6. Wondering if there is a better route to order from or if I'm out to lunch on keeping the ones directly from Santarem.

Fish list for the Stendker available to me.
    http://www.discusparadise.com/wp-con...Liste-prix.jpg

Is there another supplier I'm missing? Thanks

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Wild Type Stendker VS Santarem Q

At that ph you are better off with Stendkers or any othe tank breds. Especially if these are tobe your first Discus. Took me 15 years to dare take on wilds. Not saying you should wait that long but at a ph over 7 you won't be able to get the full potential of wilds. You could age your water to lower ph and keep it somewhat stable, or use buffers, peat etc to bring it down, but once you start messing with that you might have a hard time keeping the ph stable, which seems to be importand for wilds.

Just my opinion though and I'm sure there are more experienced members who can help you out further.

Registered Member

My experience is far different. I've been keeping six Uatuma River blue discus in water over 8 Ph since May. They are big and thriving.
    Try John at Snookn21 or it's called Freshwater Tropicals. Google that name. He has great wild discus at good prices. The price list doesn't exactly match the photos, but you can contact him. Very healthy and acclimated. He even said don't worry about the Ph the one time I talked to him on the phone. Change 60% of water a week was his suggestion. I change like 20% a day. Point is I guess, wild discus are not hard to keep. In fact, I find them to be pretty tough, as in hardy. Now if you want to breed them, that may require having a lower Ph. So I've gleaned I think. I'm not sure, I'm just getting to that stage now. Not sure if I need that to happen anyway.
    Check out Snooky. Good fish.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    My experience is far different. I've been keeping six Uatuma River blue discus in water over 8 Ph since May. They are big and thriving.
    Try John at Snookn21 or it's called Freshwater Tropicals. Google that name. He has great wild discus at good prices. The price list doesn't exactly match the photos, but you can contact him. Very healthy and acclimated. He even said don't worry about the Ph the one time I talked to him on the phone. Change 60% of water a week was his suggestion. I change like 20% a day. Point is I guess, wild discus are not hard to keep. In fact, I find them to be pretty tough, as in hardy. Now if you want to breed them, that may require having a lower Ph. So I've gleaned I think. I'm not sure, I'm just getting to that stage now. Not sure if I need that to happen anyway.
    Check out Snooky. Good fish.
    Fair point, like I said, I'm new to wilds and base all my knowledge on what I read so far. I might be way off. My ph from tap is pretty low so I don't have to worry about that.
    By all means give them a try, nothing beats their natural beauty and behavior. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Edit: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...scus-Available

Looks like he has a good selection, and very good value by any means. A group of those depending on what you get might be less costly than getting stendkers. I'm really jealous of you guys across the pond regarding availability of wild fish, here I depend on one importer and it's a take it or leave it kinda deal at not so funny prices.
    Last edited by Swedgin; 02-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Registered Member

Just out of curiosity what would those funny prices be?
    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Fair point, like I said, I'm new to wilds and base all my knowledge on what I read so far. I might be way off. My ph from tap is pretty low so I don't have to worry about that.
    By all means give them a try, nothing beats their natural beauty and behavior. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Edit: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...scus-Available

Looks like he has a good selection, and very good value by any means. A group of those depending on what you get might be less costly than getting stendkers. I'm really jealous of you guys across the pond regarding availability of wild fish, here I depend on one importer and it's a take it or leave it kinda deal at not so funny prices.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Just out of curiosity what would those funny prices be?
    Jay
    240 US$ for 4" Heckel for example, with half his dorsal fin missing

IMG_5818.jpg

240 US$ for scarred up greens (and I mean old scars that must have been there when they were caught)

prices are for each fish

all non acclimatised, full of fungus and ammonia burns

then I see John's prices

don't get me wrong, I love my fish and am glad I have them, their faults add character. It's just that I would like to have the choice