AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My tank..

Real Name
    Casey

Default My tank..

So after careful consideration of my new discus that are in quarantine I have decided to remove all the sand, river rock and driftwood from my 150 gallon display tank.

With the 7 I have in it and the 5 I am adding along with my rummynose the cleaning will just be too hard to maintain the ideal conditions they deserve.

Wish my luck, my current discus are already pretty pissed off!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Re: My tank..

I think you will do fine. My discus have lived in bare bottom 200G with nothing to hide behind for extended periods of time and they are happy so long as the water parameters are perfect, the tank is clean and they are well fed. Some of them bicker (as always). My mated pair spawn like clockwork whether there is substrate or not, decor or none. I think the only time you will run into problems if there is severe aggression/territoriality then maybe some form of decor would be good to allow hiding places.

Real Name
    Casey

Yeah, I was really just concerned about water quality issues with substrate and whatnot. I may introduce some driftwood down the road, not sure.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Jacklyn

aren't yours wilds?? I would suggest painting the bottom of your tank if you are going to remove the sand. many of us, in fact most of us, keep a layer of sand for our wilds because without it or a painted bottom they continuously try to swim through the bottom of the tank and it stresses them to the max.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    aren't yours wilds?? I would suggest painting the bottom of your tank if you are going to remove the sand. many of us, in fact most of us, keep a layer of sand for our wilds because without it or a painted bottom they continuously try to swim through the bottom of the tank and it stresses them to the max.
    I second that. I wish someone had warned me. I had to learn the hard way. Boundaries are very important for wild or even the first few gens removed from crossing back to wild. At least this has been my experience.

Real Name
    Casey

Jacalyn and Doc, mine are F1 they are a generation removed from wild and crossed with a domestic. It's kind of the "learners permit" to wilds the way I see it. I will be going full wild after I get my domestics breeding again.